Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Road bashing.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Road bashing.

First of all I'm looking for new tires for road bashing. And how do you adjust the camber/toe? All my tires are deffently wearing unevenly. And how crucial Is wheel balancing for road bashing? My car is a stock HPI SPRINT 2 FLUX. And is slowly falling apart. Lost some nuts and screws that hold the motor mount and the rod that braces both plates broke as a result of it which then flung up into the rear drive belt and broke it along with putting a nice gouge into my rear differientral gear case. Going to loctite the rest of them to prevent future lost. Any suggestions on which parts to beef up before catastrophic failure happens again?
Old 05-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

You dont neccessarily need to lockntight all the screws. This could make it difficult to dissasemble for maintanence later. Which brings me to maintanence. You obviously have been doing none. Every few runs you need to go through the car and check all the screws. You should check things for excess wear and chaffing.

These arent nikko or tyco cars from walmart or toysRus. They take some TLC even if you are just bashing with them.

As for the uneven were, thats going to happen. It will be almost impossible to stop, even with adjusting the camber. All of these cars have dynamic camber which means as the arm compresses, the camber angle changes. If you want to adjust the static camber tohelp minimize unevem tire wear, there are horazontal rods the go from the bulkheads above the diffs to the outer hub carriers. These may or may not be adjustable. They will have threads on iether end if they are. You can also try rotating your tires if possible.

For the tires just go to amainhobbies.com or one of hundreds of other hobby sites and get direct replacements for what you have.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Default offset wheels

Do offset wheels effect the handling of the car? And I only ran 4 batteries through it before it fell apart. Any suggestions on sites for all around parts and customer service.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Yes, offset will affect the handling, but not very much, as you won't be able to get wheels that still fit under the body and are offset any more than currently.

The sprint 2 isn't really a great car to begin with, and bashing can really lead to a breakdown of parts (I know because I have one) Just treat it nicely and don't be too hard and it should be fine
Old 05-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Instead of dragging someone down and saying they don't have a good car to begin with, why don't you actually help by saying something positive? Like "From my personal experience of owning one, you should really watch these parts for wear and tear." because the person that gave me this car died so you can have your freedom and say stupid stuff like that... But really, I do appreciate the information on the offset wheels.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Tech Adept

A big thing with belt drive cars for bashing is to monitor and wipe down the belts and pulleys because even a light amount of debris will wear those parts. It's why contained shaft drive cars are a little easier to maintain.

After every couple runs, just look the car over and wipe down the chassis and suspension components; it doesn't have to be done too frequently but I usually remove my shocks maybe every 10 runs to clean all the components individually, and check the shafts' conditions.

The cool thing with touring cars and HPI specifically is there's a huge assortment of wheels and tires. Because you're probably running in unprepared conditions, look for tires with some more aggressive treads, then get a set of cool wheels you like. Another option is to choose inserts but that's more of a race tuning option.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

how was my post degrading? I shared my opinions on a car that I owned, and didn't like. for bashing the sprint is really one of the last cars I would choose. that has nothing to do with you having one.