Wiki Posts
Search

12th scale spec tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default 12th scale spec tire

I was wondering what you guys thought about a spec tire for running 12th scale. For at least 17.5 and 13.5 class it would help with keeping cost down and make it more a car set up and driver skill. I love running WorldGT because of spec tire that last longer and won't cost much at big races.

This is just my two cents worth sorry if I offended anyone
I know this was brought up before but we need to look at it and consider it for less cost in racing 12 th scale
Thanks Chris
Old 02-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess for spec classes it could work. The only problem is a control tire might not work on certain track surfaces.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ck-1-12-a.html

See if you can find a piece of the horse that hasn't been beat!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Never mind

Last edited by rctrackman; 02-12-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This has been discussed ad nauseam... Why re-open the can again?
Old 02-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

would be totally against a spec tire!! just my 2 sense!!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Tech Addict

Maybe a moderator can combine this thread with the old one...

I both Love and hate the idea of a spec tires in 12th scale.

I love the idea of tire tuning. It's always been a key part of 12th scale racing and its part of what makes it interesting.

HOWEVER...as a privateer, i.e. someone who buys all of my tires from Stormer, Amain, etc...the expense for running big races is ludicrous. I don't club race and only attend a few medium/big trophy races a year. For example...I ran the US indoor champs last year. I used probably 6 sets of tires over the weekend. At a minimum, you probably need 2 front compounds (lets say...black and chrome) and 2 rear compounds (Graylow and Green). At retail prices, 12 sets of tires is ~$275! And the reality is, you probably are going to bring more than 2 front and 2 rear compounds so your tire budget can easily exceed that.

At this point, I'm probably going to switch to a TC class for a while at least for big races where the most I can spend on tires is $75-90/event.

Just my .02....
Old 02-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by S.Stew
Maybe a moderator can combine this thread with the old one...

I both Love and hate the idea of a spec tires in 12th scale.

I love the idea of tire tuning. It's always been a key part of 12th scale racing and its part of what makes it interesting.

HOWEVER...as a privateer, i.e. someone who buys all of my tires from Stormer, Amain, etc...the expense for running big races is ludicrous. I don't club race and only attend a few medium/big trophy races a year. For example...I ran the US indoor champs last year. I used probably 6 sets of tires over the weekend. At a minimum, you probably need 2 front compounds (lets say...black and chrome) and 2 rear compounds (Graylow and Green). At retail prices, 12 sets of tires is ~$275! And the reality is, you probably are going to bring more than 2 front and 2 rear compounds so your tire budget can easily exceed that.

At this point, I'm probably going to switch to a TC class for a while at least for big races where the most I can spend on tires is $75-90/event.

Just my .02....
But the fact that you are admitting that you need two types of tires, front and rear is why spec'ing a 12th scale car is a bad idea. They are little land missiles and need to be tuned to each track and driver style.

WGT as it stands now is a bigger, more stable and slower car to drive so the spec tire works as is.

Btw, some people who have raced big events have said that they took the same known tires and it worked for them.

Also, big races tend to be expensive anyways.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman
But the fact that you are admitting that you need two types of tires, front and rear is why spec'ing a 12th scale car is a bad idea. They are little land missiles and need to be tuned to each track and driver style.

WGT as it stands now is a bigger, more stable and slower car to drive so the spec tire works as is.

Btw, some people who have raced big events have said that they took the same known tires and it worked for them.

Also, big races tend to be expensive anyways.
He only needs all the tires because he doesnt know what will be the "hot ticket". A combo like chrome and graylow pretty much works good everywhere for 17.5, but it might not be the "hot ticket". If everyone runs chrome and graylow, then you dont have to worry about it. Just true your handout tires, adjust the setup and drive. You might pick different tires for different speeds, but the idea that you arent getting beat by tires you may or may not have makes things a lot easier for mortals who have to pay for tires. Magenta front and rear definitely is not the hot ticket for WGT, but it works good enough, so you just adjust the setup and drive

Last edited by geeunit1014; 02-12-2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: i a word
Old 02-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
He only needs all the tires because he doesnt know what will be the "hot ticket". A combo like chrome and graylow pretty much works good everywhere for 17.5, but it might not be the "hot ticket". If everyone runs black and graylow, then you dont have to worry about it. Just true your handout tires, adjust the setup and drive. You might pick different tires for different speeds, but the idea that you arent getting beat by tires you may or may not have makes things a lot easier for mortals who have to pay for tires. Magenta front and rear definitely is not the hot ticket for WGT, but it works good enough, so you just adjust the setup and drive
Exactly.

Actually, at that particular race I ran purple/graylow, black/graylow, chrome/graylow, Chrome yellow, and chrome/blue. However, one combo ultimately proved to work better over 8 minutes. The point is that All of them "worked" and I had pretty good pace on every combo. But usually how it goes at these races is like Gee said... one combo seems click and if you didn't bring it you're gonna be off pace.

I could probably suck it up and handle the cost if tires we're available at ~$7/pair. However at $11-12/pair, its gotten to the point (for me at least) that I'm going to try my hand at TC for a while where I know if I want to attend a big race, my tire cost is fixed. Bringing ~$400+ of tires to an RC race is a little nuts.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Count me as a yes vote for spec tires in 1/12th...at least for 17.5. In the faster classes, then yes, it's perhaps more important to allow the driver to select any tire that helps him to control his land missle. Having said that, the spec tires are much of the attraction to WGT, because it makes the class really affordable and worry free. Typically I can easily run one set of WGT tires even at a major race, with no worry about trying out different combinations to try and find that last couple of tenths. Just setup the car and drive it to the best of my ability. IMO, spec tires for 1/12th would cut the tire bill dramatically and make things far simpler.....just as they have proven to do for the WGT cars. For that reason, I vote YES to spec tires for 17.5 1/12th.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

You'd think with all this talk about success of WGT, that it would be the largest pan car class by a landslide ...
Old 02-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
You'd think with all this talk about success of WGT, that it would be the largest pan car class by a landslide ...
And based on this talk, you would think that the spec 12th classes are dying at the national level...
Old 02-13-2014, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Cool

Very simple IMO. I have never been to a facility where the following tires haven't been the "ticket"

17.5 rear- Graylow or blue. The last 5-6 major races I have attended a yellow based tire has won. I like graylows because they don't chunk. Some guys run blues and have good luck as well. There's you tires in the rear

17.5 front- black or chrome. I've never been at a track where either one of these haven't had enough turn. There's your fronts.

13.5 rear- blue or pink

13.5 front- magenta

I think it's a lot simpler than most think. Just because there is an abundant amout of tires available the facts speak louder. If your going to a large carpet race in this county, bring the following tires and you will have the right tires. Period.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by WIITA
Very simple IMO. I have never been to a facility where the following tires haven't been the "ticket"

17.5 rear- Graylow or blue. The last 5-6 major races I have attended a yellow based tire has won. I like graylows because they don't chunk. Some guys run blues and have good luck as well. There's you tires in the rear

17.5 front- black or chrome. I've never been at a track where either one of these haven't had enough turn. There's your fronts.

13.5 rear- blue or pink

13.5 front- magenta

I think it's a lot simpler than most think. Just because there is an abundant amout of tires available the facts speak louder. If your going to a large carpet race in this county, bring the following tires and you will have the right tires. Period.
I don't know who this "Wiita" guy is, but he is making a lot of sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.