Wiki Posts
Search

Ultrasonic cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default Ultrasonic cleaners

Anyone use one? I've been considering getting one. I go through all my cars regularly to clean them. I was thinking it would be good for getting diffs clean and shock internals for when I do complete tear downs vs just fluid changes. Also for cleaning all the screws in my offroad vehicles.

I was looking at the small one they sell at harbor freight but didn't know if there something else I should look at.

There are a lot of other things I can think of other than RC related stuff I could use it on. But I don't want to spend too much on it.

The harbor freight one is like $30. I think I'd prefer one that was heated though. http://www.harborfreight.com/ultraso...aner-3305.html
Old 07-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I use a ultra sonic denture claener to clean and lube my bearings you would be surprised how much fine powderey black material is come out of the bearings. They spin very freely. In the old days I would clean the bearing and soak them in TRI flow and bake them at 150* for 2 hours to give them a teflon coating they would spin like crazy. Now I'm lazy I just clean them every 3-4 race days or before a big race!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vivo quevas
I use a ultra sonic denture claener to clean and lube my bearings you would be surprised how much fine powderey black material is come out of the bearings. They spin very freely. In the old days I would clean the bearing and soak them in TRI flow and bake them at 150* for 2 hours to give them a teflon coating they would spin like crazy. Now I'm lazy I just clean them every 3-4 race days or before a big race!
What do you use for a cleaning solution?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

WD40
Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

How much of the WD40 you put in to the ultrasonic cleaner?
My question is you make a solution of WD40 and water or you use only WD40?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by silden
How much of the WD40 you put in to the ultrasonic cleaner?
My question is you make a solution of WD40 and water or you use only WD40?
Wd40 and water dont mix. WD stands for water displacement.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

I put 3/8"-1/2" of WD40 cover the beaings completely . Why I went with WD40 is because it would not hurt the bearings or the seals or the Ultra sonic cleaner mine is 20 years old. WD40 is thin cheap and it lubes the balls and all the metal surfaces. It really cleans the bearings out well it removes that gritty feel the bearings get from racing outdoors. It also displaces any moisture that would lessen the bearing life. I use it on new bearings to get the assembly grease out of the bearings and they spin forever after cleaning in comparison to bearings filled with grease.
Change the WD40 solution after every cleaning and clean the the grit out by spraying it clean with WD40! I hope this helps.