Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Modern 4WD Touring Car Top Speeds? Mod vs Stock w/Turbo? >

Modern 4WD Touring Car Top Speeds? Mod vs Stock w/Turbo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Modern 4WD Touring Car Top Speeds? Mod vs Stock w/Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Modern 4WD Touring Car Top Speeds? Mod vs Stock w/Turbo?

I'm not talking about doing top speed runs all day, but with a normal racing setup, if you let er rip for a couple of seconds until it hits top speed, how fast are we talking when properly geared for normal track driving? (in MPH)

Open Modified 3.5/4.5 motor?

Pro Stock 10.5 with turbo?

Super Stock 13.5 with turbo?

Stock 17.5 with turbo?

I'm just kind of trying to gauge the general driving WOW factor between a low-turn open Modified setup, vs a more economical Super Stock setup with a Turbo timing enabeled ESC. I don't race, but I'm trying to choose the best "bang-for-buck" power setup.

Does a 10.5 turn stock motor with turbo enabled, still have that "wow this thing is fast" feeling?

Or, is a low turn modified setup, so crazy fast that the power is relatively unusable at lower speeds, where most driving is?

Or, is a low turn modified setup, so much faster and much more fun to drive, that it's worth the extra money for a high end 100+ amp ESC?

I have driven offroad RC's for many many years, but have never even seen someone drive a modern touring car, to gauge what kind of speeds they get. Any help would be appreciated.

I just don't know if touring cars normally top out at 40 mph, or 80? Thanks!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a 13.5t with turbo, it reaches around 45mph geared moderately. The low end is controlable, but after 3/4 throttle its starts spooling up fast to its top speed

I'm using a speed passion 13.5t competiton v3 motor and a hobbywing xtreme stock esc btw
Old 08-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've never measured personally, but someone at our local track was practicing for TCS and was using a radar gun to check straight speeds for fun.

On our small carpet track, top speed for 17.5 blinky reached about 35mph on the short back straight.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks TB03Racer09, very good information. Is your posted top speed with any Turbo enabeled, and does turbo help much on top speed?

I am definately considering the Hobbywing Xtreme Stock with a Speed Passion 10.5 or 9.5 competition v3. Seems like a very nice powered combo for around the $100 mark.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks silencery. That gives me some idea of what a stock 17.5 blinky will do.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think 17.5 blinky touring cars run around 35mph or 45-50km/s.

on our outdoor track, the modified rubber tire cars werent even a second faster on average. in fact, some were slower lol. depends on the drivers.
top 17.5 blinky touring car laps were 12.5/12.6 averageing 13.0 at our annual outdoor trophy race with the modified cars dipping as low as 11.7 and averaging 12.1ish.

our nitro cars were running 11.2-11.5 average laps in the Amain with 12th scale hitting high 10's on occasion.
just gives an idea of track size/speed.

little addition for giggles.

the driver who did 11.7 in modified was running a fully done up 4.5 turn machine with top of the line everything. I finished 5th in the class running a 10.5T and used everything lol. my fastest lap was 11.9. quite a span down to the Bmain though. Many of the modified entrants could not match their 17.5 laptimes with the extra horsepower. some lost laps even.

but ill say for sure, nothing teaches you throttle control quicker than rubber tire modified. even high traction is almost no traction for the power those cars can put down lol.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Valk, just the type of info I was looking for.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

There's a huge difference in feel between a 5.5 and a 17.5 on a track. I recently put together a mod car after running 17.5 for about a year and oh my goodness, a 5.5 is very powerful. Just for comparisons, a 5.5 at quarter throttle is already about as fast as a full throttle 17.5.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hyujmn
There's a huge difference in feel between a 5.5 and a 17.5 on a track. I recently put together a mod car after running 17.5 for about a year and oh my goodness, a 5.5 is very powerful. Just for comparisons, a 5.5 at quarter throttle is already about as fast as a full throttle 17.5.
Wow, great comparison. That's kind of what I was thinking. The numbers also match that comparison, whereas a 17.5 motor has a max amp rating of only 16-20 amps, whereas a 5.5 motor is 65-70 amps. Guess you can feel that extra power eh? heh.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Absolutely. I'm still slower with my mod car overall just because I'm not nearly as consistent in mod.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

you can feel it in a straight line, but it wont help your car turn any better lol. 5.5 car has the same amount of available traction as the 17.5 car. always a compromise to be made somewhere. boost can really help a lot on the feel aspect. you can tune your throttle curve very nicely with esc boost to take some of the edge off a hot motor. of course, you can never use the throttle like a light switch like in stock.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:40 AM
Tech Elite

At this track earlier in the year for the UK nationals;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KoEHr_Wqjo

The fastest Open Mod was Elliott Harper at 68mph (I was only managing 62mph). We were almost all using 4.5's

The fastest 13.5 Boosted was 55mph which was exceptional, more commonly around 52mph etc. Just over 1s per lap difference between the classes.

When 17.5 blinky ran at the same track last year they were around 2s slower than 13.5 boosted.

As the tracks get smaller the gap between the classes shrinks.
Here [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMa8yUJZJSI

The gap is roughly 1s from 17.5 blinky to 13.5 boosted, then around 0.5s to Open Mod (top speed is roughly 45-48mph for 13.5 boosted and 53-55mph for Mod, haven't measured at all there this year)

As has been mentioned the difference is power delivery and how you can use it.

Skiddins
Old 08-09-2013, 01:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the "wow" factor also depends on the track size.
The 2012 Worlds track, without the chicane, gave Atsushi Hara the oppertunity to do a 117km/h top speed at the 2009 ETS, but it's a really big track.

On the same Worlds Track in Heemstede we do with a Stock (13,5T Blinky ETS Set-up) 70Km/h on the straight.

On my local track I race 10,5T boosted and it still gives people the 'wow' factor, but it's a small track. I've also finished on the nationals podium with a 10,5T motor against 4,5T and 5,5T motor's on small tracks. I had even faster laptimes like Valk display's.

Regards Robert
Old 08-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Fastest top speeds I've managed (measured via a data logger) are:

13.5 boosted = 57mph (in 2013)
10.5 boosted = 56mph (in 2011)

So that shows the rate of motor/ESC development over 2 years! I'm sure 10.5 boosted would now be pushing 60mph. These were both at the same track, which happens to be the lowest grip track in the UK. Because it's low grip you can set the motor/ESC up for a high top-speed, since low-speed acceleration just spins the wheels up.

I've been racing for decades and 13.5 boosted is plenty fast enough for me, while still being controllable through the tight stuff.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for posting the videos Skiddins, very nice comparison. The full mod cars are very impressive, but I'm very suprised at how fast the boosted stock cars are. I can barely tell the difference most of the time. They have plenty of low end, and the turbo timing really helps on the long straights.

Also, thanks for the info Robert K. That was exactly what I was looking for.

With all the great info all of you have posted, I have a complete idea of what to expect from the different power systems, when before I really had no idea how much the difference was in average speeds and handling characteristics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.