Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1131Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 07:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default TT02 Brushed Gearing - Is 64/27 .6Mod too aggressive?

My question is about TT02 Brushed Gearing. A few of us locally settled on TT02 Brushed Motor racing. Running Sport Tuned motors. I had 68/25 .6Mod gearing. I was not happy with the speed, so i bought a 64 spur with 27 and 29 pinions to try. The motor i have is only a month old with a dozen runs on it. I was running 68/25 just fine with no issues. Last night i tried the 64/27 and after a few short runs my motor died. Is that gearing too aggressive for a sport tuned motor? What would you do? reducing gearing ( perhaps 64/25)? or add a heatsink and fan?

As additional info we run run 3 minute races with a minute break in between. We'll run for about an hour at night and use 2 battery packs ( 5000mah). Finally last night after the car stopped working, i felt the motor and it didn't seem too hot. I wonder if it was jus excessive debris that killed my motor. Lots of dust and pollen out during spring.

What would you do?
Old 04-23-2021, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eidstaRC
My question is about TT02 Brushed Gearing. A few of us locally settled on TT02 Brushed Motor racing. Running Sport Tuned motors. I had 68/25 .6Mod gearing. I was not happy with the speed, so i bought a 64 spur with 27 and 29 pinions to try. The motor i have is only a month old with a dozen runs on it. I was running 68/25 just fine with no issues. Last night i tried the 64/27 and after a few short runs my motor died. Is that gearing too aggressive for a sport tuned motor? What would you do? reducing gearing ( perhaps 64/25)? or add a heatsink and fan?

As additional info we run run 3 minute races with a minute break in between. We'll run for about an hour at night and use 2 battery packs ( 5000mah). Finally last night after the car stopped working, i felt the motor and it didn't seem too hot. I wonder if it was jus excessive debris that killed my motor. Lots of dust and pollen out during spring.

What would you do?
Do you run nimh batteries or lipo batteries?
Old 04-23-2021, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by simple
Using the bumper mount body posts does not "alter the basic structure and design". Its perfectly legal.
thanks
Old 04-23-2021, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

Default Batteries

What type of battery is mostly used in the Spec/Novice class in the tamiya TCS series for the TT02 chassis (Nimh or Lipo)??
Old 04-23-2021, 09:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamsandolina
What type of battery is mostly used in the Spec/Novice class in the tamiya TCS series for the TT02 chassis (Nimh or Lipo)??
Lipo since it gives you voltage advantage, not to mention all the other advantages.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There's a bit more to brushed motor failures than just gear ratio.
couple things to scratch off the list:.....

1. Is there any binding in the gear train? with motor removed from chassis, move the spur with your thumb and it should feel free and smooth
2. Have you replaced all bushings with bearings? the improvement in gear train efficiency cannot be understated....this should be the first "hopup" on EVERYBODIES list.
3. When running with your specified gear ratio, try using the "old spit trick". When the motor is hot to touch, leave some saliva on your finger and wipe it on the motor. If it dissipates slowly, its fine, if it sizzles away, the gear ratio is too tall (pinion is too big and/or spur is too small).
4. If you don't like the speed of the sport tuned motor, its better to upgrade to a lower turn motor for more RPM and then gear accordingly.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GerryH
Lipo since it gives you voltage advantage, not to mention all the other advantages.
ok. I'm assuming they use either the TBLE-02 ESC or the Hobbywing 1060 ESC since they are running brushed motors in the Novice class? I still need to find lipos to run in the TCS novice class. Any suggestions??
Old 04-23-2021, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

new tt-02 is on the way....i have the hispeed gear setup coming as well.

with that said, i have a spare hackmoto 10.5t motor....can i run this on the stock ESC? if i can, what gearing should I go with.... will be run on a 2s lipo.

should i toss in a 1080 instead.....or would it be best just to buy a juststock 13.5t combo?

bashing at home and teaching my son how to drive RC's...no racing
jamsandolina likes this.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:48 PM
Tech Regular

Default Time to build!!!!

Look what showed up today. Just a few spare and hop up parts. I also ordered another TT02 and radio so my kids and grandkids can have some fun with me too. The great thing about these Tamiya kits is the cost of them. I can get 4 kits plus radios for the cost of my Tekno eb48 2.0 I just sold. Lol. Thinking about ordering a third TT02.

angrymelon and forumusername like this.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Do you run nimh batteries or lipo batteries?
yes 2S Lipo.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by simple
There's a bit more to brushed motor failures than just gear ratio.
couple things to scratch off the list:.....

1. Is there any binding in the gear train? with motor removed from chassis, move the spur with your thumb and it should feel free and smooth
2. Have you replaced all bushings with bearings? the improvement in gear train efficiency cannot be understated....this should be the first "hopup" on EVERYBODIES list.
3. When running with your specified gear ratio, try using the "old spit trick". When the motor is hot to touch, leave some saliva on your finger and wipe it on the motor. If it dissipates slowly, its fine, if it sizzles away, the gear ratio is too tall (pinion is too big and/or spur is too small).
4. If you don't like the speed of the sport tuned motor, its better to upgrade to a lower turn motor for more RPM and then gear accordingly.
hi thanks for responding. Bearings are super smooth, drivetrain was also very smooth. And after I lost the motor I could hold my finger on there a couple of seconds. Spit wouldn’t have sizzled.

I suspect two things. My gearing is too tall . Or all that dust/dirt from this seasons pollen got in the motor ans ruined it. Or bad luck on motor

I really hope it’s not the gearing.

was hoping to see if anyone ran that gearing and could reassume me it’s not too much for the motor to handle.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello everyone! I'm getting back into R/C after a 20 year hiatus, and I am in the process of building my new TT-02R. I'm going to be running an XR10 Pro G2, along with a 13.5T G3R motor since a small non-carpeted oval near me has a 13.5 Blinky class that I would like to try out as soon as I get some a few weeks/months of practice time in. They also have a 13.5 "open" class that looks like fun, but I'll cross that bridge when I get back into the racing groove with blinky.

My question is to you guys/gals running a similar setup with success- what kind of pinion/spur combo should I start with, or maybe rather what would be a good FDR to shoot for? The R comes with the high-speed gear set, so I can run pretty much whatever I want to as far as brand/pitch goes, but there's a lot of conflicting info out there as far as what won't end up cooking my motor prematurely. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-26-2021, 08:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SRConcepts
Hello everyone! I'm getting back into R/C after a 20 year hiatus, and I am in the process of building my new TT-02R. I'm going to be running an XR10 Pro G2, along with a 13.5T G3R motor since a small non-carpeted oval near me has a 13.5 Blinky class that I would like to try out as soon as I get some a few weeks/months of practice time in. They also have a 13.5 "open" class that looks like fun, but I'll cross that bridge when I get back into the racing groove with blinky.

My question is to you guys/gals running a similar setup with success- what kind of pinion/spur combo should I start with, or maybe rather what would be a good FDR to shoot for? The R comes with the high-speed gear set, so I can run pretty much whatever I want to as far as brand/pitch goes, but there's a lot of conflicting info out there as far as what won't end up cooking my motor prematurely. Thanks in advance!
For 13.5 you should to be around 4.5 fdr .. I believe.. maybe start above that and keep an eye on Temps
Old 04-26-2021, 10:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

so....i thought i had a spare low turn motor....but all i have is a 27t 540 and 1060 esc. I don't wanna bother with that setup, so i'm just going brushless.

im ordering a 10BL120 and a Surpass Rocket 9.5t motor. I'll be running on a 5200mah 120c 2s.

so, the question is....what gearing should be I be running? i have the tamiya aluminum motor mount and the high speed gear set......should I change over to 48p or 64p?

i want to order stuff today, as i just got my supra kit yesterday and the rest of the parts should show up today (shocks, center shaft, servo, shims, etc...)
Old 04-26-2021, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

ok. I'm assuming they use either the TBLE-02 ESC or the Hobbywing 1060 ESC since they are running brushed motors in the Novice class? I still need to find lipos to run in the TCS novice class. Any suggestions??
I'm pretty sure the TBLE-02 comes with the TT02 kits, so it's probably the most common in that class. People have commented that the battery cutoff voltage is too low for lipos because it's calibrated for LiFE batteries. But you can probably run this car on a 5000-6000mah battery for over 30 mins, so it's not an issue when racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.