Search
Like Tree52Likes

Let's Talk Modified

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 05:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by simple
All we're implying is that the stress is higher on the mechanics of a mod motivated car, and the margin for error/damage is smaller when you make a mistake.
Going slower is undeniably easier on a car in the event of a "tick - boom!"

If you see a bunch of spec drivers causing more havoc than a modified class, I'd question the quality of driving before drawing any other conclusions....
Well sure, the quality of driving is generally worse in the lower classes, at least in my area. However they then went off on a tangent about marshalling, running multiple classes, low turnouts etc which has nothing to do with mod.
Lonestar and silden like this.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Well sure, the quality of driving is generally worse in the lower classes,......
I think I know what you meant to say....,

Last edited by simple; 09-22-2023 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jasburrito
yes and no. Nitro has very little torque. The traction a nitro can get with clutch slip just right seems to destroy electrics in lower traction situations. So torque can be bad. A high torque rotor just draws high amps no matter the settings. Hw, trinity, fleeta, reedy ect ect. All make dozens and dozens of rotors to tune your motors. Low turn chunky windings do not need strong rotors. It's over kill. Just study the charts. The rotor puts power to the tires.
If you have a rotor thats too weak, it will reduce efficiency. You don't have to run a strong rotor, just not a weak and heat soaked piece of junk. Any rotor close to its original strength is fine.

The bit about nitro and servo speed is just how fast the radio will let you go to full throttle, if you adjust the setting it will reduce the slew rate so it takes a few tenths of a second to go to full rather than instant. In my opinion it makes the trigger feel more like an automatic car with a torque converter, the engine needs a moment to wind up instead of instant power on the hit, it lets you drive harder.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
If you have a rotor thats too weak, it will reduce efficiency. You don't have to run a strong rotor, just not a weak and heat soaked piece of junk. Any rotor close to its original strength is fine.

The bit about nitro and servo speed is just how fast the radio will let you go to full throttle, if you adjust the setting it will reduce the slew rate so it takes a few tenths of a second to go to full rather than instant. In my opinion it makes the trigger feel more like an automatic car with a torque converter, the engine needs a moment to wind up instead of instant power on the hit, it lets you drive harder.
I checked the setup of a couple of the top drivers and most of them have a varying amount of expo on their throttle or esc. and sometimes even limit max throttle.
Old 10-05-2023, 07:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Different rotors for tuning in a modified motor changes the powerband it does not create inefficiency per say. Not adjusting gearing/ESC setup after making the change can lead to an inefficient setup but that is more of a lack of knowledge issue as opposed to the rotor itself.

The lack of interest in understanding how to achieve the performance you want and in fact knowing what you want from your car and the lack information on the subject are all to blame for the class low numbers not to mention people thinking their brand of car or generation of car is holding them back instead of concentrating on their skills driving and setup wise
Old 10-05-2023, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

My bit about the weak rotor causing inefficiency and heat was referencing a scenario where my rotor had gone bad and was very weak, any in-spec rotor (high torque, high rpm, whatever) will be fine.
Old 10-08-2023, 08:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Wondering if there would be interest in creating a Sticky post like the one dedicated to 1/12 tuning where the top post is a wiki that gets updated but specifically for Modified motor esc setup/tuning.
Old 10-09-2023, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lukyduckie
Wondering if there would be interest in creating a Sticky post like the one dedicated to 1/12 tuning where the top post is a wiki that gets updated but specifically for Modified motor esc setup/tuning.
My boss would say this sounds like volunteering.
gubbs3 and gigaplex like this.