Search

STOCK motor forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Is this MVP Roar legal?

Originally posted by imjonah
I just got a Reedy MVP stock motor on E-Bay, the motor has been modified to use stand up brushes, I assume that makes it not ROAR legal ?

I do not know much about motors in general and this is the first Yokohama based motor I have seen close up.
No, a stock motor will not be ROAR-legal if someone uses brush hoods other than the original ones(though it's be ok to take the hoods from another MVP & use those, that'd be fine). Oh, & just FYI, they're not Yokohama motors, they're Yokomo motors(yes, the same Yokomo that makes those car kits). They've had a deal with Reedy for quite a few years, Reedy & his guys do most of the design & research work, & Yokomo handles the production(& sales of them in a number of other countries)....
Old 07-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys,

I just wanna know whats the best stock motor in the market right now?? im thinking 3 stock motor as a spare on my list are the putnam,trinity monster pro2,team paradigm,and fukuyama(27T) if you guys got some pro and cons about this motors your comment will be appreciated...

Thanks,
bryan
Old 07-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Tech Addict

Wink Only MY opinion

I just buy a non pro motor. I then align the brush hoods, polish the bushings, true and shim the armature, add brushes of choice and spring tension the way I want it and it is good as any out there. I bet a lot of members of this forum do the same thing.

I can't tell which motor is best of the ones you named because I have not run most of them. Mine are fast, or faster than I can drive so that is how I do it.

Monsters have the most RPM, P2K2 is one of the best. MVP takes a lot of fiddeling. You need to narrow the brushs to get it to run cooler. Orion is similar to the MVP. I like a GM3 if it doesn't turn into a smoke bomb. I have 2 they have been great.

ALL my motors get the same treatment.

Hope I answered your question.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Only MY opinion

Originally posted by David Root
[B]I just buy a non pro motor. I then align the brush hoods, polish the bushings, true and shim the armature, add brushes of choice and spring tension the way I want it and it is good as any out there. I bet a lot of members of this forum do the same thing.B]
Yep.

http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/tunestockmotor.html
Old 07-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Only MY opinion

Originally posted by fatdoggy
Yep.

http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/tunestockmotor.html
the motor tuning tips in this article, should this be done to every motor I have? sounds like a good idea to me

- JayBee
Old 07-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, I never buy the "Pro" motors. Just buy the regular ones, and outfit them to the stuff you use.

-Kevin
Old 07-18-2004, 08:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
what is the BIG difference between the Monster Stock "PRO" and the Monster Stock; and the other "Pro" and Stock?

-JayBee
Old 07-19-2004, 03:18 AM
Tech Addict

Jaybee

You get a label that may or may not be true from a dyno.

If you knew how to polish the bushings, you would understand that a pro does not have that done because it is so time consuming. By the way, I don't take mine out of the motor to polish them.

If you knew how to align the hoods, you would understand that is not done as part of a pro motor because it is too time consuming.

I have a Sonic Filldestick II. It measures the spring tesnion at the brush. Cool tool for $14.00 I set my springs by tesion, not color.

I usually run 767 brushes with a hole drilled in them, so when I buy a non pro motor, I usually end up tossing the stock brushes anyhow then tweak the springs to my liking.

The best thing you can do to a motor is align the hoods and put in premium brushes. My last pro motor I won at a race (in a raffle) it was a Pro GM3. It had 4499 brushes which I kept, but the hoods were way off and the arm needed shimming bad.

Take it for what its worth to you.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by David Root

I usually run 767 brushes with a hole drilled in them, so when I buy a non pro motor, I usually end up tossing the stock brushes anyhow then tweak the springs to my liking.

Hey David, What size hole do you drill in the brushes and how deep? Why do you drill the hole since the brushes are already serrated? Last question do you use a special drill bit or will any bit work? Thanks
Old 07-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Tech Addict

Default Reedy Motors I am confused

From reading this thread the most common advice seems to be

Big Track Monster Stock
Tight Small to Medium Track P2K2
Avoid Reedy MVP it overheats
-----------------------------------------------------------
I understand the logic and the evidence for the first 2.

I believe the complaints about the MVP overheating, but I do not understand the reason or explanations. I have read a number of remedys proposed to cure the overheating problem.

Reedy is a large well established innovative respected company. How is it that they continue to ship a product which from many of the posts appears to be deffective out of the box.

I can not beleive they are not aware of the complaints. I can not beileve they would stick with an inherently flawed design. If there is a relatively simple fix like using a narrower brush; why would they not ship the product with that brush.
I am now just learning about motors and maybe I am missing something simple, but I find the whole rap on Reedy stock motors kind of confusing.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Um Jonah

THE MOTOR NATURALLY RUNS HOT! THATS A CHARACTERISTIC OF THE MOTOR

I avoid running a Monster when I can cause if you do happen to heat it up it really kills the magnets. The magnets are super-weak
Old 07-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

imjonah - The Mvp always runs hot, so does the orion core. That doesn't mean that they are crap or defective. The Mvp and Core are solid motors, and when geared and setup correctly can be competative. But I've found gearing them can get tricky since you have to be spot-on. Also I think alot of people that have tried them don't gear them high enough. I was running in the low 6's on a medium sized track. Narrow the brush ends, add red/green springs, align the hoods so the brushes wear in the center, polish the bushings and your good to go. I've done well with the Mvp in the past but have since gotten sick of burning my hands while trying to do motor maintenance in between heats. The monster and binary are just easier to deal with imo. I'll be running all three through next winter so it should be interesting for comparison purposes.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What brushes should i run in a P2K2
for a small tight track (touring)
springs?
thanks
Old 07-19-2004, 02:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to post!
Old 07-19-2004, 02:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by losixxx
What brushes should i run in a P2K2
for a small tight track (touring)
springs?
thanks
Use 4499 brushes and try Red on + side and Green on - side. That should give you a pretty good setup for that motor.

-Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.