Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TT02 Thread >

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Like Tree1083Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Old 07-31-2014, 06:03 AM
Tech Master

Addicted2b - Looks cool Like the adaptation there, wait till you try it on the track, it really helps keep the rear in check

DJchow - As above, it helps keep your rear end more stable when cornering at speed.

Camo - I would love to see the pics of that, I am tempted to fit the 418 arms on my TT02 as I know how to do it, but it might stop it being anything like a TT02
Old 07-31-2014, 06:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Djchow85
How much gain have you got from this mod? They look like ride street tires ..
Those tires are standard tamiya 26mm radial tires.

@Qatmix,

I will be testing the car within a few hours on a large outdoor track.
The car was already good but i do look forward to see how it handles with this mod.
Thx for the great idea.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've been testing the car with the modifications and the rear traction did improve but i've also noticed that the rear hub has a lot more play and under acceleration the rear wobbles also a lot more then before.
I will look into it and i think i need to add an extra shim plate between the rear hub and suspension arm.
Overal i think it did improve the cars best lap at the track, my fastest time today was 1.5 seconds faster then the fastest guy last saterday with the same car, same motor and same FDR of 5.09.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by addicted2blue
I've been testing the car with the modifications and the rear traction did improve but i've also noticed that the rear hub has a lot more play and under acceleration the rear wobbles also a lot more then before.
I will look into it and i think i need to add an extra shim plate between the rear hub and suspension arm.
Overal i think it did improve the cars best lap at the track, my fastest time today was 1.5 seconds faster then the fastest guy last saterday with the same car, same motor and same FDR of 5.09.
Cool! I love seeing how far I can push this chassis

I have shimmed the lower hub in the arms, I get no wobble. I forgot to mention that.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi all,

I've been meaning to post up some pics and a mini build of my TT-02 drift conversion, using the Eagle Racing plastic drift kit.
However time is elusive so I thought i'd at least drop a handful of pics in with a few comments.

Although a 'drift' kit, i'm sure it could suit on-road use as well so hopefully you will find it interesting at least.

As Qatmix said though, i'm not sure if it still counts as a TT-02!?!? :-)

The Eagle Racing kit part number is TT02-14-PL and can be found on Broadtech here: http://www.broadtech.hk/eagleshop/sh...?id=TT02-14-PL
You can also get the same in alloy if that's your preference.

The kit is incredibly well spec'd with uni's, front and rear knuckles, front C-hubs, lower supension arms, ball bearings, locking wheel nuts, spacers, turnbuckles, mounting hardware, adjustable this and that's, etc. Even with EMS postage I think for what you get it's very well priced.
The obvious departures from the stock TT-02 core design elements are the use of C hubs and having turnbuckles for the upper suspension arms.

Here's some pics of the build.
Note the similarities to what Qatmix showed us earlier.
Also note that the A2 part that holds the stock upper suspension arm is not actually needed (I think I fitted it before I figured that out).

Only shot of the rear currently sorry...

These next shots also show the version 1 Eagle Alloy steering system.
You can't achieve the shown max steering angle without it binding in place - I have some high angle steering arms fitted since this pic.

My overall impressions of this kit are quite good - Fiddly (especially with the instructions in a different language!) but seems to be good quality, great value, lots of adjustability for wheelbase, and all the wheel angles you could want.

Sadly though I haven't done much testing - Not many places to drift in my local area.

If you have any specific questions on this kit please feel free to ask and i'll do my best to answer.

Cheers,
Crouch
Old 08-02-2014, 06:32 AM
Tech Champion

I bought two TT02 kits for my sons. Is there suggestion for rear upright toe in ?

Or I must buy tamiya hop up options : aluminium rear upright with toe in ?

( out of topic, I already bought tamiya hop up options : aluminium steering linkages full set , aluminium motor mount, high speed gears, 64t spur gears, 29t pinion gears, TRF oil shock dampers , tamiya TT02 spare parts )

Thank you for sharing tips and suggestions regarding rear toe in.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Tech Champion

..... I also enjoy reading the final drive ratio modification tips by qatmix and addicted2blue. Very tempting to do so .... too bad our local race regulations only allow tamiya parts only with 5.74 final drive ratio is the minimum limit for TT02 racing.

I am thinking of using M03 rear toe in hop up option.... let me check it first.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A few of the guys like qmatix and addicted are using rear toe in I'm sure. I'm waiting for my 2degree toe in. Are you guys running 2,2.5 or 3 toe in?
Old 08-03-2014, 01:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

A few of the guys like qmatix and addicted are using rear toe in I'm sure. I'm waiting for my 2degree toe in. Are you guys running 2,2.5 or 3 toe in?
I do use the tamiya aluminium toe-in rear hubs (i thought they are 2.5°), it did improve the cars handling.
With the last modification that i got from Qatmix's idea makes the car a bit faster cause of the rear grip advantage.

In my last post i refered to a wrong laptime of the other guy.
I've mentioned 23.5s but it was 22.4s with Ride 32 tires while i was just using tamiya medium narrow radial tires with a lot of wear.
Cause of all the changes i'm still 0.6seconds faster and still searching for some extra speed
I've got a new set of tires glued on a set of wheels with some offset to get the maxiumum width out of this chassis, that will make the car more stable when the car goes into corners and give the car more corner speed.
I will do some more testing.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah I ended up getting Yeah racing 2 degrees toe in as it was half the price of the tamiya ones. I would be interested to know lap times with extra off set. ..
Old 08-03-2014, 02:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah I ended up getting Yeah racing 2 degrees toe in as it was half the price of the tamiya ones. I would be interested to know lap times with extra off set. ..
That you can only find out by trying those different rear toe-in setups.
The difference between my standard TT-02 and my (as i like to call it) race spec TT-02 is between 0.5s and 1s per lap faster, that's what i call a very big difference
Old 08-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Does anyone have a set of stock ferrari 458... CHROME.... stock wheels that they would like to sell? I know this should be in the wtb section but it only applies to the tt02 kits..i figured it couldn't hurt to ask... thanks!
Old 08-03-2014, 11:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jeninjohnk
Does anyone have a set of stock ferrari 458... CHROME.... stock wheels that they would like to sell? I know this should be in the wtb section but it only applies to the tt02 kits..i figured it couldn't hurt to ask... thanks!
Just sold some!

If it helps they are also available on one of the RTR XB TT-01 kits: 46623 .

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Thanks! I found some hpi ones that are a 3 offset...i think those will work... there the same style. Hpi9030...from what I can see the tamiya chrome ones are a zero offset and the grays are 2...
Old 08-05-2014, 02:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi all,

I've been fiddling about with a TT-02B buggy body trying to develop it as a chassis cover for the sedan model to keep dirt and debris out of it.
Problem is the buggy body sits quite low and has very little room underneath for anything other than the stock electronics, unless you can mount them centrally which is difficult without a TT-01 Type E sort of chassis brace.
Then I thought, well they've gotta be pretty close in terms of wheel base so perhaps the TT-01 Type E upper chassis brace could be made to fit the TT-02?

Trouble is I just sold two TT-01's before thinking to check.
Does anyone have one lying around that they could check for me? Perhaps take a pic of it sitting across the top of a TT-02?

Or does anyone have any ideas on where to source something to do a similar job?

Cheers,
Crouch

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.