Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

CRC F1

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Hey guys, I have one of these cars come no this week and want to know what the must have parts are for this car? Also what wings work best so I can order some. Lastly does petit have set up sheets for high grip carpet?
Old 07-20-2015, 12:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MarkBurgess
Not sure - depends how wide those Ride springs are. The bottom e-clip could be made wider with a thin washer but it is the brass ball cup that would need to be measured to be sure.

If you have a width I can check.

My recommendation is to stick the the kit front spring. They have felt spot on both in big US and UK meetings, so no reason to change them.
The brass ball cup is about 5mm.
Do you mean the kit 0.45mm spring?
It works fine for me, too. Just wanted to have a few more options to play with...
Old 07-20-2015, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Laker67
Hey guys, I have one of these cars come no this week and want to know what the must have parts are for this car? Also what wings work best so I can order some. Lastly does petit have set up sheets for high grip carpet?
If you occasionally bang walls like me, you'll find the links are pretty weak. I'm replacing mine with AE (ball studs too)
Old 07-20-2015, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BadSign
If you occasionally bang walls like me, you'll find the links are pretty weak. I'm replacing mine with AE (ball studs too)
I'm still pretty new to this F1 thing, do you mean the links the hold the front an rear of the car together?

Also, the wing situation, what wings work with this thing?
Old 07-20-2015, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Laker67;14103223]I'm still pretty new to this F1 thing, do you mean the links the hold the front an rear of the car together? [/QUOTE ]

Yup, exactly.

Also, the wing situation, what wings work with this thing?
Any Tamiya rear wing will work. You'll want a Tamiya F104 wing for the front. The Tamiya F60 is the most popular, and works with most bodies.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Laker67
Lastly does petit have set up sheets for high grip carpet?
I have just purchased one myself to race here in New Zealand ( just arrived this morning in fact), Set up sheets appear to be very limited to none to access, I've actually tried contacting Frank Calandra and the team at CRC direct and have had no response or reply to my e-mails so you may have to rely solely on your own trial n error or hopefully someone on here will come to your aid....I've had a good look through the forums and managed to find a few set up tips but no set up sheets. Here in New Zealand we do not allow the use of tire additives for indoor carpet or outdoor asphalt racing so that adds another dimension to set up ...on that note if anyone could share any further set up tips it would be much appreciated
Old 07-30-2015, 01:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Build Finished

Pro's - Super smooth diff, bearings supplied in kit are excellent, all the alloy is very precise, kit instructions for putting the front wheels on makes these very precise too , no play at all
Cons - Spacers for Front End to lower ride height of front arms need to be modified to work with front wings being installed as previously pointed out by other forum users - tools in the kit are not the best quality, along with some strange sizing for the hex heads - smallest allen keys ive ever had to use on a build ( but i am still a novice ), only accepts mini servo's, lack of any real support from the CRC Team
Tips: Patience required for assembly and pre thread the holes for the tweak screws

Would i buy another one = Will see how it goes in its first race meeting next week, at this stage though i don't think i would, Tamiya is a lot more user friendly, The new Xray's and Tamiyas appear more solid in construction, but if it performs like a demon .... I may say otherwise in the future
Old 07-31-2015, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagzternz1
Build Finished

Pro's - Super smooth diff, bearings supplied in kit are excellent, all the alloy is very precise, kit instructions for putting the front wheels on makes these very precise too , no play at all
Cons - Spacers for Front End to lower ride height of front arms need to be modified to work with front wings being installed as previously pointed out by other forum users - tools in the kit are not the best quality, along with some strange sizing for the hex heads - smallest allen keys ive ever had to use on a build ( but i am still a novice ), only accepts mini servo's, lack of any real support from the CRC Team
Tips: Patience required for assembly and pre thread the holes for the tweak screws

Would i buy another one = Will see how it goes in its first race meeting next week, at this stage though i don't think i would, Tamiya is a lot more user friendly, The new Xray's and Tamiyas appear more solid in construction, but if it performs like a demon .... I may say otherwise in the future
You'll want to try battery back and battery forward configurations to see which one suits you better if you're running a shorty. As it's based on one of the best pan cars ever built and has won just about everything it has ever been raced in, I'd say you made a good choice. You should be able to mount a full sized servo Tamiya style with the provided CF plates and red anodized mounts. I used the recommended servo with 1mm washers under it for more clearance. I've also put removed the back screw on part 1547, Page 7 and replaced it with a 12mm screw, 7mm spacer and nyloc nut to create a steering stop. This stops the steering arm from over rotating and popping the ball out the back of the cup in an impact. I set my max epa for the lock, but my dual rate shows I'm nowhere near full throw, so there is no impact to function. I don't lock the set screw that holds the end cap pin in place. I let the rim keep it in place. Just be careful when you take the rear wheel off.

Enjoy!
Old 08-02-2015, 02:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by M.Boos
The brass ball cup is about 5mm.
Do you mean the kit 0.45mm spring?
It works fine for me, too. Just wanted to have a few more options to play with...
Yes I mean the kit 0.45mm spring, which is the longer spring from World GT kits not a shorter 0.45 spring used in 1/12th.

Worked well everywhere I've run
Old 08-02-2015, 03:22 AM
Tech Regular

Build Finished

Hope the first race goes well for you. My WTF-1 had its debut race at the 2014 IIC which was a blast.

I ran a Tamiya F104 V2 for just over a season. Had some decent results with it, but it was very fragile (I still have two full sets of front suspension mouldings...just in case). And I couldn't get the handling spot on with high grip carpet.

The WTF-1 was quick straight out of the box. Handling was way better than the F104 V2 and with small tweaks has got even better. Weight is below the limit for 2S so I can choose where I add ballast. And did I mention it was quick?

I've also fitted a steering lock using long screws and some washers. And replaced the side link balls with the CRC Hard Anodized side link balls (p/n 13616).

I have a busy non-racing summer, but do have all I need to convert my WTF-1 back to 2S and 21.5 spec. That was the easiest decision once the BRCA Nationals were offering a choice of 13.5 1S or 21.5 2S
Old 08-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Smile

Originally Posted by MarkBurgess
Hope the first race goes well for you. My WTF-1 had its debut race at the 2014 IIC which was a blast.

I ran a Tamiya F104 V2 for just over a season. Had some decent results with it, but it was very fragile (I still have two full sets of front suspension mouldings...just in case). And I couldn't get the handling spot on with high grip carpet.

The WTF-1 was quick straight out of the box. Handling was way better than the F104 V2 and with small tweaks has got even better. Weight is below the limit for 2S so I can choose where I add ballast. And did I mention it was quick?

I've also fitted a steering lock using long screws and some washers. And replaced the side link balls with the CRC Hard Anodized side link balls (p/n 13616).

I have a busy non-racing summer, but do have all I need to convert my WTF-1 back to 2S and 21.5 spec. That was the easiest decision once the BRCA Nationals were offering a choice of 13.5 1S or 21.5 2S
Thanks Mark ,

Appreciate the e-mail you sent me over the weekend as well which i have just read at the start of my working day here in NZ, thankyou for the tips that were enclosed , looking forward to putting the car through its paces this Saturday Night coming at our next club meeting, appreciate your input
Old 08-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
You'll want to try battery back and battery forward configurations to see which one suits you better if you're running a shorty. As it's based on one of the best pan cars ever built and has won just about everything it has ever been raced in, I'd say you made a good choice. You should be able to mount a full sized servo Tamiya style with the provided CF plates and red anodized mounts. I used the recommended servo with 1mm washers under it for more clearance. I've also put removed the back screw on part 1547, Page 7 and replaced it with a 12mm screw, 7mm spacer and nyloc nut to create a steering stop. This stops the steering arm from over rotating and popping the ball out the back of the cup in an impact. I set my max epa for the lock, but my dual rate shows I'm nowhere near full throw, so there is no impact to function. I don't lock the set screw that holds the end cap pin in place. I let the rim keep it in place. Just be careful when you take the rear wheel off.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the advice , appreciate the support and tips
Old 08-06-2015, 05:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Received an e-mail from Frank Calandra today, appreciate the support i have received from the team at CRC my faith is restored, looking forward to my first race meeting tomorrow with the WTF1
Old 08-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Tech Regular

Received an e-mail from Frank Calandra today, appreciate the support i have received from the team at CRC my faith is restored, looking forward to my first race meeting tomorrow with the WTF1
Awesome! Good luck and have fun
Old 10-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Well after a disastrous first meeting out with the CRC ( 2 sheared original side link balls and no replacements available at the time and steering not returning to neutral) I am happy to report that my second outing with the WTF-1 was alot more successful, no podium finishes but feel confident that the car is on track for better placings in the future in my hands once i get my apexes consistent, 1s slower than the quickest guys but these are seasoned racers who have won many races who race very smooth lines, Qualified 5th and finished 5th overall in the final at our latest club meeting, Qualifier 1 was really my practice run to try n get a feel for what was working and whats not - finished 6th, Qualifier 2 - finished 5th, Qualifier 3 - held 2nd place for 8 laps before making a crucial mistake which dropped me back to 5th, In the final i got knocked on the first lap which dropped me back to 7th and set the tone for the whole race, couple of crucial errors again but fought my way back into 5th spot and set my fastest time for the night - . I am still fairly fresh to carpet racing and Racing F1 and this is my second season overall. Here in NZ we don't allow tire additives so getting the tire choice right at the beginning is a must, Used GQ Racing super soft rears with hard fronts, hard front springs, orange centre spring, kit side springs, One change i have made to the chassis is that i run solid steel turnbuckle steering links as my side links and have adapted some ball links to hold these on, I found my particular kit set up didn't give the rear end a nice smooth rotation, using these links has improved the feel of the rear overall for me and has given the rear pod some good clearance from the main chassis and added some durability, racing here can get a bit rough sometimes... I will be competing at the NZRCA Nationals in February 2016 which will be on an outdoor Asphalt track I've never raced on - so will be a good test of my progress. Thanks again to Team CRC for their support!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.