Wiki Posts
Search

On Road car question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default On Road car question

My son who is 7 wants to buy an on road car with his Christmas money. He has $275 so I知 sure he could get something half decent. He will mostly be using it just for running in parking lots and out in front of the house. Some of the brands I have looked at are

1, Redcat which seem to be ok cars with a cheap price, Have read alot of mixed reviews for it. Parts will not be a problem as I live near the Redcat dealer in Brampton, Ontario.

2, Tamiya which I知 guessing is arguably the top of the line ones. The problem is I知 not sure which one to be looking at and also which one won稚 be a pain to get parts. Live near both HobbyHobby and Great Hobbies.

If anyone has some info they would like to share would be great, or any advice.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by one4rose
My son who is 7 wants to buy an on road car with his Christmas money. He has $275 so I’m sure he could get something half decent. He will mostly be using it just for running in parking lots and out in front of the house. Some of the brands I have looked at are

1, Redcat which seem to be ok cars with a cheap price, Have read alot of mixed reviews for it. Parts will not be a problem as I live near the Redcat dealer in Brampton, Ontario.

2, Tamiya which I’m guessing is arguably the top of the line ones. The problem is I’m not sure which one to be looking at and also which one won’t be a pain to get parts. Live near both HobbyHobby and Great Hobbies.

Thanks
The Associated TC4 RTR would be a very good choice as parts are readily available and its good enough to race if he wants to go that route later. They also have the Apex Touring car now. Take a look at the Associated website.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default RTR Touring car

This car would be a great start!

http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/Apex/RTR/
Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnn27
Have you seen one or played around with one yet?
It looks way over built, and the steering looks atrocious.

You could probly find something much better like a used setup or something.

Last edited by Sean B.; 02-10-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

You could consider the Sprint 2, but check out Marv's Silk Purse thread if you do.
Sprint 2s run for $~250. They a a bit heavy though and They have belts.

An Associated TC4 is not a bad choice. You can get the RTR vesion for $~250 too. It is shaft driven, so it will be more durable.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnn27
Wow! How circles turn. That looks identical to the Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk, which was supposedly from the parts bin of Associated, now Associated have branded it as their own. (right down to the exact same tyres/rubber and hex head bolt, rather than nut holding them on). Lots of Aussie guys love the Sparrowhawk as their rally car, so certainly should be durable enough.

http://www.ttamerica.com/cars/6535-f.html

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBXGC&P=SM
Old 02-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Smile

I would say one of the cheapest/best kits out atm money can buy

http://www.rcmart.com/specr-sports-e...cPath=420_1180

Fully adjustable alot of car for the money.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

I would be looking at the traxxas 16th scale cars, or any of the traxxas line. Your kid is 7, anything you get will take a beating. Also traxxas parts are available all over.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by one4rose
My son who is 7 wants to buy an on road car with his Christmas money. He has $275 so I’m sure he could get something half decent. He will mostly be using it just for running in parking lots and out in front of the house. Some of the brands I have looked at are

2, Tamiya which I’m guessing is arguably the top of the line ones. The problem is I’m not sure which one to be looking at and also which one won’t be a pain to get parts. Live near both HobbyHobby and Great Hobbies.

Thanks

If you are looking at racing, the redcat might be something that would not be too desirable. Although low entry level, the quality of the finished product is even lower and fitment has been terrible in the cars I have seen. If you are looking for something to run on the street then traxxas makes some great cars. Take a trip to see Derry at Galaxy Hobby in Mississauga. He is very knowlegable in rc cars and is a good retailer that won't oversell you.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Suspended

I am also new to this hobby and I bought my first RC car from an online toys site. I also posted in forum that which one will be the best to start with and they told that buy any electric RC car to start with.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well Sith Lord, Thunder Tiger owns Team Associated now... Tc4 all the way for the 7year old, by the way !!!!