Wire strand count

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wire strand count

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for all the info guys - greatly appreciated.

I currently have some old 12 gauge wire in my F1 car, but am considering 14 or 16 gauge TQ wire. Our weight limit for F1 is 1000 grams and my car is around 1090g at the moment, so am considering all ways to reduce weight.

F1 is very popular in our club (around 15 cars at each meeting) and I am noticing some have gone to shorty packs, while others including myself have stuck to full size packs. From what I have seen performance wise, the people with shorty packs have good power at the start of the race, but fall off a little throughout the race due to voltage. They can more than likely get nearer the 1000g limit I would suspect. The standard packs seem more powerful throughout the race due to a higher average voltage, but are heavier of course!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

You'd be fine running 16 awg wire in an f1 assuming you are running a 21.5. Thats what I always ran in mine and I never had an issue. 21.5 doesn't draw enough current to need a larger wire. I also never had an issue with drop off running a shorty either.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
Thanks for all the info guys - greatly appreciated.

I currently have some old 12 gauge wire in my F1 car, but am considering 14 or 16 gauge TQ wire. Our weight limit for F1 is 1000 grams and my car is around 1090g at the moment, so am considering all ways to reduce weight.

F1 is very popular in our club (around 15 cars at each meeting) and I am noticing some have gone to shorty packs, while others including myself have stuck to full size packs. From what I have seen performance wise, the people with shorty packs have good power at the start of the race, but fall off a little throughout the race due to voltage. They can more than likely get nearer the 1000g limit I would suspect. The standard packs seem more powerful throughout the race due to a higher average voltage, but are heavier of course!
I'm a long standing veteran of the weight wars from back in the day. Looking at the difference in wire weight is what the engineers call "Mice Nuts." Might seem important to the mouse but are small in insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Short of making the main surfaces look like a piece of Swiss cheese, the places to look for weight is anything with made of steel. Use Aluminum and Titanium screws. Aluminum drive shafts, light weight progressive springs, Aluminum gears. Get very picky about your wheels and balance them by shaving the weight off, not adding balance. Believe it or not, using an air brush with only one very light coat of paint can save a gram or two.

It's all time consuming, makes the car very fragile, and costs a fortune. The biggest cost saver I've seen over the last 25 or so years was raising the minimum weight of the cars. If you're in a weight war, you have my sympathy It's a lot of work and pain for .2 a lap..
Old 04-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

14 will be ok 16 should be ok.