Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree254Likes

Tamiya TRF419

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TryHard
Want to explain why you suggest using less castor for long sweeping turns... or is that just the usual pie in the sky comment?
I'll keep the pie to myself, thank you very much.

Not interested in your let's play possum games.

Last edited by niznai; 03-23-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Hi,

Where can i read/learn more about impact of front arm settings?
Let's say difference between C-C block setting vs C-B setting with shim to have same wheelbase. Toe both case 1 degree.
I would like to understand differences (advantage, disadvanage), if any.

Thanks,
Marton

Originally Posted by TryHard
C/B gives a bit of front arm sweep. This helps to stabilise the camber change mid-corner, and gives more mid to exit steering. A bit like more castor, but doesn't reduce the initial steering. For tracks with sweeping turns I find it better. It also narrows the front a little, giving a little more front bite.
C/C blocks are good for stabilising the front (as a bit wider), and if you want more initial steering.

You do need to bare in mind the wheelbase whilst using sweep. 0.5° of sweep will shorten the wheelbase by about 0.5mm.

As for the front toe, it should be 1° toe-out... I didn't pay attention too the diagram properly Arm sweep doesn't affect the overall toe setting (unlike on the rear) due to the steering links being adjustable.

Also, finally managed to get last tuesdays SMA setup uploaded (wordpress is being temperamental at the moment)

Ed
Old 03-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Start here : http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...ckSettings.pdf

And read the Hudy Set Up book.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

Thx, i have read it already! Anything more advise/experience in my example (C-C vs C-B same wheelbase with wheel spacer)?

Originally Posted by cplus
Start here : http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...ckSettings.pdf

And read the Hudy Set Up book.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Marcika
Hi,

Let's say difference between C-C block setting vs C-B setting with shim to have same wheelbase. Toe both case 1 degree.

Thanks,
Marton
Check out XXX main book by Martin Crisp. It's excellent, also the Xray manuals have a lot of info on basic set-up and they are free to download.

regarding the 419. I'm really enjoying racing mine. The corner speed is still catching me out. The main area I need to address is that the car is rolling quite a lot when I hit some sharp S curves (I race on a very technical small track at my local club) I think I might actually try a little front sweep (never really played with it) and move out the shocks one hole on the front.

I also have 0.5 under the rear blocks (not at the front) It was great like this on my 418 but I wonder if the roll centre's might be a little too different from front to rear to make the car feel unsettled when transitioning from left to right on the brakes...

Just thinking aloud, I'm sure when I read this back I will understand what area to attack first.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

Thx, i have hudy set up book which i use a lot . Will this xxx book give more info about settings? I am thinking to buy it. Need to learn, car works perfectly despite i miss order of settings and how to read the car to become quicker. Unfortunately i have limited knowledge. What to change first....
Thanks

Originally Posted by Qatmix
Check out XXX main book by Martin Crisp. It's excellent, also the Xray manuals have a lot of info on basic set-up and they are free to download.

regarding the 419. I'm really enjoying racing mine. The corner speed is still catching me out. The main area I need to address is that the car is rolling quite a lot when I hit some sharp S curves (I race on a very technical small track at my local club) I think I might actually try a little front sweep (never really played with it) and move out the shocks one hole on the front.

I also have 0.5 under the rear blocks (not at the front) It was great like this on my 418 but I wonder if the roll centre's might be a little too different from front to rear to make the car feel unsettled when transitioning from left to right on the brakes...

Just thinking aloud, I'm sure when I read this back I will understand what area to attack first.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qatmix

You should post your setup sheet and give us an idea of what your running.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:47 AM
Tech Elite

The XXX book isn't very helpful. It mainly goes on about weight shifting (which is correct as a fundamental principle) but doesn't go into as much detail as the Hudy books. The Hudy books on the other hand don't explain why you need to do this that or the other, so a combination of the two sources is best. Either way, as a principle remember the weight shift is the core, and take it from there. All you're doing with tuning is make sure you shift the right amount where it's needed under every possible circumstance.

PS. I think I downloaded my copy of the XXX book from the interwebs many moons ago. Might still float about if you're lucky.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:16 AM
Tech Elite

This is the latest stuff from Martin Crisp.

http://www.learnsetup.com

XXXMain is 10yrs old now after all....
Old 03-24-2015, 04:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcika
Hi,

Thanks,
Marton
This thread provides some good information.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...s-effects.html

Generally, straight arm will give more initial steering, but loose out a bit mid-exit. Sweep will loose a little initial, but gain in mid-exit.
Bare in mind sweep can also be added by making the front wider (say D/C) or narrower (C/B) over the kit C/C... narrower tends to make the car a little more aggresive, wider more stable. So narrower with C/B tends to help compensate for the loss of initial vs the straight arm.

HiH
Ed
Old 03-24-2015, 04:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Oops. You are right. Described it round the wrong way. I was 6deg blocks with 0,5mm anti-dive (under FR blocks) on my 418. One kinda cancels the other out partially? It's was docile and stable, yes.

Nb: I thought I had my terms right, but then looked at the hudy book and second guessed myself. Which (pg 46) talks about "anti" dive in the positive sense only (front kicked up)
Yes, 6deg hubs with 0.5 anti-dive will give castor closer to 5°. Hence will make it more stable and docile, but helps to increase mid-exit. Actually 4° with 0.5 kick up (shim under FF block) would be similar effect in terms of castor, but with a different feel due to the kick up effectively softening the front.

And the blocks I want are the sep. B's I presume.

Possibly two sets actually as they will let me run 2deg rear with a rear/rear F as well as get the -0,5 sweep setting in the front.
Sep B's are the go for the front yes.
And your correct that B's on the rear will give 2°... but... I'd worry it would make the rear end too wide, and moving the pin out also affects the shock position (as the lower position moves further out from the centreline relative to the top position).
I would look at going A/E for the rear blocks if you can find some Sep A's, but I haven't seen any available yet. That would give same width as kit X/F, but with 2° of angle instead
The other alternative is X/D.. but that has the reverse effect to B/F (2° but narrower). Although, it's worth noting that X/D would be the same width as the popular XA/E combination.

Might be worth trying B/F and X/D out though, see which you prefer
Old 03-24-2015, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

^ yup, no A's and no D's available (as of yet!)

Odd they skipped A in the mix of XB, XA, X, ?, B, C!
Old 03-24-2015, 11:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that The 54172 split blocks were either an A or XA depending on how it was installed on the car.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radi...s-mounts-54172
Old 03-24-2015, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Split blocks for 419

Originally Posted by iasca20
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that The 54172 split blocks were either an A or XA depending on how it was installed on the car.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radi...s-mounts-54172
The 419 split blocks are different! They now use a locating pin on one side so they are no longer interchangeable! You stand corrected.
Just my 2$
Old 03-24-2015, 12:08 PM
Tech Adept

Hi All,

Thanks for comments help.

See below link my set up as well as the track. Car was very good, I missed a little bit of being "quicker". Best time was around 13mp/lap, I could make 13.2. I know thisgap can be also in my hand :-) but if I can make it from car would be great :-)! Motor screws in bottom are 1-1 center, no other screws missed or whatever, comes with KIT. C hub is shimmed by 0.2mm.

Set up:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11620...CPTwmd-RrpOBWw

What I wanted to try but didnt have time either to have harder stabilizer set both front and rear and/or lower roll center.

Thanks for your feedback.
Marton

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.