Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T4'14

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jont
Has anyone tried a front gear diff in their t4 14?
I'm after som more steering on power and would be nice a little more of power?
gear diff in the front = more turn in - less on power steering from Alex Haberg on the Xray forum
Old 01-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

That's pretty much exactly what I felt too whenever I tried a gear diff up front. More turn in but less exit.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Now that the 14 has been run for a while now what has been the biggest plus for the car on the track, knowing that mid corner steering could be a problem with the 13, has this been made significantly better with the new car?
Old 01-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Dal
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Noob here,
With new tires, rubber muchmore, do I need to rough them up before use, or goop them and heat , or what is the best way to get them ready for first run.
Also, with spec 13.5, I have a novak oldie, what is recomended gear ratio
Old 01-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jont
Has anyone tried a front gear diff in their t4 14?
I'm after som more steering on power and would be nice a little more of power?
Add caster and run a gear diff...
Old 01-25-2014, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Xpress
Add caster and run a gear diff...
gear diff = less on power steering
Old 01-25-2014, 01:59 AM
Tech Addict

ok,so hypothetically speaking,youve fitted a 1million front diff cause its wet tarmac and you need more turn in,what would you look to change to get back some on power steering?
Old 01-25-2014, 02:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Less front droop
Lay front shocks down
anti dive
6 degree caster blocks

No particular order. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

I am a little confused.....

I see alot saying to run anti-dive and increase caster to gain more steering. I tried this and I seemed to lose some over all steering. Both middle and on power.

I then went back to 4deg caster and put kick up in the car and had way more steering. So much so that I then took about 5 clicks of D/R out.

Even after reading the set up guide a few times I am still not getting why its more common to run anti-dive with more caster vs just running kick up.

Can some one help me under stand this a little better?
Old 01-25-2014, 05:25 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imprsme
I am a little confused.....

I see alot saying to run anti-dive and increase caster to gain more steering. I tried this and I seemed to lose some over all steering. Both middle and on power.

I then went back to 4deg caster and put kick up in the car and had way more steering. So much so that I then took about 5 clicks of D/R out.

Even after reading the set up guide a few times I am still not getting why its more common to run anti-dive with more caster vs just running kick up.

Can some one help me under stand this a little better?
The more caster you run at the blocks it will cause the car to jack more weight into that wheel and also more camber when turning in the center of a corner. Thus making the car turn more center out but also make the car more tipy (Prone to traction rolling). By running 4 degree with kickup this doesnt cause this quite as much but it will affect how it goes over bumps and tracks down the straights and still be tippy. The kickup will cause it to turn in harder (giving the affect of more steering).

Running 6 degree with anti dive will still have steering but the anti dive will keep the car from being tippy off power due to it not transferring as much weight to the front end off power but still have steering center out with the blocks. The draw back is a loss of steering into the corner. The anti dive seems to work better with a gear diff in the front.

EA
Old 01-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
ok,so hypothetically speaking,youve fitted a 1million front diff cause its wet tarmac and you need more turn in,what would you look to change to get back some on power steering?
My go-to for on-power steering is thicker rear diff. Although that may go against the corner entry from the front diff.

Originally Posted by Odin544
Less front droop
Lay front shocks down
anti dive
6 degree caster blocks

No particular order. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Less front droop, every time I've tried it recently, does give more on power steering, but makes the car much less predictable, and makes it push mid corner. Also, with a front gear diff, it can cause diffing out.

-Mike
Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Tech Rookie

I have a dumb build question... this is my first TC so bear with me. Most of my surface experience is with off-road 1/8 (otherwise I'm mostly a flier).

Using a Savox 1258MG steering servo and the kit servo saver, with the steering rod in the noon position I can't get the rod to clear the top plate. What's a good alternative here? I can see: lose the saver and use a plain arm; move the ball to the hole closest to the servo axle; angle the saver arm lower (like maybe 10-11 o'clock) and shorten the rod. The latter would be the easiest, but wouldn't that result in an asymmetric steering response? Longer/shorter seems easier to deal with - just tweak the radio slightly. (Airtronics M12 in my case.) Any advice?
Old 01-25-2014, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DirtSurfer
I have a dumb build question... this is my first TC so bear with me. Most of my surface experience is with off-road 1/8 (otherwise I'm mostly a flier).

Using a Savox 1258MG steering servo and the kit servo saver, with the steering rod in the noon position I can't get the rod to clear the top plate. What's a good alternative here? I can see: lose the saver and use a plain arm; move the ball to the hole closest to the servo axle; angle the saver arm lower (like maybe 10-11 o'clock) and shorten the rod. The latter would be the easiest, but wouldn't that result in an asymmetric steering response? Longer/shorter seems easier to deal with - just tweak the radio slightly. (Airtronics M12 in my case.) Any advice?
You can lower the servo in the mount; with it at the top you usually have around 1.0-1.5mm clearance between the servo and chassis. You only really need about 0.5mm clearance to avoid any flex/tweak issues. I put a few pieces of header card on top of the servo when fitting it to space it out (then remove the card).

This has always worked fine for Savox servos for me.

For my new Sanwa servo (which is slightly taller) I've had to fit a rod that uses a smaller hex to avoid the hex hitting the top-deck.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Correction: it's a Savox 1251MG (not 1258). I think the underlying problem is the servo is a little too compact and the axle not far enough out. This causes the rod to hit the top deck in the outermost saver hole. It clears the deck in the inner. But then, the saver fails to clear the steering mount/pivot so I can't use the full steering range... If I file off the tip of the saver it should clear the pivot.

Perhaps I can move the servo further outwards - that should solve both problems... Hmm...
Attached Thumbnails Xray T4'14-steerer.jpg  
Old 01-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Solved! Angled the saver block outwards so an inside hole is in the neutral position. Remounted the servo lower, spaced three sheets of printer paper off the chassis. Reduced the ball joint spacers from 4 to 2mm. Took out the servo spacers. It looks to clear enough that I could probably put the servo spacers back in, or go back to 4mm on the ball joint... Anyway, now I feel confident enough about this to shorten that servo lead! Thank you very much for the suggestion to mount the servo lower!
Attached Thumbnails Xray T4'14-steerer2.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.