Search
Like Tree11Likes

Tamiya TB04 Pro

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Hi Guys.......

Just asking, Interested in going into RC again. My last kit was A TC3...very long time ago...
Need to know can the TB04 handle 13.5 with boost out of the box?? If not any advise?? Before I get the TB04...
Any advise is greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-20-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Do you plan to race or bash?

IMO if you build it as per manual with all the shims it can handle any mod motor, even with stock plastic gears. As I stated a couple of posts back, I coat all the first with Finishline Ceramic Dry Wax. After a season of racing in 17.5, they are still in perfect shape. I still have the reinfoced bevel and mitre gears in my spare box. Have not needed them yet. Only thing I changed was in the diff.. I'm running the ti coated cross pins with plastic gears
Old 12-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

I've made nearly every 19turn and 13.5 A- main at Reedy race of champions. I challenged myself this past Reedy by running this car at that race. Yes the car can handle a 13.5 motor. But it's just not as competitive at the highest level. I got smoked.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
I've made nearly every 19turn and 13.5 A- main at Reedy race of champions. I challenged myself this past Reedy by running this car at that race. Yes the car can handle a 13.5 motor. But it's just not as competitive at the highest level. I got smoked.
Did you ask Santa for a 419?
Old 12-21-2014, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Do you plan to race or bash?

IMO if you build it as per manual with all the shims it can handle any mod motor, even with stock plastic gears. As I stated a couple of posts back, I coat all the first with Finishline Ceramic Dry Wax. After a season of racing in 17.5, they are still in perfect shape. I still have the reinfoced bevel and mitre gears in my spare box. Have not needed them yet. Only thing I changed was in the diff.. I'm running the ti coated cross pins with plastic gears

Thanks for the reply

Planning to Race...over here the highest is 13.5 boosted.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Did you ask Santa for a 419?
Actually I decided to run the Top car this coming year. I had great success years ago when I raced often. Looking forward to 2015. I'm going to try and race more this year than I have the last (4) years combined
Old 12-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
I did the same thing, and was a second off of Juan.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey fellow tb04ers! Long time.

I have probably a dozen race days on my TB04 now. Running good grip indoor carpet. Proving very competitive vs. the latest carbon cars in USGT. Running in 3rd for our points races currently.

Initially I was battling with inconsistent handling and too much steering.

A few things I did that really made the handling come around:
-get all slop out of steering
-Hpi silver springs
-half sauce front tires
-started running a body with a proper rear wing

The car still feels like it has a bit too much steering, my lap times are not as close as I'd like (consistency), and its not as stable in fast turns as the other cars.

On my list to try: Hpi Pinks in front, more slop shimming (a-arms, knuckles), Thicker shock oil (running kit 400cst still), and tbevo5 gears.

Really like the car so far. She likes to break c hubs so have many spares.

Link to good info: http://www.thercracer.com/2014/07/ta...on-review.html
Old 12-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Tech Champion

Those HPI silver also helped me a lot. What suspension blocks are you running in front?

What are the spec tyres for USGT?
Old 12-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

has anyone tried drifting these yet? I hear that the motor layout is superior to other shaft drive chassis.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:47 AM
Tech Addict

Those HPI silver also helped me a lot. What suspension blocks are you running in front?

What are the spec tyres for USGT?
Im still running the kit A's. I notice a lot of setups go a little wider, like to C's on high grip carpet so I might have to give that a shot. Do you happen to know a part number for the basic plastic blocks or will I have to buy Alum ones?

The spec USGT tires are made by Gravity RC. Very good tires.

Another thing I want to try is to raise the rear roll center a bit at the lower blocks with 0.5 mm spacers.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Champion

To my knowledge there are no plastic suspension blocks other than basic ones that come with the kit.

I'm switched from A/A to C/C to slow the front steering down and it seemed to help. I'm still chasing rear grip at time but it has definitely improved with the HPI springs
Old 12-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

To my knowledge there are no plastic suspension blocks other than basic ones that come with the kit.

I'm switched from A/A to C/C to slow the front steering down and it seemed to help. I'm still chasing rear grip at time but it has definitely improved with the HPI springs
Do you run on carpet too Raman? It sounds like we are trying to fix the exact same handling issues.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Yes there are. Regular plastic and carbon reinforced. I have a bunch here.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I also recently built one of these to use in USGT. In many ways it exceeded expectations based on the low price I paid though I have found that as traction comes up the car starts to suffer from very inconsistent handling. I have a feeling this is made worse by a very soft chassis at the front end. I've picked up some optional springs and have gone heavier on damping so interested to see if this helps. Either way it was a fun build and a pretty neat car. Expecting somewhat equal performance against purpose built race chassis is a tall order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.