Wiki Posts
Search

Is iCharger really superior?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 02:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Thanks. Man this helps a lot. So every time you use a pack, do you cycle (discharge/charge) it again? What voltage do you discharge it to? And if you know how long typically a cycle takes, would you want to finish charging the battery right before the race or does it not matter?
When i had an Icharger i would discharge/charge everytime before a race (practice not so much). I would discharge the pack at 20amps to about 3.5v per cell then charge it at 30amps to 4.2 per cell. You would want it to finish as soon before your run as possible. Remember though, if you do any roar events then max charge rate is 1c according to their rules.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
When i had an Icharger i would discharge/charge everytime before a race (practice not so much). I would discharge the pack at 20amps to about 3.5v per cell then charge it at 30amps to 4.2 per cell. You would want it to finish as soon before your run as possible. Remember though, if you do any roar events then max charge rate is 1c according to their rules.
I feel like I got a whole day lesson from you guys. Thanks,
Old 07-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

As well as temps +- 5 deg. of ambient temps, no direct cooling devices aloud.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
The 308, 406 & 4010 allow you set per cell peak voltage. So I could set it at 4.22 or 4.23 etc per cell to get to 8.44 / 8.46 as a pack respectively. The high discharge rate is what creates the heat, the high charge rate keeps the heat in while ensuring your pack charges quick to be able to take advantage of the heat/lower ir. The more you cycle a pack this way on a race day the lower the ir becomes.
Yes, this is true.

Never cycle a lipo packs it puts to much heat in the pack which Raises IR.

There is a temp range in which the lipo batteries responds to lower IR.

To cold or to hot HIGHER IR.

Use your Icharger with the wire balancer connected to it.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Regional Moderator

Part of the reason that the iCharger is faster than most chargers is that the balance current is much higher than other brands. From what I remember, it can handle 1.2A for balancing, instead of < 300 mA for others. Plus, for the higher charge rates you must use one of the balance modes.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
it can handle 1.2A for balancing, instead of < 300 mA for others.
Aw, sorry but what does that mean?? With my charger, regular charging mode is up to 6A and balance charge is also up to 6A. So 1.2A for balancing in iCHarger vs 6A in my charger, how is it different?? Sorry for my ignorance LOL
Old 07-22-2014, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

It's the amperage rates the charger uses on the balance leads. With higher discharge rates on the balance leads, it takes less time to bring all cells to the same level.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:08 PM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Part of the reason that the iCharger is faster than most chargers is that the balance current is much higher than other brands. From what I remember, it can handle 1.2A for balancing, instead of < 300 mA for others. Plus, for the higher charge rates you must use one of the balance modes.
I noticed that both the icharger 308 and powerlab pl6 are faster with 1s batteries. I think this is because they both limit current to produce voltages in excess of 4.2, like 4.25 compared to more conservative chargers (skyrc, bantam..) that would limit the current to produce a voltage like 4.15 to 4.18.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have a three year old Thunderpower that is labeled for a 6c charge rate - 63 amps!

Dunno if anyone is ever in that big a hurry.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...gCnDaDkQ#t=155

*this is for the powerlab. I believe the icharger does something similar.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

Talking

First of all guys, how often do you calibrated your ichargers and the other chargers you own ??? If you've never calibrated your chargers, and it reads a higher cell voltage than it should, then your packs will be undercharged all the time, costing you to lose a lot of punch on top of losing confidence on your charger... Is it really that the icharger is superior, or is it that it might be reading a lower voltage out of your packs compared to other chargers, causing it to charge your packs more than the other chargers... Calibrate your current charger first, before throwing it away to get an icharger !!! If the calibrated icharger still outperforms your other calibrated chargers, then switch.....
Old 07-22-2014, 06:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
First of all guys, how often do you calibrated your ichargers and the other chargers you own ??? If you've never calibrated your chargers, and it reads a higher cell voltage than it should, then your packs will be undercharged all the time, costing you to lose a lot of punch on top of losing confidence on your charger... Is it really that the icharger is superior, or is it that it might be reading a lower voltage out of your packs compared to other chargers, causing it to charge your packs more than the other chargers... Calibrate your current charger first, before throwing it away to get an icharger !!! If the calibrated icharger still outperforms your other calibrated chargers, then switch.....
Do you own a 4010 duo or Powerlab 8? What do you use? Which ones have you calibrated?

BTW, if anyone wants to know how to calibrate an iCharger:

http://www.icharger.co.nz/articles/A...-iCharger.aspx

Last edited by RCBuddha; 07-22-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Tech Champion

Smile

I use a thunderpower 1430C charger, and just wanted folks to know about calibration before rating a charger, since nobody ever mentioned it here... It is very important, and it's good to see the icharger calibration video here...
Old 07-22-2014, 07:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I use a thunderpower 1430C charger, and just wanted folks to know about calibration before rating a charger, since nobody ever mentioned it here... It is very important, and it's good to see the icharger calibration video here...
You have to put a lot of hours of use on an iCharger before you have to calibrate it. And even then you have to know what your doing to make sure it is accurate.

*If anyone wants a more advanced reading on iChargers and their capabilities, head over to rcgroups.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
You have to put a lot of hours of use on an iCharger before you have to calibrate it. And even then you have to know what your doing to make sure it is accurate.

*If anyone wants a more advanced reading on iChargers and their capabilities, head over to rcgroups.
The only thing that you would have to do to the Icharger is mess with the final charged voltage. To get a true 4.2v per cell just using a good volt meter to check it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.