Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 02:43 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks agin
Old 04-23-2015, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rangerjkb
Have had very positive results using the Avid shock towers...
From the Avid website...

"The set allows you to remove 4 grams of weight from up high which is at least worth 1 second per lap."
Old 04-23-2015, 09:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
From the Avid website...

"The set allows you to remove 4 grams of weight from up high which is at least worth 1 second per lap."
You have to appreciate their humor though. :-)
Old 04-24-2015, 02:59 AM
Suspended

The Avid towers do change the feel of the car a bit, IMO making slightly more traction. I have only tested them on carpet at this point, but my car felt smoother and easier to drive with the Avid towers. I tested back to back a few combinations of stock & Avid towers at the ROAR Carpet Nats at Horsham and even in high bite I preferred the Avid towers. At my home track on medium traction the Avid towers really woke my car up.

I tested:
Avid front and rear - most consistent, easiest to drive, slightly locked in feel
Avid front, stock rear - very edgy, uncomfortable to drive
Stock front and rear - felt fast but did not produce faster laptimes. not quite as easy to drive.

I have not tested Xray front/Avid rear because I usually find myself looking for more steering on carpet and I don't think that combination would achieve that. I may test it at some point just to make sure. I am looking forward to running the Avid towers and 1.5mm topdeck on asphalt soon.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:43 AM
Suspended

This morning Avid has released the 1.5mm "Soft" topdeck. Already have a few on order myself, looking forward to testing these soon.

http://avidrc.com/product/5/accessor...cessories.html
Old 04-24-2015, 06:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hello,
I just picked up a T4 '15 and have a few questions:
1) I run on medium to high traction carpet only. My car came with an Avid aluminum chassis which I removed and put the stock chassis back on. I am not an expert driver and didn't want to risk bending the aluminum chassis. Carbon fiber is more forgiving. Is there a carbon fiber chassis that will give me the stiffness (or closer to it) of the aluminum, but the durability of the stock chassis?

2) I have the stock top deck. Should I replace this with a different one?

3) I have seen several ways to mount the battery...a) stock with tape along the bottom of the chassis b) a-plus has a battery mount system that uses velcro across the top of the battery c) I don't remember who, but I also saw a set of battery mounts that used a large O-ring/rubber band across the top of the battery. Which option is the best?

thanks,
tim
Old 04-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by rc_speed
Hello,
I just picked up a T4 '15 and have a few questions:
1) I run on medium to high traction carpet only. My car came with an Avid aluminum chassis which I removed and put the stock chassis back on. I am not an expert driver and didn't want to risk bending the aluminum chassis. Carbon fiber is more forgiving. Is there a carbon fiber chassis that will give me the stiffness (or closer to it) of the aluminum, but the durability of the stock chassis?

2) I have the stock top deck. Should I replace this with a different one?

3) I have seen several ways to mount the battery...a) stock with tape along the bottom of the chassis b) a-plus has a battery mount system that uses velcro across the top of the battery c) I don't remember who, but I also saw a set of battery mounts that used a large O-ring/rubber band across the top of the battery. Which option is the best?

thanks,
tim
Hi Tim,

I'm not aware of any graphite chassis available for the '15 that is better than the kit Xray chassis. (EDIT: I saw Reflex has one listed on their site but I've never run it, and I haven't heard any feedback on it.)

No need to buy a new Topdeck unless you just want to have some tuning options. If you did, I would suggest getting the Xray 1.6mm as well as the Avid 1.5mm Hard.

Holding the battery in is personal preference. I prefer the tape method but I did use the Reflex battery posts for a while with great results. The velcro system from a+ seems really bulky and heavy to me, and the battery side is generally heavy anyway. Reflex makes a nice post setup which I referenced earlier: http://www.reflexracing.net/RSD-Batt...AY_p_1343.html They can be used with the adjustable xray battery holders, but you have to get the old ones with the 2 graphite pieces (http://www.reflexracing.net/XRAY-T4-...er_p_1862.html), not the new ones with the aluminum + graphite pieces. I would think using an o-ring to hold the battery in would introduce tweak, so I'd avoid that personally.

One good thing - you have a lot of fast guys at your local track that drive Xray, so you will have a great amount of local support. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:26 AM
Suspended

Ill second what Robbie said. I think the Reflex carbon fit and finish has gotten better over the last year or so. I wouldn't be afraid to try it. Ive stuck with the standard carbon.

If you are afraid of bending an aluminum chassis, I would stay away from thin top decks of all makes, especially when running a carbon chassis. They are much more likely to crack and develop a tweak.

Im not a fan of the A+ design. Stick to tape.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks for the plug Chris. Yes, we do make a quasi 2.0 and 2.25mm chassis for the T4. Cory Parsons used it at the Mile High Indoor champs on both his cars. He ended up taking the win in 17.5 with the 2.0mm chassis and got 3rd in 13.5 with the 2.25.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

+1 on Robbie's comments. Have had positive results using the Avid thin Topdeck and Shock Towers on asphalt, producing similar effects as it did on carpet.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Hey guys,

I have been away from RC for quite a while. Now I'm returning back to the scene, with this car.

I'm just contemplating what spare parts I should have on hand? I'm sorry if this has been answered many times before, I tried searching without much success.

My guess would be suspension parts? Keep in mind that I haven't been racing for a while, so there will be crashes haha (I'll be running stock, though).

Many thanks for the help! I'm looking forward to being a part of this community soon
Old 04-25-2015, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Thankfully, Xray is pretty tuff and rarely breaks parts. Recommend Front C hubs and possibly sterring blocks. If sticking with stock front outdrives, I'd grab an extra pair of those, but would also recommend changing out to ECS's with aluminum or steel outdirves when possible to enhance handling & durrablility. You won't be dissapointed with Xray and there is always plenty of help when it comes to setup assistance!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

As above. Being in Germany you're never far from a well stocked Xray shop (and if in trouble, Vienna is a short drive away and they have the best RC shop ever, more like a factory shop with every part for every car ever to come out of Xray - only Xray). One thing I've noticed is front spool (plastic) outdrives tend to break especially in mod. Xray has a nice Aluminium version (pricey), but there's also some really nicely engineered outdrives (aluminum with nice steel polished steel pins using against the blades) coming from an italian company, so you've got some decent choice.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:12 PM
LKF
Tech Apprentice

here are some pictures of the the t4 2015 chassis from new crowned german vice champion.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ntc3freak
Hey guys,

I have been away from RC for quite a while. Now I'm returning back to the scene, with this car.

I'm just contemplating what spare parts I should have on hand? I'm sorry if this has been answered many times before, I tried searching without much success.

My guess would be suspension parts? Keep in mind that I haven't been racing for a while, so there will be crashes haha (I'll be running stock, though).

Many thanks for the help! I'm looking forward to being a part of this community soon

@ntc3freak: For Xray parts in Germany i highly recommend t2-Shop.de of Stefan Klein...best service, best prices and most parts on stock. I only broke an plastic Spool outdrive and a rear upright in 3 years on my T4's, so you won't need spare parts very often. It's a very strong and durable chassis. But it's always nice to have some when needed at the track...

Last edited by Sebbo; 04-25-2015 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.