2013 LAS VEGAS INTERNATIONAL INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS "IIC" W/SCOTTY ERNST

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

good luck everyone, wish i was there with ya
Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Tech Addict

I've never understood how lipo's and indoor hotel races worked out. Las Vegas has some of the strictest fire regulations in the country and I don't see the conference centers and hotels liking the idea of lipo charging being inside.

I use to work in all the conference centers here in Vegas and anytime there was work with chance of open flame you had to have someone stand next to you on fire watch holding an extinguisher just in case something happens. Ever since the MGM fire (now Bally's) back 1980 that killed 85 people the fire codes are insanely strict.

I assume they're not in the "know" of lipo's, rc racing and the higher amps onroad racers throw at them. Hate to say it but my gut tells me that charging lipo's inside these places will be short lived once they catch on to the potential of lipo fires regardless of the care taken by racers.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wishing everybody a fun and safe time. Especially the F1 racers out there. Show them how it's done!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VegasHB
I've never understood how lipo's and indoor hotel races worked out. Las Vegas has some of the strictest fire regulations in the country and I don't see the conference centers and hotels liking the idea of lipo charging being inside.

I use to work in all the conference centers here in Vegas and anytime there was work with chance of open flame you had to have someone stand next to you on fire watch holding an extinguisher just in case something happens. Ever since the MGM fire (now Bally's) back 1980 that killed 85 people the fire codes are insanely strict.

I assume they're not in the "know" of lipo's, rc racing and the higher amps onroad racers throw at them. Hate to say it but my gut tells me that charging lipo's inside these places will be short lived once they catch on to the potential of lipo fires regardless of the care taken by racers.
this is why strict use of lipo bags has been put into place, along with the10 amp charge limit.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Fix liverc please
Old 10-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nice to know there is a 10A charge limit..... No more equipment advantage ...lol... Let's hope everybody charges at 10A max in a sealed Racing room !!! Lol... Competition will be tighter this year for sure......
Old 10-08-2013, 10:24 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Per the sheet we all signed, it was raised to 14A for the charge rate.

The lipo sack in question worked quite well. yes there was smoke and some flame from the bag edges, but overall besides for a scorch on the table there was little actual damage.

I am curious when at the beginning of races there will be a fire safety briefing and discussion on how to properly handle and safe a lipo fire. There was some confusion... do you pour the sand on the fire? do you drop the flaming lipo into the sand? where do you take the flaming wreckage?

Overall I think the attentiveness everyone is showing at IIC in regards to LiPo safety is great.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Meet and Greet was pretty cool tonite
All sorts of new stuff

SpeedMerchant has a new 235 pan car, based on a WGT3.5 spec

Protoform had a new Mazda 6 body

CRC had all kinds of stuff, including a new CRC F1 car !
And 3 new bodies from BlackArt, WGT, and 2 new LM Prototype 12th bodies

But one of the coolest things I saw is this new 1s/Shorty lipo bag from Bill Jeric of Tuning Haus
I'm a sucker for sweet packaging

Check out all the pics at Cambergain.com

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 10-08-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: cambergain.com
Old 10-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ground-round
Well, the pits were open at 11 and we had our first Lipo fire before noon. Not sure what charger it was, but the dude was following the rules and had his stick in a Lipo sack so beyone the flash of flames that shot out of the bag, and the lingering smell in the ballroom, as was well.

You never saw Scotty Ernst run so fast as to get that lipo sack out the back door of the ballroom. All the time yelling "already?!"
The charger was a Hitec 4 port. I think it only goes upto 8 amps. The fire or better said smoke was on the table behind me. As soon as I heard the word fire fire and turned around to see the smoke I ran to the end of the table where the sand bucket was. Well someone had already taken it to the mishap and was dropping in the carnage. Scotty put a second bucket in the first bucket and ran outside with it. The smoke was quick to catch attention but dispersed quickly too. Smooth sailing for everyone from there on out.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

The Hitec X4 only charges at 6amps.

Originally Posted by VegasHB

Lipo's are as safe as you make them. I have NEVER had a single issue with one. And I charge at 15 amps fairly regularly. But stuff happens. Cell phones and laptops have been known to burst into flames from the lipo's they contain. Should those not be charged indoors?

Sounds like Scotty has taken every necessary measure to ensure everyones safety.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

pictures

http://www.rc50.com/thumbnails.php?album=3
Old 10-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Whatever Juho's car is. Whether A TC7 or a conversion, looks fantastic!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Thanks for the pics Nashrcracer!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
The Hitec X4 only charges at 6amps.

Lipo's are as safe as you make them. I have NEVER had a single issue with one. And I charge at 15 amps fairly regularly. But stuff happens. Cell phones and laptops have been known to burst into flames from the lipo's they contain. Should those not be charged indoors?

Sounds like Scotty has taken every necessary measure to ensure everyones safety.
I didn't say it was the X4. Hitec has another 4 port with more features than the X4. I just don't know the model number.

I never saw the battery but I thought someone mentioned it was a q cell Turnigy.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Whatever Juho's car is. Whether A TC7 or a conversion, looks fantastic!!!
Been waiting to see pictures of the new car myself, since I heard about it a few weeks ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.