Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Will Losi ever make another 1/10 touring car? >

Will Losi ever make another 1/10 touring car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Losi ever make another 1/10 touring car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Will Losi ever make another 1/10 touring car?

This thread is inspired somewhat by wishful thinking. The jrxs type r is still being run competitively at my local club. It remains somewhat of a mystery to me why the company so abruptly quit onroad. I realize the market trend has favored offroad but the losi sedans were successful. I would love to see Losi reenter this arena. Has anybody heard anything at all about Losi having any plans to make another touring car anytime soon?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The new kit will be out in two weeks...
Old 04-24-2014, 10:53 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

They just released the 22-4, an updated version of the Losi XX4.

The XX4 shared many parts with the Losi Streetweapon, a very competitive TC back in the day.

It is safe to say Losi will release a new Streetweapon based on the 22-4. Carbon fiber plates and machined aluminum on most current top end TC's are overrated. Time to go back to TC's with a lot of molded parts.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
They just released the 22-4, an updated version of the Losi XX4.

The XX4 shared many parts with the Losi Streetweapon, a very competitive TC back in the day.

It is safe to say Losi will release a new Streetweapon based on the 22-4. Carbon fiber plates and machined aluminum on most current top end TC's are overrated. Time to go back to TC's with a lot of molded parts.
In another thread, someone with Losi said a TC version of the 22-4 as tried and was a FAIL. I would say Losi is done w/ on road.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:34 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had a Losi streetweapon back in the day, worse piece of junk I ever owned lol
Old 04-25-2014, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

It would b nice indeed...id lile to see a shaft car
Old 04-25-2014, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

With the weight of modern elctronics and traction levels (especially on carpet) going ski high, the JRXS R layout would be great. Especially with a steel battery tray. Bring all that weight to the bottom. But unfortunately with what appears to be 1/8 having most of the influence, their focus is and will stay on 1/8 scale nitro. I think this is a bad move for TLR. I have been Losi for most of my 25 year RC hobby addiction, and now I have to give up on them. After they sold out to Horizon, they started slowly digging their own grave. I dont think they will ever completely die, but they have peaked (a while back) and will never again be as great as they once were.

IIf TLR did release a TC, I still dont know if I would get it. They only ran the 22SCT for less than 18 months before they stopped production. Without plans for a replacement.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I remain a fan of Losi. Right now I'm running their 22 2.0 and 8ight E 3.0. The quality of those kits are superb. I would love to see them put that same quality into a well designed, competitive, tourer (belt or shaft driven). I think it is good for a company to be competitive in as many of the big classes as possible. I personally would like to drive the same brand of car for all the classes I race. I will continue to hope and to watch while I wait. I will choose to believe that the jrxs type r is going to get the dust blown off it and will be brought up to competitive, modern specs. That would just be so awesome. I really think it would do well as far as sales is concerned. I think Losi might be surprised.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking

I sure hope they will bring back the Jrxs type R , and the losi lcd drives(losa3344).... I think they had a winner there, and some racers still run them with smaller lipo packs... Too many racers think a bigger pack is a must, while 4300mah is way more than enough for most classes...
Old 04-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Horizon (Losi) did release a new touring car already!

Old 04-25-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

In a perfect world the Losi TC should have been refined and reinvented , lipo down the midle does wonders for a touring car's balance. having said that , HPI should also bring back the pro-3 and this time give it a cf chassis and droop screws. Back when I was racing with the Losi I thought that TL had nailed it and got it so right. How could they possibly do any better? The type-R was it. Perhaps they felt they had built the one car that needed nothing more to be competitive. Exit while at your peak ....right? Just like a comedian who goes out on stage and after the perfect routine .....just drops the microphone and walks off stage while peaople are still laughing ....That's how I felt Losi did. Sad but I don't think Losi or Hpi will ever be big players in the TC game. But my fingers are crossed tho.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would like to see TLR field a new touring car also, but I highly doubt that will ever happen.

I have been running my JRXS type R in VTA and it is competitive at the local level. I just hope that I do not break something is irreplaceable.....
Old 04-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would suspect the market segment is too small for them to bother with unless folks get more interested in on road I doubt they will revisit?

They did the same thing with the crawlers a few years back. They had a pretty good one but when the market appeared to shift to a MOA design they dropped the LCC and exited the market.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR

Way to rub salt in the open would of Losi (otherwise known as Horizon) Once they sold out, that was the begining of the end. Sure they have had some successes since then, but its still a downward spiral overall. They kind of started to get it right with creating TLR, a racing division of the brand similar to what TRF is for Tamiya. But when you sell your race kits as rtrs in the other brand, and add a nitro SCT to the line-up, its just asking for failure (as a race brand). Hell even some their race kits come preassembled now. Thats not a racing kit. A racer should have to build the car from a bunch a bags of parts and a manual. This type of marketing (losi isnt the only one doing it) has created and encouraged a instant gratification culter fullnof Ricky Bobby's that just wanna go fast without understanding anything about the vehicle that they are running. This really doesnt translate well into the onroad world so losi will stay way away from it.

It sucks as they did have the coolest and most inovative TC out there and for a while were the class leader. But we will probably never see a true TLR TC ever again. That is unless Adam Drake decides to get off the dirt, and even then it will be a nitro car...
Old 04-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR

From Losi, that's all you're likely to get. A TLR TC is even less likely to happen. I would venture to say...never

Besides the R&D aspect of competing in the TC market after such a long absence, they would also have to add to their driver line up. Cars that don't win likely won't sell, and I don't think their current drivers can run all their off road stuff AND TC competitively. Considering the recent cut to the driver roster I don't see TLR/Losi venturing back in to on road anytime soon...IMO

Sad for Losi guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.