Wiki Posts
Search

ETS Round 6 - Hudy Racing Arena

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B00t13g
Going to a dot/ board track really seemed to help locally.
^^^I couldn't agree more. Al Sodano, Fairtrace and Hanulec all put together our Nats track and the dots were awesome. I was able to finish out the season with the same body which had minimal damage. We're looking to do something similar (if simplified) for the coming indoor season.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Williams
I will say, years ago, stock was considered a joke by the top racers. I know I raced mod a lot more often as a kid because that was where the competition and prestige was at--little turd bowl tracks included. You should've seen how small some of these tracks were. This has shifted in the USA over the years. I was surprised when I returned to R/C in 2004 that the spec classes were dominant.
Today's 17.5 is probably as fast as 2004's modified.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
It's a complex topic, a good discussion.
I always tell Adam (Syndr0me) he starts the best threads.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

I've been reading the 'Classes' debate with interest.
It's on ongoing discussion in the UK as well.
We currently have, effectively, three classes at most UK events now;
17.5 Blinky
13.5 Boosted
Open Mod

Modified always has the lowest entries, but this years 2 Day nationals (The main BRCA events) have had 50 in open Mod (the 2 day events also have the 13.5 boosted support class)

There is also the 1 day 'BRCA Clubman's' which is arguably the next tier down, which has 13.5 boosted and 17.5 blinky.

All the carpet race series revolve around 1 or more of these.
There are other race series who sometimes include Mini's etc to help with numbers, but very rarely.

It's VERY rare that 1/12 features at the same events

I think we currently have it just right, although one of the top BRCA guys thinks perhaps 21.5 blinky or similar should at the Clubmans, perhaps instead of 13.5 boosted.

We've had quite a few drivers step up to Open Mod this year, and the fact they they keep coming back seems to suggest that they aren't struggling as much as they thought they would.
I've personally found it great fun and it certainly finds any weaknesses in your setup.
The blinky guys keep saying that it's all about corner speed and accurate lines, as if boosted and Mod involves randomly driving from corner to corner
When the reasonably good Mod drivers drop down to the boosted class (they NEVER drop to blinky), they always come near the front, if not winning.
If people enjoy blinky, that's great, but they shouldn't expect great amounts of kudos for doing it. It's always easier to drive consistently with no power, but once people have some experience under their belts, I think Mod teaches more about self control and good setup than the 'road train' that blinky always looks like.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Lord

Mod sounds a bit more interesting with Sorex on a 150x50 track with dots.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Meh. More like late 80s/early 90s mod (when I raced as a kid) is similar to 17.5T today.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Mod sounds a bit more interesting with Sorex on a 150x50 track with dots.
Okay, now you're coming around...

I too enjoy the sound of that. :-)
Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Tech Lord

Meh. More like late 80s/early 90s mod (when I raced as a kid) is similar to 17.5T today.
Perhaps, but part of what makes mod so difficult is the torque, which translates to infield rip. brushed motors never ripped like today's brushless. It's why nobody complains about speed in nitro. It feels like a kitten everywhere but the straight.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

you are right, but the most non clubraces have ride as controlled tyres.
BTW all the whining about the size of European tracks makes me sick, to be honest.
The most tracks in Germany when not in europe are clubs, which are opens only on the weekend's. The most carpet tracks eaven not permanent, they are build on a Baskedball field or in a schools gym.
That is what I love here in the US is I can go to the track any given day in the week.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

^^^I couldn't agree more. Al Sodano, Fairtrace and Hanulec all put together our Nats track and the dots were awesome. I was able to finish out the season with the same body which had minimal damage. We're looking to do something similar (if simplified) for the coming indoor season.
I also think this an important and critical point.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Only way to properly compare is for someone to set up a brushed mod motor of yesteryear and run head to head with a 17.5 ( on a variety of track sizes ) or we will never have the data needed to compare.
Someone at our club tried ( unsuccessfully ) to prove using some video shot years ago of mod ( national event ) and tried to compare it to 13.5 of today. Not even close in my eyes but he was hell bent on making stock slower, so he tried to convince himself it was the same.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Only one thing really bugs me about this ongoning mod vs. stock discusion is that is only happen in onroad. In offroad there a lot more mod racers and they respect each other insted of fighting.
BTW a 2wd buggy is almost uncontrollable with a 6.5 and there still a lot of clubracers running it.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez
I also think this an important and critical point.
Jamie, don't you think that the Horsham dots-style layout made mod much more conceivable? You stepped up to mod in 1/12 for the Nats if I remember correctly.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Perhaps, but part of what makes mod so difficult is the torque, which translates to infield rip. brushed motors never ripped like today's brushless. It's why nobody complains about speed in nitro. It feels like a kitten everywhere but the straight.

1/8 onroad with a monster clutch is a handful. Better analogy...driving a car with a little turbo lag. Once it hits you can leave 20ft black marks off the apex.

Distance apex to apex is so much longer on nitro tracks you have more time to process your movements. Blinky on 250x100 track is like watching paint dry....

What the horsham crew put together for the nats was fantastic. If more tracks followed this format you would see more average joes running mod.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Only way to properly compare is for someone to set up a brushed mod motor of yesteryear and run head to head with a 17.5 ( on a variety of track sizes ) or we will never have the data needed to compare.
I'll try to make this comperation this week or next. My son and I have the same cars and we are run at abou the same speed. I'll still own a couple hot brushed motors.
Lets see the outcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.