Hi end battery charger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hi end battery charger

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Hi end battery charger

Hi all, I am about to get a new electric on-Road car and looking to get a battery charger (hi end) which one should I get & where? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have a Pro-Trak and really like it. The US distributer is below. Pro-Trak also has a website.

Chris Rhodes RC
663 Simmer Way
Rio Vista, CA 94571

Phone # 1-209-598-5517
[email protected]
Old 08-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Contact Mr. Crimson eagle (Chris), the US Distributor of ProTrak. Hands down the BEST charger/discharger on the market and has been for the last 8yrs or more. And right now they're going for $350!! Strike while the irons hot -JB
Old 08-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

I believe you get most value for money in the high end market by buying Duratrax Ice. Futaba, Competition Electronics and Pro-Trak are all arguably better. Higher discharge current being the most popular comment. Futaba and Pro-Trak also offer individual cell monitoring as extra equipment. But they all cost lot more than what you pay for the Ice (130$ at Towers).
Old 08-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

Protrak comes with a wiring harness to monitor individual cells The ICS Unit is one of the X-TRA items you would have to purchase seperately. And higher discharge amperage ISN'T the main selling point if a person looked and researched it's other features -JB
Old 08-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

It all boils down to what you need and what your budget is. Do you need high amp discharge built in the charger? Do you need individual cell monitoring? Do you need to charge Lithium cells? Why not buy one of each ?

I forgot to mention the Tekin charger, BC112. It was top of the line five years ago and is still among the best. But no discharge, PC connection or graphics. Just very compact high quality charger.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Go with the Team Much More Cell Master charger. This is a top notch charger and is getting a lot of attention at our local track. Several of us have switched over from our GFX and Pulsar's to the Cell Master, and a few more are migrating over. The charger is easy to setup, and Team Much More, and Nexus Racing are providing regular updates to charging profiles as information is relayed and tested. If you don't believe me ask Kumpol at Nexus racing http://www.nexusracing.net or talk to Michael at Thunder Racing http://www.thunderrc.com.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Old 08-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Personally, I prefer to use the same technology that all the battery matchers use. If there was a technology or charger/discharger that was better, I think they would use it. So until all the batteries matchers start using something else, I am stcking with Competition Electronics. Plus, it's truly the one single piece of equiment that I have ever owned for RC that I have not had one single problem with.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

They use those because the flaws in them can be manipulated (from what I've been told). Did I just say that? No really, it's prolly because it'll be REALLY EXPENSIVE to switch over to anything else, so I see why they stick to what they've got. Not to mention the learning curve. But you can't sit there with a straight face and tell me that while electronics have gotten increasingly BETTER over the last 10 years plus some, NO battery charger/discharger hasn't been able to outdo the CE line of chargers. And if I use that same line of thought, every racer would have a charger out of the CE lineup -JB
Old 08-02-2005, 02:55 AM
Tech Master

Competition Electronics makes some of the best chargers on the market and their coustomer service is second to none.They can also update their chargers when they do find something a little better.
All chargers that have been mentioned are good chargers that you won't be disipointed in.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Try the APS Racing 3-1 Dyno Charger. You will values for money, except that it had no discharge function. However, most of us do not use the charger to discharge the cells, because the discharge rate is low for most of the charger. My $0.02........

http://www.rctech.net/reviews/review...e_futureal.php
Old 08-02-2005, 05:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I’ll have to say Team Much More Cell Master. I have noticed the performance increased when I switched from GFX and LRP Comp 5 weeks ago.

The pack(s) comes off the charger much cooler then GFX and LRP Comp. Like munrath said, Nexus Racing is the best place to go and get the charging profiles.

I am using IB3800 exclusively and MMCM, both together gave me the edge I’ve always looking for.

If you are looking for the Hi-end charger. This is IT!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I don't think the low temperature of a pack at the end of a charge is a selling point, it means your delta peak voltage is too low. Most battery matchers recommend temperature charging your packs to 140deg due to the chemical reaction of the cell giving you the best performance at that temp.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I didn’t mean low low temp. My packs come off a little bit under 130 and the temp will continue rising for the next 2-5 min or so eventhought the charging process has already stop. If the pack comes off hot to begin with the temp will still continue rising, it does stop there.

Then we put the pack right in our car and let it rip, all together will push the envelop of the cells further if our pack come off the charge HOT.

My avg 3300 pack will take anywhere from 3700~4000 mhA, 3800 anywhere from 4100+.

Using MMCM I’ve got 3 failsafe (Capacity cut off, Temp cut off and Peak cut off) I didn’t have to worry about anything. Unless something is seriously wrong with my pack internally.

Step charing technology has been proven and using on the far east a few years ago. Many had good results with it so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.