STOCK motor forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STOCK motor forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

That was a lot of good information (thanks EddieO and Todd)
So what does that mean as far as motor tuning for such "over-powering" stocks? I personally haven't really tried much with the Orion or Reedy stocks, so I'm interested. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

I am understanding the logic behind the magnets and the field strength, and have two questions. One is if you re-zap the magnets in a can could you potentially overpower them, or by design will they be ok. Also, slightly off this topic where can I get information on the minimum diameters that I can cut my comms before the armature has to be replaced. I have a Monster, Cameleon 2, and a Reedy Quad mag. Thanks so much.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by micros_rock
That was a lot of good information (thanks EddieO and Todd)
So what does that mean as far as motor tuning for such "over-powering" stocks? I personally haven't really tried much with the Orion or Reedy stocks, so I'm interested. Thanks.
micros_rock... hit me up when you can
Old 08-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jw92656
I am understanding the logic behind the magnets and the field strength, and have two questions. One is if you re-zap the magnets in a can could you potentially overpower them, or by design will they be ok. Also, slightly off this topic where can I get information on the minimum diameters that I can cut my comms before the armature has to be replaced. I have a Monster, Cameleon 2, and a Reedy Quad mag. Thanks so much.

small comm 265 is really low.....300 is close for big comm 19s...never over heat your motors the can should al ways out last the arm...bitter
Old 08-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

270 is the safe cutoff on a small comm......315 or so is the safe on a big comm.....anything below either you are playing with fire, though I have seen some people try it and get lucky.....certainly not something I would try at a big race.

As for rezapping the magnets, you can never over zap a magnet.....think of it as a glass of water, it can only be full.....if you try to put more in, it just spills over the top.....

Later EddieO
Old 08-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

What about a beer glass? Just cant keep it full
Old 08-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EddieO

As for rezapping the magnets, you can never over zap a magnet.....think of it as a glass of water, it can only be full.....if you try to put more in, it just spills over the top.....

Later EddieO
So if I replace the bushings/bearings and zap the magnets it will be good as new? Or is there a maximum amount that magnets can be zapped?
Old 08-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pink pac man
...a comm stick...some spare bushings...
I have not purchased a comm lathe yet. It IS in the works however. What exactly is a comm stick? Also, can I use this to extend the time period between cuts (I have a friend do it)?

Do you really need spare bushings? I take great care of mine. Breaking them in and oiling them weekly when I race.

BTW, I know there are a number of companies selling comm lathes. Among the top are Trinity, Cobra, and Hudy. I'm leading towards Hudy. Are there any things I should look for in a lathe? V-guides vs. ball bearings. Carbide vs. diamond (I've actually heard carbide is ok). With motor vs. not.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you guys or girls have had any experience with the Fantom team Tuned Limited edition stock motor. I have recently purchased one and was just curious to know what the best spring/brush combo would be for an ashphalt track with a straight around 140 feet long and a fairly tightish infield.. Also what would you recommend for a Monster stock on the same track.

Im after either fantom or trinity brushes as these are the easiest to get in Australia.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

What color can is the Fantom motor?
Old 08-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Rody...If your unsure, look the part number up on their website and list what base motor you have?..this way you can get an accurate spring recomendation......fantom dosn't make the actual motors themselves....It starts out as a specific base motor....like a monster, p2k2, MVP ect.......Years back,I tried a couple of their team tuned limited edition stock motors.....they were both p2k2's....they were "ok" ...... As far as a monster on the size track you mentioned.....a good starting point would be (red pos), and (red neg), with reedy 767 or trinity 4499's brushes......get your gearing just right for those springs.....and then make one purple (one step heavier) spring change at a time, (starting with the positive side) and watch your laptimes..good luck

Last edited by Joe B; 08-11-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joe B
Rody...If your unsure, look the part number up on their website and list what base motor you have?..this way you can get an accurate spring recomendation......fantom dosn't make the actual motors themselves....It starts out as a specific base motor....like a monster, p2k2, MVP ect.......Years back,I tried a couple of their team tuned limited edition stock motors.....they were both p2k2's....they were "ok" ...... As far as a monster on the size track you mentioned.....a good starting point would be (red pos), and (red neg), with reedy 767 or trinity 4499's brushes......get your gearing just right for those springs.....and then make one purple (one step heavier) spring change at a time, (starting with the positive side) and watch your laptimes..good luck
I think the fantom started life as a monster. It came with 2 purple springs and 315 brushes with diagonal serrations (similar to the trinity 4505). This combo was pretty fast and comm wear was pretty good.

With my monster, I have a purple spring on the +, and a red on the - and XXX brushes. The comm wear was excessive and i found it really hard to find a gearing sweetspot. It was crazy fast whilst cold but came off the track hot. If i geared down, slightly, it was not fast enough . I have tried FDR's from 6.3 to 7.5. I think its just the nature of our track.

p.s. you right about those Fantom team stocks being "ok"
Old 11-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

hey guy what is your fastes stock motor and what brush and spring combo do u run

thanks
Old 11-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

What class?
Old 11-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

for tc foam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.