Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Building a deltawing

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Building a deltawing

I'm thinking about building an RC deltawing for a 24 hour race in a few months time.

I'd be basing it on a Mi5 Evo. I'd mostly just be changing the front end. I'd be going a TA06 cantilever suspension set up to make room to narrow it. I can get custom narrow front arms cut so that's not a problem and I'd like to keep it 4wd so I'll have to find some narrow front CVDs.

For the body I'm going to have to make my own by making a wooden buck, a fiber glass mold then plaster of Paris to make the final form for molding on.

As for the rules list, I have to go of this. http://www.radiocaraa.com/RCAA/RC_Super_Cars.html They're fairly open and I've messaged the club that's running the 24 if it'd be allowed and they said it would be.

My question is, will it work? I'm having to use normal 24mm wide touring car tires all round so it can't be as narrow as the real deltawing and it'd be 4wd. So to all the smart engineering types/engineers on here. What problems am I going to face with this design? I know it's rather stupid to ask that as I'm better of finding out on my own but I thought I'd better ask someone that would know how it'd work in theory at least about it.

-Jeremy
Old 08-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

since endurance racing is all about total laps, it may not be a good idea to use to many self fabricated or custom parts/ parts that are hard to get. that way if you break, you would have a hard time getting something working unless you had an extra of that same exact part. or just have a couple of every custom or hard to get part. you don't want to be stranded in the pits trying to fab up stuff.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Actually most of the car is going to be normal kit. The only custom parts are the front arms and body. CVD's are coming from a M05 if they fit and the cantilever rockers are Tamiya (#54313) TA06 Aluminum Rocker Arm. I will be getting a few pairs of front arms though and a whole other kit I'll build into assemblies that will bolt in rather than putting in parts one by one.

-Jeremy
Old 08-24-2014, 11:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Just as long as you have extras.

I don't think it's going to look much like the delta wing though... Just a touring car with a narrow front end. (Think m chassis front, standard rc rear) even if it doesn't look quite like this delta, it will still surely be pretty sweet.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As the front axle is narrow the weight shift to the front outside tire will be different. I cannot imagine that you will generate more grip. The rules state rubber tires in general. I would suggest to check softer front compounds for the testdrives to readjust the balance/steering as well as regarding the weight balance.

Last edited by wtcc; 08-25-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm not too worried about it not being like the real deltawing. Not a replica anyway, a base for an idea really.

My idea for starting the project is to have a car that's very easy on it's tires so we can run a soft tire for a lot of grip while still having a set last over an hour.

I'm actually going to run it in a few club races for testing, R&D and to see if it will have any edge on the competition.

The hard part so far is working out where I can mount the front shocks and cantilevers.

-Jeremy
Old 08-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A car with a narrow front end in relation to rear end is going to have twitchy steering at high speeds. I would suggest using a transmitter with adjustable exponential steering to help with any issues.

Another thing to consider is overall front to rear weight balance. Since the front end will be narrower (less total mass), you may want/need to add ballast to improve front grip/handling.

Regardless of any challenges, good luck on your efforts.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Do a search through the forum...someone else has done this same thing and scratch built one body and all. Might give you some ideas.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Not sure about the rules for aero, but it seems to me as Indy said you might have a problem with front grip. A normal TC will have some width to "lever" against and create tire friction for traction. With a narrowed front you may have to run a larger front splitter (more aero downforce in the front), to make up for the loss of width.

Just an idea, a non tested theory... Great idea, loved the Nismo LeMans car, post up pictures when your done would love to see how it turned out. GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-25-2014, 12:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Silberpfeil, ambitious idea.

I think it would have a tendency to traction roll, if you get it narrow and enough steering angle. I think you need to turn as many laps as possible before hand to get the setup sorted and iron out issues. See how many laps a set of tires are good for, have spare TX batteries ready.

One would need an approach to changing batteries quickly to allow as much time as possible on track.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just picked up a new Sanwa M12 a few weeks ago so that's no problem at all. I'm actually thinking of using a front gear diff rather than a spool to hopefully solve the weight issue without adding more weight.

I saw that thread before but it's too pan car based for me to get any good ideas from it. I love the body though, beautiful for a home made shell.

I might have to run a splitter somehow but I'm fairly sure it will be alright at high speed and no doubt twitchy. A splitter would make it way too twitchy at high speed. I hope a gear diff in the front will work to get the car to rotate at low - mid speed and in tight corners.

I'm going to do a build thread on my blog and here. I'm going to need at much help as I can get with this project.

Indeed it is, Reese. I'm looking at planing it for 2 months so I'll have 3 months of testing before the big event. The Sanwa M12 has a normal servo plug so I'm planing to change the radio battery every few hours in a normal pit stop. I'm most likely going to turn the steering EPA down or use a lot of expo.

As for battery changes. I'm going to use a Schumacher Racing Carbon Fiber LiPo Battery Strap for the Mi4 and a normal strap plate with pins for a faster change than taping.

-Jeremy