Wiki Posts
Search

F1 exploding on the market

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

"F1 exploding on the market"

OMG how many people were hurt? What's the name of the market?
Old 04-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
Why the pro driver hate? I despise the segregated classes. Then again, I'm not a factory guy (with all that pressure it entails) getting my TQ run blown up by some scrub either.

Frankly, I can't think of a worse working situation that being forced to race little cars for a living.
F1 like everything else ebbs and flows in popularity. Not long ago the class was on life support thriving only at clubs with a die hard following. Now its back on the map with new chassis, new bodies, new companies supporting it like Tuning Haus. I think its great. But it is stronger in clubs than at national level events. Even at big events like iic when you do see pro's running the class, those guys look like they are in it for fun and that after all is why we torture ourselves with all of this stuff.

On your second point, I don't think pro drivers are forced to race little cars for a living. I think they scratch for every advantage and constantly hone their skills so that they can GET to race toy cars for a living. Those that are not burnt out probably still consider themselves lucky that they can do this.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
On your second point, I don't think pro drivers are forced to race little cars for a living. I think they scratch for every advantage and constantly hone their skills so that they can GET to race toy cars for a living. Those that are not burnt out probably still consider themselves lucky that they can do this.
I think the difference is between racing as a diversion, and as a job. One of them is fun, the other is work.

Sometime in the early past decade, I started playing poker recreationally with guys I knew from RC racing. After a couple of months, I started playing in local card rooms. If money got tight (like the three times my wife lost her job as an engineer in 18 months around 2007) I'd play more. I can't think of another business where I could take $3000 and make that much a month working 30 hours a week (and not break any laws, and keep your straight job). Problem is/was the game wasn't fun at that point, it was work.

The game ran 24/7/365 in SoCal, but it wasn't always worth playing. The best times (most action/most drinking/most recreational players) were Friday and Saturday nights, and at that point, you are just punching a time card mopping floors.

Anyway, I don't play at all anymore. Like ever. Because even recreational games are just work. Certain things you shouldn't do for money. Racing toy cars is one of those things IMO.

And I loathe separated classes. I'm a scrub and I want to race the fast guys. Do the best you can, and go home happy.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
I think the difference is between racing as a diversion, and as a job. One of them is fun, the other is work.

Sometime in the early past decade, I started playing poker recreationally with guys I knew from RC racing. After a couple of months, I started playing in local card rooms. If money got tight (like the three times my wife lost her job as an engineer in 18 months around 2007) I'd play more. I can't think of another business where I could take $3000 and make that much a month working 30 hours a week (and not break any laws, and keep your straight job). Problem is/was the game wasn't fun at that point, it was work.

The game ran 24/7/365 in SoCal, but it wasn't always worth playing. The best times (most action/most drinking/most recreational players) were Friday and Saturday nights, and at that point, you are just punching a time card mopping floors.

Anyway, I don't play at all anymore. Like ever. Because even recreational games are just work. Certain things you shouldn't do for money. Racing toy cars is one of those things IMO.

And I loathe separated classes. I'm a scrub and I want to race the fast guys. Do the best you can, and go home happy.
This is a very well said post. And I think that there are probably a lot of pro drivers that feel the way you just described it. I also think there are many that love every minute of it. Job or not. But I do get your point. I do remember Joel Johnson telling me that it's not the same when you are paid to be there, and the pressure to win or at least perform well changes the experience entirely. I know several hobby shop owners that burn out and after closing their shop, they walk away from the hobby completely.

But back to F1. I still hear laughter from the drivers stand every time I witness an F1 race. I'm sure they take it seriously, but they seem to remember that we do this all for fun in F1.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

F1 doesn't require much to develop as a top level TC. And some of the major manufacturers who already have pan cars, they can transfer a few things over and save on tooling. Most of the parts are carbon plates and machined aluminum. There isn't a whole lot of plastic molds to design and create. So they make the consumer pay more up front to cover the material cost.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

wow, just thinking, what if Awesomatix came out with a car ...
Old 04-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Like any other class. .. eventually there will be a $500.00 + f1 and people will buy it. I would assume when the xray f1 comes out it will be priced toward the upper echelon of the market. It is what it is... The good news is there are cheap kits out there right now (speed passion comes to mind)..that if you can wheel..you can win. Will there be a "must have" car..maybe, but
if everyone sticks to the current rules ( width, tires and suspension pick up points ect.). I feel the cars will pretty much all behave in similar fashion. That being said.. It's important that local tracks and big events stick to a rule set. .enforce it and do their best to maintain continuity with what the rest of the country is doing (talking us rules here).
Old 04-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

As far as the pro vs club driver deal...
Embarrassingly/hypocritically. . I was on the other side of the fence with this just a few years ago. Our local f1 class was getting stacked with pro level drivers. I as a new driver lobbied to keep the class for the "scrubs". Eventually the class died out because of some of the conflict with this and because of the whole 200mm vs 190mm foam/rubber drama.
I was forced to run tc... with the "fast guys" because locally it was the only sure bet for turnout. Running with fast guys force you to get better...period.
F1 rubber is not the easiest thing to drive...and making that your class for the new drivers (club level) is only going to frustrate them. Class needs to be open to all for it to grow.

Again. I needed my eyes opened to understand this..but I have direct experience with it from a ground level up.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

Just a new kid in town!
Inovattive direction with many new things.
http://mdracingrc.com/index.php/es/
Old 04-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey all: Bye the way I remember back in the early days of the veladrome race they ran F1/Indy car type bodies which I thought was so cool before that race switched over to the more popular nascar type bodies in later years. So F1 has been a part of rc for along time and like other classes it comes and goes in popularity. Thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b-man777
Hey all: Bye the way I remember back in the early days of the veladrome race they ran F1/Indy car type bodies which I thought was so cool before that race switched over to the more popular nascar type bodies in later years. So F1 has been a part of rc for along time and like other classes it comes and goes in popularity. Thanks
I know what you mean. One day digging through junk in the back of my closet, I found my Tamiya F101/F102 that I bought back in the mid to late 90s. It is hard to believe how these cars have evolved from a simple flat pan chassis with an integrated T-plate (cut into the chassis, not a separate piece) to the link/independent rear suspension cars of today.