Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1131Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 04:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camocrouch
Hi all,

I've been fiddling about with a TT-02B buggy body trying to develop it as a chassis cover for the sedan model to keep dirt and debris out of it.
Problem is the buggy body sits quite low and has very little room underneath for anything other than the stock electronics, unless you can mount them centrally which is difficult without a TT-01 Type E sort of chassis brace.
Then I thought, well they've gotta be pretty close in terms of wheel base so perhaps the TT-01 Type E upper chassis brace could be made to fit the TT-02?

Trouble is I just sold two TT-01's before thinking to check.
Does anyone have one lying around that they could check for me? Perhaps take a pic of it sitting across the top of a TT-02?

Or does anyone have any ideas on where to source something to do a similar job?

Cheers,
Crouch
There are actually TT-02 chassis covers.
I've seen them on the german ebay, i've contacted the seller about shipping to Belgium and he gave me a link to a website but i was unable to find them.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My complete budget racer. Used tire sauce today and was stunned. Felt like a kid in a candy store and have new love for the tt02. Pretty awesome journey from a rally car to this.

Still a few more things to tweak. Without this thread/forum I wouldn't have got this far
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TT02 Thread-image.jpg  
Old 08-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've been changing the mounting of the rear hubs and front steering blocks.
I did switch them arround as when you should do to make a TT-02 Rally version.
By doing this i need to mount some smaller dampers, so i did use some TRF mini dampers to become the correct ride height.
I mounted some VTEC 30R tires to see how the car performs with this setup.
Going to test this setup tomorrow on a high grip carpet track, i will keep you guys informed how it went.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

whats the best way to get more top end on my tt02? i have the highspeed gear set with a 27 pinion. lrp17.5 motor running 2s....snooze snooze snooze.. its seems ok for the stock drift type tires...but i want to do more than just slide around.. i bought some HPI replacement tires-so that should help the sliding. do i up the voltage--3s? change the gearing? or go for a different motor--like a 13.5 or even lower? i also have a trinity d3.5 17.5 motor but i havent tried it yet. i'm just bashing in a parking lot.. i'm not looking for crazy speed speed but i would like it to be at least peppy! .. before i throw any more money at this thing-i thought i would ask the experts... thanks.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeninjohnk
whats the best way to get more top end on my tt02? i have the highspeed gear set with a 27 pinion. lrp17.5 motor running 2s....snooze snooze snooze.. its seems ok for the stock drift type tires...but i want to do more than just slide around.. i bought some HPI replacement tires-so that should help the sliding. do i up the voltage--3s? change the gearing? or go for a different motor--like a 13.5 or even lower? i also have a trinity d3.5 17.5 motor but i havent tried it yet. i'm just bashing in a parking lot.. i'm not looking for crazy speed speed but i would like it to be at least peppy! .. before i throw any more money at this thing-i thought i would ask the experts... thanks.
From what i can understand is that you are using the high speed spur with a 27T pinion,is that correct?
If you do, then i suggest to buy a bigger pinion a 29T (This pinion comes in a set of 2 pinions 28T&29T) and a TB03 64T spur.
This will bring your final drive ratio (FDR) down to 5.74 instead of the 6.55 FDR you have now.
The motor should be ok with this lower FDR.
This would cost you less then $20, much cheaper then buying a new motor.
Just keep in mind that you oftenly need to check the temperature of the motor after a few minutes of driving.

Hope this helps
Old 08-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by addicted2blue
I've been changing the mounting of the rear hubs and front steering blocks.
I did switch them arround as when you should do to make a TT-02 Rally version.
By doing this i need to mount some smaller dampers, so i did use some TRF mini dampers to become the correct ride height.
I mounted some VTEC 30R tires to see how the car performs with this setup.
Going to test this setup tomorrow on a high grip carpet track, i will keep you guys informed how it went.
Today i've been testing the setup discribed above and the car was absolutely a blast to drive.
The car was on rails even without tire sauce, just cleaned the tires and drive.
Even though i was only using a silvercan motor but the car looked very fast and stable.
The most important thing i noticed was that when you mount the rear hubs and steering blocks like a rally version they become stronger.
Normally when i hit the boarding with the TT-02 (cause of to tide steering) the steering block would have been broken, but even after a few times of to tide steering the car (steering blocks) were still fine.
I can only recommend this to everybody who is running a TT-02 and is able to mount some smaller dampers (like TRF mini dampers).

@Qatmix,

You really should try the setup explained above, you will love it
If you need more explaining just PM me cause i'm unable to send a PM to you.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Trf dampers will help a tt02 out a lot.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Trf dampers will help a tt02 out a lot.
That's correct, but we have been using the car at the belgian TCS and there it isn't allowed to use TRF dampers in the junior or top stock series.
And because we are going to compete with another touring car championship (where it's allowed to use TRF dampers) i've been testing them with my new setup.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trf dampers as opposed to which? I have used the setup for rally on carpet but this was an unfair comparison as my car had been used for off road a lot. I ended breaking the rear left hub on the straight from the boarding if that's what you call it so I don't think its necessarily stronger due to a different setup.

I still have hit the boarders 1-2 during practice and not broken any knuckles/hubs. I'm also using a 9t motor so not too slow either on the straight
Old 08-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Djchow85
Trf dampers as opposed to which? I have used the setup for rally on carpet but this was an unfair comparison as my car had been used for off road a lot. I ended breaking the rear left hub on the straight from the boarding if that's what you call it so I don't think its necessarily stronger due to a different setup.

I still have hit the boarders 1-2 during practice and not broken any knuckles/hubs. I'm also using a 9t motor so not too slow either on the straight
We were only allowed to use the plastic oil shocks from tamiya.
When i said the rear hub&steering blocks are stronger by using them in rally configuration then it was mostly ment for the steering blocks.
I'm using the alu 2.5° rear hubs, these are very solid.

When you would mount the rear hubs and steering blocks as it's ment to be for on road racing then the steering blocks are very fragile and do break very easily.
My little girl broke a lot of these steering blocks with very minor crashes that a car should be able to handle without any problem.
This was the biggest problem for every TT-02 competing at the belgian TCS.
I have never broke 1 rear hub, even when i'm using the standard versions under racing conditions.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Wouldn't the m chassis super mini cva shocks give the same idea as the slipped suspension with trfs? While being cheaper, and having nearly equal performance and tune-ability.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:20 AM
Tech Master

Wouldn't the m chassis super mini cva shocks give the same idea as the slipped suspension with trfs? While being cheaper, and having nearly equal performance and tune-ability.
Yep the Tamiya Super Mini CVA's are the same length, and are good shocks. not as blue or shiny as the TRF ones though

@addicted2blue why doesnt my PM work for you ? I will try some of the things you mention. My TT02 is handling well atm, although I am away for work atm so not racing for a few days

Last edited by Qatmix; 08-17-2014 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

The TRF type dampers are waaaaayy better then those plastic super mini dampers, they will give a huge difference in handling.
They are indeed more expensive but IMO worth every extra $$$.
My car runs great with those super mini dampers but with those TRF mini dampers the car was so much more stable and planted and it does improve your laptimes.
I will keep trying to improve the cars handling with several other setups and tires.

My fastest laptime with just a silvercan motor was 11.053seconds, while on this same track Markus Mobers (1/12th stock european champion) have laptimes arround 7seconds with his modified 1/12th car. I think this isn't a bad time for a silvercan equipped basic car.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

Do you have laptimes between the minis and the trfs?
Old 08-18-2014, 02:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Djchow85
Do you have laptimes between the minis and the trfs?
No i don't have some laptimes with the super mini's.
I'm counting on what my eyes see and how i feel the car is driving arround the track.
For example i never use a roll out when i'm driving a F1 with foam tires or a 1/12th scale car, but i Always been able to get the gear ratio to be correct.
I'm mostly make dicisions on my feeling and so far they never let me down, but i'm getting older and you'll never know when i could be wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.