Search
Like Tree305Likes

Xray X1 - Formula One Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim Neja
You can leave the battery in and run all day on it.
Depends. Many places require you to charge in a lipo bag, not in the car. So, leaving it in, might not really be an option.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It's tricky bleeding the shocks per the manual, it takes some practice and I don't rebuild them enough to get it right every time.And if you do it wrong, you introduce air back into the shock.

If I still have some rebound, I'll turn the shock upside down, unscrew the bottom cap, slide the cap up and push the shock shaft slightly to the side. Excess oil will come out past the O rings, but no air will go back in. Not my idea, I found it in a video while trying to figure it out, just like you.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Volante tires setup

Hi guys.. I have used Volante Ets tire compound, medium in front and super soft in rear. . No good result because i lost the rear during long corners with xray x1 car....
Someone have a good basic set up for this tires with 25/30 ° Celsius on asphalt? I would like to understand these tires... On the same track with ride gr the car was quite good...
Thanks in adavance!
Old 05-17-2018, 06:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by belewis01
It's tricky bleeding the shocks per the manual, it takes some practice and I don't rebuild them enough to get it right every time.And if you do it wrong, you introduce air back into the shock.

If I still have some rebound, I'll turn the shock upside down, unscrew the bottom cap, slide the cap up and push the shock shaft slightly to the side. Excess oil will come out past the O rings, but no air will go back in. Not my idea, I found it in a video while trying to figure it out, just like you.
--> Will try this method, thanks!

Originally Posted by carrizojim
I learned from this Alexander Hagberg video....

--> So, zero rebound is preferred then? I saw that video, that's where I first heard it, but that's a TC race on carpet, so wasn't sure it could be translated to F1 center shock + on asphalt.
I will try it, but am still kind of confused with the zero rebound thing​​​​. Isn't it just working the spring then?
Originally Posted by DirkW
Depends. Many places require you to charge in a lipo bag, not in the car. So, leaving it in, might not really be an option.
--> This + then I would spend more time waiting on a charging battery than driving, whereas when I bring 3 batteries, I can just let everything cool off put in a new battery and go. I won't get around to driving as much as I would like so want to make the most of it. Do most of you run 1 battery the whole time?

Originally Posted by Adamska27
Stinj - You need to bleed more oil out of your center shock if you can't compress it fully as you said, side shock sounds like it is OK
I don't run the inline battery, I'm no help on that
--> thanks, i'll put in the side shock like it is then.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stinj

--> So, zero rebound is preferred then? I saw that video, that's where I first heard it, but that's a TC race on carpet, so wasn't sure it could be translated to F1 center shock + on asphalt.
I will try it, but am still kind of confused with the zero rebound thing​​​​. Isn't it just working the spring then?

Not really, it helps if you aren’t getting enough droop, which on this car isn’t very much anyway. Also, it’s not going to change the dampening, that’s controlled by the holes in the piston and weight of the oil. On a bumpy track some rebound will help. I like my cars a little on the soft side. I race outdoor asphalt, but it’s pretty smooth. I run zero rebound on my TC, works awesome, car is on rails, not so much my driving though😂
Old 05-17-2018, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stinj

Here's another shock building video - it's for the 2018 ULP shocks, but I tried it yesterday for my 2017 SLP shocks on my T4 ( same as X1 shocks ) and it worked perfectly. The trick is to push the membrane down about 2-3 mm then pull the shock shaft down before putting on the cap.
X Ray shock build

I always build for zero rebound, it's easy to be consistent that way, and if you look at the pros setup sheets, it's normally at zero as well.

X1 setup sheets
Old 05-18-2018, 03:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by belewis01
Here's another shock building video - it's for the 2018 ULP shocks, but I tried it yesterday for my 2017 SLP shocks on my T4 ( same as X1 shocks ) and it worked perfectly. The trick is to push the membrane down about 2-3 mm then pull the shock shaft down before putting on the cap.
X Ray shock build

I always build for zero rebound, it's easy to be consistent that way, and if you look at the pros setup sheets, it's normally at zero as well.

X1 setup sheets
Followed this video and shaft goes in all the way now + zero rebound. Will start with this.

Just need to do some rewiring + fiddle with the esc and the transmitter and then I'm finally ready for the track.
Checking some measurements in the meantime. Found the camber to be off left VS right. Luckily found a post by searching this thread to unscrew the top plate and wiggle it a bit until it's the same left/right. Sloppy business.

Last edited by Stinj; 05-18-2018 at 03:28 AM. Reason: was asking where to measure ride height but found a post on it
Old 05-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For the 18 car, carbon chassis or aluminum flex for carpet?
Old 05-28-2018, 01:41 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Aluminum flex unless you are running on really low traction non-CRC carpet.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Low to medium traction on grey carpet. Sounds like carbon will be good enough for now.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

for the record...i did run a solid aluminum on a super low traction grey carpet. most of my issue was diff and punch setup. aside from that i just ran the car close to the same. felt generally solid. I also didnt make the changes necessary to make it easier to drive that i mentioned so....

aluminum, if that's already what you have if you're running on low traction (aside from asphalt, which i cant speak on) is fine
Sean B. likes this.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For tarmac I'm going back to the ball diff I think, that's what everyone is using on asphalt right?
Gear diffs pretty much only on carpet right?
Thanks to all for input
Old 06-08-2018, 09:41 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Yeag, ball diff for asphalt. Tried gear diff on asphalt before and did not like it.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm building an X1'18 and I noticed that the upper arm bushings are tight. The arms do not fall down under their own weight (before attaching steering block). Is there a way to free this up, or is is supposed to be tight?
Old 06-11-2018, 06:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Billy, There could be several reasons. It can be that the plastic balls and screws are too tight because the holes in the carbon are too small for the holders. That could put them in a bind. Mine do move freely. You can heat the balls and cups with a blow drier and move them up and down until they are free. Also the balls in different locations are slightly different shapes. Some have a collar on both ends and some only on one side. You need to make sure you have them in the right location and orientation. BTW, glad you got one. I have really been enjoying it. I got mine dialed in really good. If you come to Newman's I can help you out. If you come there, you have to have a spool to turn fast laps. Otherwise you will be diffing out in every corner. Cristian, Marcus and myself had some insane close battles. It is pretty fun finishing so close because they are all so evenly matched..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.