Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RCHSR: Radio Controlled Historic Sportscar Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The best deals for Round Cell packs is to use someone like "Cheap Battery Packs DOT Com"

Use someone like that for your "Spec" type pack - for a 4 cell pack of 3300 nimh wired/assembled w/ a deans plug is like $17.00
Old 09-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Remember you get what you pay for. Cheap is not always the best way to go in anything.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BullFrog
No RJSpeed does not sell a 4 cell battery or motor. In fact nobody sells a 4 cellpack. As for you guys trying to reinvent the WGT class to include the 200mm running agqinst the 235 that is crazy. The 235 will handle much better- been there and done that.The standard 1 cell 200mm with all the esc out there that will had a 1 cell lipo is easy to find. a booster is simple to install if needed. As for tires the GQ spec WGT wear very well and work fine but on road and oval. Limiting chassis, gear ratio's and tires is not the answer. Any hobby is expensive if you want it to be.You can race on a budget-I do.
Bill, not trying to reinvent wgt at all. We'd like to see GTP reinvented though. Since wgt offers a good chassis base it's only natural to use that design. It's a shame that wgt hasn't seen growth but that doesn't mean the chassis design has to die with it. I think we all agree that the 235 width would prove itself to be superior but that should be something left to the driver to find out. The nice part is that these cars can be modified pretty simply to wide width. 1 cell is part of the problem. It's simply not as easy to deal with. maybe easy for you but I have to ask....why ?? What does 1 cell do that 2 cell won't ? Personally I hated trying to deal with a booster,extra wiring and receiver packs.
Overall, the concentration needs to be more about scale appearance, handling and racing vs. complicated electronics or stuff that makes the learning curve more difficult.
RC isn't a sport and surely shouldn't be about spending alot of money. It should be about a shared interest and good, fun, competitive racing.
Thats all this effort is. It doesn't tred on any other class, it doesn't require anything extraordinary to get into. It DOES utilise technology and materials easily available and mostly it DOES feed the interest of a particular group....Those that simply love the looks of GTP cars.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

At this point, we are "spit-balling", "brainstorming", or whatever you want to call it. We are kicking around ideas on a class that would be limited to GTP/LMP/DP bodies. The consensus thus far is that it'll be pan cars. The width of the cars, the electronics, etc are all up for discussion. If this isn't for you, we appreciate your taking part in the development of ideas. If you have a (preferably constructive) opinion, feel free to share.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I originally intended the discussion to be about WGTP in general and what it would look like. I think the discussion might have gotten mixed up when I mentioned beginners and maybe having a Sportsman's class. This came about because I think pan cars are easier to do that type of thing with. But I don't want the discussion to get off track-I'm talking about racers racing 1/10 GTP 200mm pan cars with realistic bodies, not the type of body you see in 1/12 or WGT today.

For getting body manufacturers to produce new products, they need to see a market and/or class for there to be enough demand. This is actually contrary to VTA and how it came about: first HPI made the bodies then came the class.

I think the reason VTA has done well is partly down to the fact that there are some restrictions, including motor limit, non-boosted esc's etc. I understand what some of you guys have written regarding 1 or 2 cell lipos and such, and I think on a national level, keeping with what has worked in WGT is probably the way to go. On a local club level, clubs can make adjustments as they see or feel necessary, such as allowing faster motors or 2 cell batteries.

We need a body company to make a scale version of a GTP car to get the ball rolling. That is why I suggested Tamiya and the 962. And if they came out with a decent competitive 1/10 car-let's call it an RM-02, you might see a few new racers coming out or coming out of retirement. In the history of GTP and Group C, the 962 made up the majority of the racing fields. It's also my favorite and what I would like to race the most-that's why I would like to see it come first.

Last edited by Ed Delgado; 09-22-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Grammar check
Old 09-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

Check out this video-you see the majority of cars are 962's:

http://youtu.be/lwDATNSfICs
Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

I have noticed that there is a great variety of 1/12 bodies of vintage prototypes.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by volracer
I have noticed that there is a great variety of 1/12 bodies of vintage prototypes.
That's because 1/12 has been around forever. That's great, but I'd like to see that in 1/10.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rctrackman
Bill, not trying to reinvent wgt at all. We'd like to see GTP reinvented though. Since wgt offers a good chassis base it's only natural to use that design. It's a shame that wgt hasn't seen growth but that doesn't mean the chassis design has to die with it. I think we all agree that the 235 width would prove itself to be superior but that should be something left to the driver to find out. The nice part is that these cars can be modified pretty simply to wide width. 1 cell is part of the problem. It's simply not as easy to deal with. maybe easy for you but I have to ask....why ?? What does 1 cell do that 2 cell won't ? Personally I hated trying to deal with a booster,extra wiring and receiver packs.
Overall, the concentration needs to be more about scale appearance, handling and racing vs. complicated electronics or stuff that makes the learning curve more difficult.
RC isn't a sport and surely shouldn't be about spending alot of money. It should be about a shared interest and good, fun, competitive racing.
Thats all this effort is. It doesn't tred on any other class, it doesn't require anything extraordinary to get into. It DOES utilise technology and materials easily available and mostly it DOES feed the interest of a particular group....Those that simply love the looks of GTP cars.
RCTrackman,

I know you had a bit of a hard time getting your 1s setup to work properly-but I think that's because you were new to it. 1/12 racers and WGT racers seem to be happy with it and seems to work alright. I'm beginning to think it would be better to continue a SC/Motor combo that works and is in use in what seems to be the only choice right now in 1/10 pan car racing. Maybe the 235mm cars can take on the 2s faster motor option as WGTP Pro-10?
Old 09-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
1/12th is not the same...1/10th works with parking lot racing much better than 1/12th does. Plus there is plenty of space on the chassis to mount electronics any way you want Not to mention the ratio of front suspension height to tire height and rear pod height to tire height makes it more difficult to have scale bodies. Yes there are some nice pretty scale bodies in 1/12th...but they can be done so much better in 1/10th.
RM-01s are ran in parking lots,you have to get rid of the 1/12th mentally though. Not running super small tires is a big factor.
You say it you cant have scale bodies because of the suspension but that is completely wrong.
You can sit and wait for somebody to make things or you can run 1/12th TODAY.
Porsche 956
Kremer Porsche
Spice
Lotech
C100
Toyota
Mazda
Nissan
Jaguar

Just a few of the bodies you can get right now,you could be running this weekend instead of dreaming up a class that will not happen anytime soon.
Attached Thumbnails RCHSR: Radio Controlled Historic Sportscar Racing-962.jpg  

Last edited by bakaguyjean; 09-22-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The 1/12th -1/10 on-road and oval guys all race 1 cell with either 17.5 and 13.5 motors. You can use a battery pack but most use a booster(Novak,TQ Cells or even a chinese company). The booster are very easy to use and install. As for bodies ask Ask McCallister about his old Jag and Nissan bodies. Maybe he'll narrow them down.
Ed when are you going to race in the state series again? Like to see you in WGT. Next race is just a hour away next month for you in West Palm (ROAR National track this year).
Old 09-23-2013, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
RM-01s are ran in parking lots,you have to get rid of the 1/12th mentally though. Not running super small tires is a big factor.
You say it you cant have scale bodies because of the suspension but that is completely wrong.
You can sit and wait for somebody to make things or you can run 1/12th TODAY.
Porsche 956
Kremer Porsche
Spice
Lotech
C100
Toyota
Mazda
Nissan
Jaguar

Just a few of the bodies you can get right now,you could be running this weekend instead of dreaming up a class that will not happen anytime soon.
Bakaguyjean, Excellent idea! You see I've been living in cave for the last twenty five years and didn't know 1/12 scale existed. Hey everybody, forget it, we're all going to run 1/12 scale if we want to race realistic looking GTP cars-Baka solved the issue for us!

Baka, please pardon my sarcasm, I mean no disrespect-just trying to bring some levity to the thread. Believe me I've thought about it-running 1/12 scale, but the nearest indoor track is over two hours away from me, and local club racing here in Satellite Beach appears to be going through hard times. Babkaguyjean, in all sincerity, thanks for your reply, Ed
Old 09-23-2013, 07:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Ed, not trying to beat a dead horse here, but Baka is right

Seriously

The RM series is perfectly suited to parking lots
Big spec tires, very forgiving chassis, and it's already got a TCS spec ruleset to follow, if needed
Kits come with wheels, tires, body, decals

There are so many 1s specific esc on the market, one doesn't need deal with boosters any longer

And, if that's still not an option, you can run any esc, w/life pack, and (included 380 motor) for very realistic speeds

I understand you've all got your hearts and minds set on 200/235
Just saying, you may want to at least smell the roses that have already been planted first

Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

Well, I'm game. I just want something good for our club to race.
Found some 12th scale threads. Gonna get an education.
Thanks All.

Last edited by rctrackman; 09-23-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ed Delgado
For getting body manufacturers to produce new products, they need to see a market and/or class for there to be enough demand. This is actually contrary to VTA and how it came about: first HPI made the bodies then came the class.
We need a body company to make a scale version of a GTP car to get the ball rolling. That is why I suggested Tamiya and the 962. And if they came out with a decent competitive 1/10 car-let's call it an RM-02, you might see a few new racers coming out or coming out of retirement. In the history of GTP and Group C, the 962 made up the majority of the racing fields. It's also my favorite and what I would like to race the most-that's why I would like to see it come first.
If one reason you are pushing this is to get Tamiya to make a scale 962 body for you, it just isn't going to happen. If you are waiting for a new LMP body from Tamiya then I would bet that if one does ever appear it will be the Toyota TS030 on the F1 chassis.

It's a minority racing class, so everyone will have to run the bodies that are already available, from RJ Speed, Colt, Mix or McAllister, or Protoform will just repull the Mulsanne and everyone will choose that. If a body manufacturer is going to make a body specifically for a racing class it will be more performance oriented every time, as that's how they sell them. I would think the most likely new bodies would be Gary McAllister making narrow versions of his Jaguar and Nissan.

Look at VTA. The HPI bodies aren't designed first and foremost for VTA, that's just a byproduct of them making scale bodies that appeal to on road bashers, and they made enough to satisfy the racing class as well. Now you have McAllister and Protoform making bodies for racing in the class with less detail, but the class had to grow pretty big and stick around for a few years before that happened.

With a touring car chassis in VTA you have 4wd, a lot more weight and a lot more tuning to get it to handle, and the relatively low speed means aero is not that important. Now look at WGT, being lightweight pan car chassis the body makes a lot of difference. The only way anyone is going to limit the class to good looking shells is to create a small list of bodies and stick to it, and come up with body rules that keep out the bodies you don't want.

If you just want to run a 1/10th 962 the best body available has to be the Chevron Dauer 962 which looks pretty good. If you want something more scale try and find somewhere that still has a Blade Racing BL962, but it was only produced in 2010. Or choose whichever body has the best looking front half, cut off the rear kickup and make your own rear deck from sheet lexan, after all the scale and drift fans have been modifying bodies to be more scale for years.

How about seeing what Speed Passion are going to come up with for their LM-F, although they will be running modern bodies it is likely to be exactly what you want. Scale looking LMP cars, albeit modern ones, with what is likely to be a unique size chassis so restricting what can run to the Speed Passion bodies. They are even planning a RTR version for spec racing.

There has been a similar class to this running in Eastern Europe for a few years. As they are supposed to be endurance cars, they run two qualifying sessions, then everyone runs in four 15 minute finals with your final result being the total number of laps in all finals added together. www.rc2wd.cz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.