Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with wheel nuts

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Need help with wheel nuts

So i think i kinda screwed up, i used serrated flanges wheel nuts on my wheels without washers and now i cant get them off. Can anyone offer advice on how to take them off? Thanks

Scott
Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Put yer back into it!
You shouldn't have to use washers.
Just use a bigger wrench, something with some leverage.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds like what you are supposed to use. Did you use thread lock? You shouldn't. Did you crossthread the axle? How hard did you tighten the nut?
Old 12-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Tech Initiate

I appreciate the quick responses. I did not use thread lock, i didnt cross thread anything, it went on smooth and i definitely didnt over tightens glad to hear that i didnt do anything wrong. Im still using little tiny thumb wrench so im sure once i use somethin with more leverage itll come right out.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ScottySTi
So i think i kinda screwed up, i used serrated flanges wheel nuts on my wheels without washers and now i cant get them off. Can anyone offer advice on how to take them off? Thanks

Scott
also when you tighten them that tight it has a definite possibility you can squish the plastic causing your track width to vary so make sure you check that out too
Old 01-01-2014, 04:16 AM
Tech Addict

you can use the thumb wrench if you put a hex driver through it to give more leverage
Old 01-01-2014, 05:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default serrated nuts

The nuts had cut deeply into the wheels and now it will have to take two grown man to undo it. You will need another person to hold the wheel and tire while you try to unscrew it. You'll also need to get a socket with a handle, the thumb screw will just work your fingers. This will definitely be this first workout of the new year.

Happened to me a few times running brushless power on a short course truck. It didn't need muck to put the screw on but the truck had so much power that the wheel spun tightly onto the screw itself. I did contemplate about cutting the nut with a dremel but luckily a friend came over and yeah, it took two grown men to undo it.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default serrated nuts

rctech server is super slow making this post a second post but I edited this instead.

Last edited by SuperFastSnail; 01-01-2014 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Could it be true, a super fast snail is faster then the RC Tech server?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Live & learn! Use muscle!! Its plastic! You use a wrench, use a longer one, use a 1/4" ratchet, use a 3/8". Use a air wrench go ahead!!! its plastic. purchase a new wheel. A hobby. Regular nut use washers, optional, don't matter.

Have fun!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Geezatec
Live & learn! Use muscle!! Its plastic! You use a wrench, use a longer one, use a 1/4" ratchet, use a 3/8". Use a air wrench go ahead!!! its plastic. purchase a new wheel. A hobby. Regular nut use washers, optional, don't matter.

Have fun!!!
Yeah its definitely live and learn, im pretty sure thats the definition for experience. I have plenty of new wheels but i cant use any of em if i didnt get these wheel nuts off. And yes this is a hobby. Ur post is so confusing. were u drunk wen u posted?
Old 01-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

This is why I use only non-serrated wheel nuts for onroad. Get some good non-serrated nyloc nuts with a flange and never worry about this again.

Socket and ratchet should get them off though.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I use the super sharp losi serrated nuts on my TCs and have zero issues. You just need a quality nut driver to take them off (and a tiny bit of elbow grease), and you just need to make sure you don't crank them down when tightening.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Drunk!!! lol!! just experience. Experience since '84!!! Nascar wheel lugs only 25lbs of torgue. Impact wrench set 20%. RC hobby 13"lbs is enough, or run wheel nut finger tight then add 1/4 - 1/2 turn. Small wheel screws don't take much, wheel nut take more. You'll get the feel of it, comes down to common sense.

Have fun!! No I wasn't drunk!! lol!! got you to read comment! lol!!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geezatec
Drunk!!! lol!! just experience. Experience since '84!!! Nascar wheel lugs only 25lbs of torgue. Impact wrench set 20%. RC hobby 13"lbs is enough, or run wheel nut finger tight then add 1/4 - 1/2 turn. Small wheel screws don't take much, wheel nut take more. You'll get the feel of it, comes down to common sense.

Have fun!! No I wasn't drunk!! lol!! got you to read comment! lol!!
I think your posts seem confusing sometimes because of the lack of complete sentences. Not trying to offend you at all. I've noticed it in some of your other posts. But I normally get what you are saying.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Tips to using serrated nuts:

When tighten, stop as soon as you feel a soft click. Any tighter, it becomes one with the wheel!

Can also try scrubbing the serrated surface on sandpaper to blunt its edge to reduce its bite friction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.