R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   1/10th scale dying? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/720247-1-10th-scale-dying.html)

nitrous36 04-07-2013 06:53 PM

1/10th scale dying?

It seems 1:10 scale is only popular in the on road world with touring cars, but has faded away in the off road world with the death of stadium trucks and the popularity of 1/8 buggys, or the 1/8 to 1/5 scale shortcourse trucks. It seems that offroad prefer the larger scales, and onroad, with the exception of touring cars, prefer the smaller scales with 1/12th(coming back) and the increasing popularity 1/18 and 1/24 mini's.

As a late 90s/early 00s RC guy, I remember when 10th scale was the standard across the board. And now it seems its going away(across the board) in favor of the larger and smaller scales. One time 10th scale was like the godilocks of sizes, it was just right. The perfect compromise, not too big and not too small. Maybe as someone who's been into RC since the late 90s Im biased and would hate to see it go away.

Whats your opinion of this? Curious to hear others views and what they think. Can someone put me in the know? Is 10th scale dying? Or has it already come and gone?

mkiiina 04-07-2013 08:00 PM

Must be your area. 1/10 scale is going strong (and the sct's are 1/10 btw). Here there doesn't seem to be a place to run/race 1/5 scale and there are 3 places to run 1/10 scale and 1/8 scale.

We have 1 place for on-road and while vta and sedan always make a class 1/10 pan car in for form of F1 and WGT.

nitrous36 04-07-2013 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by mkiiina (Post 12020822)
Must be your area. 1/10 scale is going strong (and the sct's are 1/10 btw). Here there doesn't seem to be a place to run/race 1/5 scale and there are 3 places to run 1/10 scale and 1/8 scale.

We have 1 place for on-road and while vta and sedan always make a class 1/10 pan car in for form of F1 and WGT.

Yeah I considered that. In my area 1/8th offroad is popular. 8th scale buggy and SCT is king.

Edit to add: I love offroad, but I wish onroad was equally as popular in my area.

pablo040 04-07-2013 08:58 PM

Not sure where you're racing offroad, but with few exceptions I've never been anywhere in recent years that 1/8th scale outdrew 1/10th scale. Especially since the advent of BL motors and LiPO batteries, where even nitro guys have converted over to 1/8th E-cars, 1/10th scale is always been more popular.

orcadigital 04-08-2013 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by pablo040 (Post 12021068)
Not sure where you're racing offroad, but with few exceptions I've never been anywhere in recent years that 1/8th scale outdrew 1/10th scale. Especially since the advent of BL motors and LiPO batteries, where even nitro guys have converted over to 1/8th E-cars, 1/10th scale is always been more popular.

Not sure where the OP is, but in GA, 10th scale offroad is definitely declining. Most of our offroad tracks are 1/8th scale and the 10th scales just don't do as well, handling, jumping, or durability.

1st series race started this past weekend (I was attending an onroad race and missed it). They had 94 entries. Breakdown as follows:

1/8th E-Buggy: 23
1/8th Pro Buggy: 12
1/8th Pro Truggy: 17
1/8th Sportsman Buggy: 23
2WD Buggy: 6
2WD SCT: 9
4WD SCT: 4
Total: 94

I think as costs of 10th scales have increased, it has minimized the disparity between the sizes. Add in the durability, and tracks that are built for the larger vehicles, and it makes a bigger draw. State offroad series starts in a couple weeks and we will see how it goes. I will be running 1/8th ebuggy and possibly 2wd 1/10th buggy.

1/10th scale onroad still seems strong as ever though. Maybe not in pan cars, but touring cars are still ripping and roaring out here between VTA and TC.

xinumaster 04-08-2013 11:19 AM

I know ppl are converting their 1/10 to 1/8.

pablo040 04-08-2013 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by orcadigital (Post 12022423)
Not sure where the OP is, but in GA, 10th scale offroad is definitely declining. Most of our offroad tracks are 1/8th scale and the 10th scales just don't do as well, handling, jumping, or durability.

I think as costs of 10th scales have increased, it has minimized the disparity between the sizes. Add in the durability, and tracks that are built for the larger vehicles, and it makes a bigger draw. State offroad series starts in a couple weeks and we will see how it goes. I will be running 1/8th ebuggy and possibly 2wd 1/10th buggy.

1/10th scale onroad still seems strong as ever though. Maybe not in pan cars, but touring cars are still ripping and roaring out here between VTA and TC.

Of course, 1/10th isn't going to have as big a draw to 1/8th scale tracks. Never been that way, never will.
We still get more 1/10th than 1/8th, as we have both size tracks.

I tend to think it depends on the market, and thus where you're racing.
Some places oval is king, some places off-road is it, and there are niches where on-road is what everybody does. It just depends............

orcadigital 04-08-2013 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by pablo040 (Post 12023162)
Of course, 1/10th isn't going to have as big a draw to 1/8th scale tracks. Never been that way, never will.
We still get more 1/10th than 1/8th, as we have both size tracks.

I tend to think it depends on the market, and thus where you're racing.
Some places oval is king, some places off-road is it, and there are niches where on-road is what everybody does. It just depends............

Sort of a chicken/egg scenerio. The tracks in theory are built to support what is raced and people race what the tracks support.

brett309 04-15-2013 04:15 AM

It all depends upon the location where you live but as far as 1/10th scale is concerned there are new generation road running RC cars based on popular and durable on road electric powered RC cars. Which are guaranteed to have thrilling experience of driving .

EricW 04-15-2013 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by nitrous36 (Post 12020521)
It seems 1:10 scale is only popular in the on road world with touring cars, but has faded away in the off road world with the death of stadium trucks and the popularity of 1/8 buggys, or the 1/8 to 1/5 scale shortcourse trucks. It seems that offroad prefer the larger scales, and onroad, with the exception of touring cars, prefer the smaller scales with 1/12th(coming back) and the increasing popularity 1/18 and 1/24 mini's.

As a late 90s/early 00s RC guy, I remember when 10th scale was the standard across the board. And now it seems its going away(across the board) in favor of the larger and smaller scales. One time 10th scale was like the godilocks of sizes, it was just right. The perfect compromise, not too big and not too small. Maybe as someone who's been into RC since the late 90s Im biased and would hate to see it go away.

Whats your opinion of this? Curious to hear others views and what they think. Can someone put me in the know? Is 10th scale dying? Or has it already come and gone?

Wow, you’ve explained the exact opposite to the situation where I live. 1/10th off-road is the biggest class by far, both buggy and shortbus. There isn’t a place within an hour of where I live to race on-road of any type. If you want to race on-road don’t move to CT, you’ll be sorely disappointed.

EricW 04-15-2013 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by xinumaster (Post 12023127)
I know ppl are converting their 1/10 to 1/8.

Convert 1/10 to 1/8? How does one do that?

tc3team 04-15-2013 07:00 AM

It's all region dependant imo.

Also, if you have only ever raced one class, you might feel the issue has been highlighted to you more than, say if you raced a lot of different classes and not paid so much attention.

For me, 1/10th touring car at my local club has been steady. Usually, the same faces every time I race, with a few newcomers turning up now and then :nod::tire:

PirateRN 04-15-2013 07:20 AM

It really does depend on location. In my area, we have 1 off-road indoor and 1 on-road outdoor track. The outdoor track runs Euro style off-road too (wooden jumps with carpet). Everything is 1/10. The on-road track runs nitro touring, electric touring, vta, etc. and gets decent turnouts. The indoor track gets good turnouts too. Both places are getting new racers and some that have been out of rc for awhile. I hope both tracks keep growing.

nitrous36 04-15-2013 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by EricW (Post 12047660)
Wow, you’ve explained the exact opposite to the situation where I live. 1/10th off-road is the biggest class by far, both buggy and shortbus. There isn’t a place within an hour of where I live to race on-road of any type. If you want to race on-road don’t move to CT, you’ll be sorely disappointed.

The same for NC. Offroad is dominant. The only place(I know of) now, that has an onroad TC class in the eastern part of the state(probably the whole state) is an hour and a half away from me.

And TC3team is right, it depends on the region. Ive noticed that RC in general is especially big on the west coast, with offroad and onroad being equally as popular. In the south its mostly offroad, probably because(obvious stereotypes) trucks, lifts and offroading are very popular. So naturally it would translate to the RC world Im guessing. From what Ive seen, offroad is popular up north as well, but they seem to also support the onroad classes a good deal more than Ive seen in the south.

HollywoodRC 04-15-2013 10:12 PM

1/10th Scale

I guess it depends where you live. In Texas the largest classes at the track I race at has SCB, SC, and ST as the largest classes. All 2WD 1/10th scale. There are also a large number of 4WD SC as well. Yes, 1/8th buggies have a big class. All these cars are electric.
Cheers