Community
Wiki Posts
Search

will there be any new bodies for wgt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default will there be any new bodies for wgt?

why is there such a slim selection of bodies are there any in the works?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tnt2671
why is there such a slim selection of bodies are there any in the works?
Protoform is working on a new shell called the Gianna.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Actually I think there are tons of 200mm bodies which would fit fine on a WGT, but no matter what class you are running after some time there is one or two body that work "better" than the others and everybody runs them. Incidentally as far as on-raod is concerned it's often PF bodies.

Very surprised this hasn't happened yet in VTA by the way. Maybe because the cars are so slow?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

The problem is the very small number of WGT sales. Four years ago there were about 7 bodies listed in the rules. Today there are three; PF's Sofia, Parma's DB9 amd McCallister's Ferraro (correct me if there are more that fit in the WGT rules). Depending on your club/track you may be able to use any 200mm shell.

However, it is true that out of the bunch one or two bodies will perform better.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

WGT has some rather silly rules about bodies, front engine, long hood etc. Personally I think any body that models a real car that competes in international GT competition should be allowed. Bring on the Ferraris, Porsches, Mazdas etc.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950
WGT has some rather silly rules about bodies, front engine, long hood etc. Personally I think any body that models a real car that competes in international GT competition should be allowed. Bring on the Ferraris, Porsches, Mazdas etc.
Ah yes, another rules scofflaw. Breaking the rules is the number one reason a class dies which is what is happening to WGT. It is quite dead in the Midwest.

USGT is popular because you can use any GT body and on a TC chassis which are abundant plus the 21.5 motor slows things down so that the majority of racers can handle the speed unlike the 13.5 boosted WGT speeds and two wheel drive handling.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AreCee
Ah yes, another rules scofflaw. Breaking the rules is the number one reason a class dies which is what is happening to WGT. It is quite dead in the Midwest.

USGT is popular because you can use any GT body and on a TC chassis which are abundant plus the 21.5 motor slows things down so that the majority of racers can handle the speed unlike the 13.5 boosted WGT speeds and two wheel drive handling.
Most people have gone blinky and despite being 2wd, the cars are stuck. If you can't drive a proper WGT, you can't drive at all.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
Most people have gone blinky and despite being 2wd, the cars are stuck. If you can't drive a proper WGT, you can't drive at all.
Agreed on the great handling but I have seen quite a few WGT newbies struggle to keep their cars on the track.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950
Yup whats the point of calling it wgt if you cant run any international gt body.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rosko
Yup whats the point of calling it wgt if you cant run any international gt body.
Then name the class IGT and petition ROAR to write the rules accordingly. Then try to convince people to support the class.

Until then we have WGT which is an established (but fading) class.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

I would say weak in some areas rather than dead.Tracks like The Gate and Access in Ohio are strong in participation...Toledo is good too. The stigma of the foam tire is the main thing I've been told is the killer. Not so much the bodies....If it was about bodies TC would really be hurting...there are like two or three that work well.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

WGT dying has nothing to do with lack of bodies.

Here in the UK we have 30 bodies on our list, including Porsche 911, Lambourghini Gallardo, Ford GT and Toyota Supra GT. It doesn't matter how many bodies are on the list we still have races filled with nothing but Sophias. People try the different shells and always come back to the same one.

Touring cars is effectively another class with limited body options, there might be plenty on the market but everyone ends up running whatever is fastest at any club. But with touring cars not having a small number of approved bodies it usually means having to buy several bodies so you have the right shell for each track you run at.

WGT got relatively big because it was new. New body types, new chassis, rules that make them easy to drive. But unless the class gets big enough to take over what was before, touring car racers will always drift back to touring cars, or whatever the biggest class is.

If you aren't running at a big meeting the only thing preventing you running any body you want at your local club is your fellow racers. Telling them you want to try a different body because it looks cool will tell you what sort of drivers you are racing against. Any decent mates would be happy for you to run it as long as it isn't a wedge LMP shell, any awkward 'winning is everything' types will whine.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scootr117
The stigma of the foam tire is the main thing I've been told is the killer.
This amazes me every time.

We allow foams on touring cars at my local club, it gives beginners instant grip. Yet the expert touring car drivers wanted to only run rubber for years, and many stayed away because we didn't limit it to rubber only. The top drivers now only run rubber, but now moan because slower drivers on foams are as fast as they are.

The myths were that foams were more work and more expensive than rubber, although I think a lot of it is just that it is different. With foams you "have to" check ride height and gearing, and trim up the tyres every so often to keep them even, all of which is something you only really need to do once a week at most. Additive on between races, wipe off before your race.
Yet with rubbers they use brake cleaner first, dry them, additive, tyre warmers to bake them, and replace them much sooner as the grip goes off even though there's plenty of tyre left. Foams are supposed to chunk so easily, yet you can repair it with a piece of foam from an old tyre and the same accident is splitting the rubber tyre sidewall leading to throwing the tyre away.
Then again touring car racers can't seem to understand how you could possibly set up a WGT car without needing an expensive setup station.

Letting someone have a go of your car and pointing out how much cheaper it is to run usually helps convince them.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

would F1 rubber tires work on WGT?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RoyU
would F1 rubber tires work on WGT?
No

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.