R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Regional Moderator
 
nitrous36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 1,030
Default 1/10th scale dying?

It seems 1:10 scale is only popular in the on road world with touring cars, but has faded away in the off road world with the death of stadium trucks and the popularity of 1/8 buggys, or the 1/8 to 1/5 scale shortcourse trucks. It seems that offroad prefer the larger scales, and onroad, with the exception of touring cars, prefer the smaller scales with 1/12th(coming back) and the increasing popularity 1/18 and 1/24 mini's.

As a late 90s/early 00s RC guy, I remember when 10th scale was the standard across the board. And now it seems its going away(across the board) in favor of the larger and smaller scales. One time 10th scale was like the godilocks of sizes, it was just right. The perfect compromise, not too big and not too small. Maybe as someone who's been into RC since the late 90s Im biased and would hate to see it go away.

Whats your opinion of this? Curious to hear others views and what they think. Can someone put me in the know? Is 10th scale dying? Or has it already come and gone?
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
mkiiina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Frisco TX
Posts: 2,337
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default

Must be your area. 1/10 scale is going strong (and the sct's are 1/10 btw). Here there doesn't seem to be a place to run/race 1/5 scale and there are 3 places to run 1/10 scale and 1/8 scale.

We have 1 place for on-road and while vta and sedan always make a class 1/10 pan car in for form of F1 and WGT.
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Regional Moderator
 
nitrous36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 1,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post
Must be your area. 1/10 scale is going strong (and the sct's are 1/10 btw). Here there doesn't seem to be a place to run/race 1/5 scale and there are 3 places to run 1/10 scale and 1/8 scale.

We have 1 place for on-road and while vta and sedan always make a class 1/10 pan car in for form of F1 and WGT.
Yeah I considered that. In my area 1/8th offroad is popular. 8th scale buggy and SCT is king.

Edit to add: I love offroad, but I wish onroad was equally as popular in my area.
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 534
Default

Not sure where you're racing offroad, but with few exceptions I've never been anywhere in recent years that 1/8th scale outdrew 1/10th scale. Especially since the advent of BL motors and LiPO batteries, where even nitro guys have converted over to 1/8th E-cars, 1/10th scale is always been more popular.
pablo040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo040 View Post
Not sure where you're racing offroad, but with few exceptions I've never been anywhere in recent years that 1/8th scale outdrew 1/10th scale. Especially since the advent of BL motors and LiPO batteries, where even nitro guys have converted over to 1/8th E-cars, 1/10th scale is always been more popular.
Not sure where the OP is, but in GA, 10th scale offroad is definitely declining. Most of our offroad tracks are 1/8th scale and the 10th scales just don't do as well, handling, jumping, or durability.

1st series race started this past weekend (I was attending an onroad race and missed it). They had 94 entries. Breakdown as follows:

1/8th E-Buggy: 23
1/8th Pro Buggy: 12
1/8th Pro Truggy: 17
1/8th Sportsman Buggy: 23
2WD Buggy: 6
2WD SCT: 9
4WD SCT: 4
Total: 94

I think as costs of 10th scales have increased, it has minimized the disparity between the sizes. Add in the durability, and tracks that are built for the larger vehicles, and it makes a bigger draw. State offroad series starts in a couple weeks and we will see how it goes. I will be running 1/8th ebuggy and possibly 2wd 1/10th buggy.

1/10th scale onroad still seems strong as ever though. Maybe not in pan cars, but touring cars are still ripping and roaring out here between VTA and TC.
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I know ppl are converting their 1/10 to 1/8.
xinumaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
Not sure where the OP is, but in GA, 10th scale offroad is definitely declining. Most of our offroad tracks are 1/8th scale and the 10th scales just don't do as well, handling, jumping, or durability.

I think as costs of 10th scales have increased, it has minimized the disparity between the sizes. Add in the durability, and tracks that are built for the larger vehicles, and it makes a bigger draw. State offroad series starts in a couple weeks and we will see how it goes. I will be running 1/8th ebuggy and possibly 2wd 1/10th buggy.

1/10th scale onroad still seems strong as ever though. Maybe not in pan cars, but touring cars are still ripping and roaring out here between VTA and TC.
Of course, 1/10th isn't going to have as big a draw to 1/8th scale tracks. Never been that way, never will.
We still get more 1/10th than 1/8th, as we have both size tracks.

I tend to think it depends on the market, and thus where you're racing.
Some places oval is king, some places off-road is it, and there are niches where on-road is what everybody does. It just depends............
pablo040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo040 View Post
Of course, 1/10th isn't going to have as big a draw to 1/8th scale tracks. Never been that way, never will.
We still get more 1/10th than 1/8th, as we have both size tracks.

I tend to think it depends on the market, and thus where you're racing.
Some places oval is king, some places off-road is it, and there are niches where on-road is what everybody does. It just depends............
Sort of a chicken/egg scenerio. The tracks in theory are built to support what is raced and people race what the tracks support.
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:15 AM   #9
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 35
Default

It all depends upon the location where you live but as far as 1/10th scale is concerned there are new generation road running RC cars based on popular and durable on road electric powered RC cars. Which are guaranteed to have thrilling experience of driving .
brett309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
Tech Master
 
EricW's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Meriden, Ct
Posts: 1,882
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36 View Post
It seems 1:10 scale is only popular in the on road world with touring cars, but has faded away in the off road world with the death of stadium trucks and the popularity of 1/8 buggys, or the 1/8 to 1/5 scale shortcourse trucks. It seems that offroad prefer the larger scales, and onroad, with the exception of touring cars, prefer the smaller scales with 1/12th(coming back) and the increasing popularity 1/18 and 1/24 mini's.

As a late 90s/early 00s RC guy, I remember when 10th scale was the standard across the board. And now it seems its going away(across the board) in favor of the larger and smaller scales. One time 10th scale was like the godilocks of sizes, it was just right. The perfect compromise, not too big and not too small. Maybe as someone who's been into RC since the late 90s Im biased and would hate to see it go away.

Whats your opinion of this? Curious to hear others views and what they think. Can someone put me in the know? Is 10th scale dying? Or has it already come and gone?
Wow, youíve explained the exact opposite to the situation where I live. 1/10th off-road is the biggest class by far, both buggy and shortbus. There isnít a place within an hour of where I live to race on-road of any type. If you want to race on-road donít move to CT, youíll be sorely disappointed.
__________________
Stickas are for straight up suckas......

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
Tech Master
 
EricW's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Meriden, Ct
Posts: 1,882
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinumaster View Post
I know ppl are converting their 1/10 to 1/8.
Convert 1/10 to 1/8? How does one do that?
__________________
Stickas are for straight up suckas......

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36 View Post
It seems 1:10 scale is only popular in the on road world with touring cars, but has faded away in the off road world with the death of stadium trucks and the popularity of 1/8 buggys, or the 1/8 to 1/5 scale shortcourse trucks. It seems that offroad prefer the larger scales, and onroad, with the exception of touring cars, prefer the smaller scales with 1/12th(coming back) and the increasing popularity 1/18 and 1/24 mini's.

As a late 90s/early 00s RC guy, I remember when 10th scale was the standard across the board. And now it seems its going away(across the board) in favor of the larger and smaller scales. One time 10th scale was like the godilocks of sizes, it was just right. The perfect compromise, not too big and not too small. Maybe as someone who's been into RC since the late 90s Im biased and would hate to see it go away.

Whats your opinion of this? Curious to hear others views and what they think. Can someone put me in the know? Is 10th scale dying? Or has it already come and gone?
It's all region dependant imo.

Also, if you have only ever raced one class, you might feel the issue has been highlighted to you more than, say if you raced a lot of different classes and not paid so much attention.

For me, 1/10th touring car at my local club has been steady. Usually, the same faces every time I race, with a few newcomers turning up now and then
__________________
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
Tech Initiate
 
PirateRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rancho Cordova, CA
Posts: 49
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

It really does depend on location. In my area, we have 1 off-road indoor and 1 on-road outdoor track. The outdoor track runs Euro style off-road too (wooden jumps with carpet). Everything is 1/10. The on-road track runs nitro touring, electric touring, vta, etc. and gets decent turnouts. The indoor track gets good turnouts too. Both places are getting new racers and some that have been out of rc for awhile. I hope both tracks keep growing.
PirateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
Regional Moderator
 
nitrous36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 1,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
Wow, youíve explained the exact opposite to the situation where I live. 1/10th off-road is the biggest class by far, both buggy and shortbus. There isnít a place within an hour of where I live to race on-road of any type. If you want to race on-road donít move to CT, youíll be sorely disappointed.
The same for NC. Offroad is dominant. The only place(I know of) now, that has an onroad TC class in the eastern part of the state(probably the whole state) is an hour and a half away from me.

And TC3team is right, it depends on the region. Ive noticed that RC in general is especially big on the west coast, with offroad and onroad being equally as popular. In the south its mostly offroad, probably because(obvious stereotypes) trucks, lifts and offroading are very popular. So naturally it would translate to the RC world Im guessing. From what Ive seen, offroad is popular up north as well, but they seem to also support the onroad classes a good deal more than Ive seen in the south.
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
Tech Regular
 
HollywoodRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 436
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Cool 1/10th Scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36 View Post
It seems 1:10 scale is only popular in the on road world with touring cars, but has faded away in the off road world with the death of stadium trucks and the popularity of 1/8 buggys, or the 1/8 to 1/5 scale shortcourse trucks. It seems that offroad prefer the larger scales, and onroad, with the exception of touring cars, prefer the smaller scales with 1/12th(coming back) and the increasing popularity 1/18 and 1/24 mini's.

As a late 90s/early 00s RC guy, I remember when 10th scale was the standard across the board. And now it seems its going away(across the board) in favor of the larger and smaller scales. One time 10th scale was like the godilocks of sizes, it was just right. The perfect compromise, not too big and not too small. Maybe as someone who's been into RC since the late 90s Im biased and would hate to see it go away.

Whats your opinion of this? Curious to hear others views and what they think. Can someone put me in the know? Is 10th scale dying? Or has it already come and gone?
I guess it depends where you live. In Texas the largest classes at the track I race at has SCB, SC, and ST as the largest classes. All 2WD 1/10th scale. There are also a large number of 4WD SC as well. Yes, 1/8th buggies have a big class. All these cars are electric.
Cheers
HollywoodRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:48 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net