Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F201

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 05:03 PM
Tech Addict

OSherman,
I wouldn't wanna go to a Williams body kit, you have to set up the front way too hard for it to work, lessons learned in 2 marginal qualifers. When I went back to my F2001 body kit the car felt and looked dialed. The back end was planted, and I was able to be on power through out the sweeper. With the Williams body the back end would rotate around alot. My 2nd qualifer, I was frustrated with the way the car handled the sweeper, feathering the throttle and at times catching the backend with time-consuming saves in the middle of the sweeper. It was a far cry from the Saturday practice, when it was hooked up and dialed. My advice stick to the F2001 or Type-A body kit.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:08 PM
Tech Addict

If your running within TCS rules you can use anything in the tires
Old 08-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TCS allow to use any inserts to be used??
EDIT: juz read tamiya usa... they do allow non tamiya inserts... but i still wanna try out some tamiya inserts... btw im from asia not the us

Btw how do u guys set the front to have more droop?? remove the stabilizer bar? wat if i still want to use the stabilizer bar but want more droop, how can i achieve tat?

the thing is i want more on-power steering.... suggestion(s) are welcome...

thanx

Last edited by ozone; 08-25-2003 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: inserts for tamiya type A tires

Originally posted by rc-zombies
only 1 type of insert come with the type A tires.
i noe... i was lookin at the m-chassis inserts... i hav a inserts tat works/feels great but its non-tamiya
Old 08-25-2003, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by ozone
TCS allow to use any inserts to be used??
EDIT: juz read tamiya usa... they do allow non tamiya inserts... but i still wanna try out some tamiya inserts... btw im from asia not the us

Btw how do u guys set the front to have more droop?? remove the stabilizer bar? wat if i still want to use the stabilizer bar but want more droop, how can i achieve tat?

the thing is i want more on-power steering.... suggestion(s) are welcome...

thanx
The inserts are open, but only Tamiya parts can be used. I perceive that as other Tamiya inserts.

If you are from Asia, then you should look at the rules governing the car for your regional area.

If you want more droop, you will need to remove the stabilizer bar and lengthen the pushrods.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

RCInfinity: thanx
Old 08-26-2003, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

No problem Ozone, how is the racing where you are at?
Old 08-26-2003, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

Neil, take a read of this.

Personally, I don't think that aero is significant for the speeds that the 201 sees on a standard track. The boundary layer should have a questionable effect on aero, since its size only determines the distance from the surface of the object in question at which the air molecules are moving (or being moved, depending on how you view it) at their "normal" rate - the dominating factor in aero is the DIFFERENCE in air flow about an object (e.g., over and under), not so much the speed of the air itself. I think that for aero to be significant to the same degree with which it is significant in full-scale F1, the bodies would have to have much more frontal surface area. Full-scale F1 cars are obviousy bigger and thus have larger frontal surface area, and aero for them starts to kick in at speeds that are pretty large compared to r/c cars. Now take an r/c car with less frontal surface area, and make it run slower than a full-scale F1 car, and you can clearly see that the effect of aero is much-diminished. Though of course r/c cars are much lighter, and hence more sensitive to changes in aero, the actual degree to which it takes place is questionable during normal racing, which leads us back to the point of simply running a test.

As for the test itself, all I can say is take caution. If you're looking for difference in "feel," then you can easily fool yourself into thinking that one body feels different from the other, when they may in fact be the same. If you're looking for difference in "top speed," you have to be very careful in your measurements, as the noise generated by factors like varying cell voltage values per charge, mechanical wear/friction of the motor per run, tire traction, etc. may well overshadow the result that you think you're "measuring." This is called statistics A more useful method would be to place the car on a semi-sensitive scale and blow air of some known speed in front of the car (sort of like a wind tunnel). The change in weight that the scale sees as a function of wind speed should tell you for sure whether or not there is a significant difference between bodies and wings; however, even though the air is being blown across the scale, you must be sure to account for any air that might blow directly down on the scale (hence pushing it down, resulting in more "weight" than there should be) - air doesn't move perfectly straight, as you might imagine, and so some of the air may well have this effect. This accounting is simple, though - blow the air across the scale as it is empty and look for any change in the scale reading.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

RCInfinity: my area (Singapore), the f201 scene is not very good, not much drivers... we juz completed our tamiya series... i came in 2nd, the guy who won the f201 class cant make it to Thailand (Asia Qualifying - for the elusive 'Ticket to JAPAN') cos he gotta tend his shop (shop/track owner where the series was held)... lucky me

the rules we used for our series were:
- only tamiya stock motor allowed (sport tune, type T/S/R/RR)
- tamiya tires (we only have type A here )
- the rest pretty much tamiya std
Old 08-26-2003, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by gtypecanare
Neil, take a read of this.

Personally, I don't think that aero is significant for the speeds that the 201 sees on a standard track. The boundary layer should have a questionable effect on aero, since its size only determines the distance from the surface of the object in question at which the air molecules are moving (or being moved, depending on how you view it) at their "normal" rate - the dominating factor in aero is the DIFFERENCE in air flow about an object (e.g., over and under), not so much the speed of the air itself. I think that for aero to be significant to the same degree with which it is significant in full-scale F1, the bodies would have to have much more frontal surface area. Full-scale F1 cars are obviousy bigger and thus have larger frontal surface area, and aero for them starts to kick in at speeds that are pretty large compared to r/c cars. Now take an r/c car with less frontal surface area, and make it run slower than a full-scale F1 car, and you can clearly see that the effect of aero is much-diminished. Though of course r/c cars are much lighter, and hence more sensitive to changes in aero, the actual degree to which it takes place is questionable during normal racing, which leads us back to the point of simply running a test.

As for the test itself, all I can say is take caution. If you're looking for difference in "feel," then you can easily fool yourself into thinking that one body feels different from the other, when they may in fact be the same. If you're looking for difference in "top speed," you have to be very careful in your measurements, as the noise generated by factors like varying cell voltage values per charge, mechanical wear/friction of the motor per run, tire traction, etc. may well overshadow the result that you think you're "measuring." This is called statistics A more useful method would be to place the car on a semi-sensitive scale and blow air of some known speed in front of the car (sort of like a wind tunnel). The change in weight that the scale sees as a function of wind speed should tell you for sure whether or not there is a significant difference between bodies and wings; however, even though the air is being blown across the scale, you must be sure to account for any air that might blow directly down on the scale (hence pushing it down, resulting in more "weight" than there should be) - air doesn't move perfectly straight, as you might imagine, and so some of the air may well have this effect. This accounting is simple, though - blow the air across the scale as it is empty and look for any change in the scale reading.
George, where did you get this from? Aeronautical Engineering testbook?
Old 08-26-2003, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

RCInfinity: my area (Singapore), the f201 scene is not very good, not much drivers... we juz completed our tamiya series... i came in 2nd, the guy who won the f201 class cant make it to Thailand (Asia Qualifying - for the elusive 'Ticket to JAPAN') cos he gotta tend his shop (shop/track owner where the series was held)... lucky me

Are you allowed to run type b if you got a hold of some?
Old 08-26-2003, 11:40 PM
Tech Addict

Some guy posted on the Formula1-RC site about this discussion about the body types, and congrats on your win. I just talked to Rod about the 23T experiment, interesting
Old 08-26-2003, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Yes it was. We need to do more testing on brush and spring combinations. I asked Dave on the 23T thread for some help, hopefully he will have suggestions.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by RCInfinity
Are you allowed to run type b if you got a hold of some?
yup... definately... i guess u must b using the Bs... how is it compared wif type A? Using stock inserts??
Old 08-27-2003, 03:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hi ozone, i just joint the F201 family and hit my car on the Nacos track ! i am not a racer, but we can still meet sometime and play one of my friend also joint this class and play with me last Sat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.