Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1131Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Tamiya will be releasing reinforced steering blocks in the next couple of months, only question is when.
Thereinforced steering blocks will be included in the new TT-02D (drift) version kit.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Tech Master

Maybe all the new stock of TT02 kits will just feature them.. Hopefully the will be just on the Parts tree
Old 11-16-2013, 02:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Qatmix
Maybe all the new stock of TT02 kits will just feature them.. Hopefully the will be just on the Parts tree
Didn´t break my steering blocks yet, but as we introduce the TT02 in our Hobby race class in January, I thought about a quick fix for our drivers.
I put the late TT01 steering blocks on the TT02, not a big problem.
Just need some spacers. Will take some pics for you all and my race collegues.
That will maybe help, until better steering blocks are available by Tamiya!

Br,
Matthias
Old 11-16-2013, 06:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I don't think so... Not until the "E" version comes out.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

I don't understand why steering blocks would be an issue. Maybe people need to practice more or get out of the hit anything that moves novice/rookie classes?

I know accidents still happen in the higher skilled classes, some people just drive too aggressively.

So when you break these is it because -
  • Impact from another car?
  • Impact to the boards/fire hose/pvc pipe?
  • Other impacts from the side?

Its not really a concern, I don't remember the last time I actually hit something with an R/C car and I haven't driven one in twenty years, besides a hot rodded X-Mod indoors and still didn't hit anything...
Old 11-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

I have only broke one in over 6 months and it was a large impact (So acceptable to me). I'm not an agressive or novice driver but any form of racing has its accidents.

It's the only part that's broken and that's fine as everything breaks at some point. However as also mentioned here others have had more breaks with light collisions. That's not good for a kit that's aimed at all levels from beginners upwards.

It may be because we had the first batch, but as tamiya has acknowledged the fault with new parts its safe to say that they needed a revision going forward.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

I have only broke one in over 6 months and it was a large impact (So acceptable to me). I'm not an agressive or novice driver but any form of racing has its accidents.

It's the only part that's broken and that's fine as everything breaks at some point. However as also mentioned here others have had more breaks with light collisions. That's not good for a kit that's aimed at all levels from beginners upwards.

It may be because we had the first batch, but as tamiya has acknowledged the fault with new parts its safe to say that they needed a revision going forward.
True and I agree.

Since there are no rally bodies coming on the TT-02 I really want, I have looked into getting the semi-assembled chassis as I mentioned before.

No matter what happens though, the outcome is still the same in regards to price.

Banzai - $228 (Subaru 2008 WRC body)
RcMart - $241 (Exo Body)

The price difference is because Banzai charges less for the chassis ($101 vs $119) and slightly lower shipping charges from RcMart (Hong Kong vs Japan).

That not out of my budget but its more than I wanted to spend. That includes bearings and CVA shocks because to be frank pretty much every car is coming with those, but Tamiya.

I can get the Kyosho Fazer Rally car for $202 out the door, RTR. While I can't run the TCS with it and maybe Kyosho parts are expensive + hard to find, I think I can live with that, still thinking it over.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:07 AM
Tech Adept

Since yesterday I can call a TT-02 my own, too

Bought it with the Porsche 911 Carrera RSR body - I love it!

Started to build it yesterday and equipped it with bearings, the aluminum propeller joints (54502), the aluminum propeller shaft (54501) as well as the CVA mini shocks (53619).

Haven't finisehd yet, but I'm excited to
Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Does anyone have any idea if the Tamiya kits that Banzai Hobby sells come with an ESC? The Tamiya website says the kits come with TEU-105BK but the Banzai website shows that it doesn't. EVERYTHING else is exactly the same including model number. I've tried contacted them but haven't received a reply so thought I'd ask here.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Hasi
Since yesterday I can call a TT-02 my own, too

Bought it with the Porsche 911 Carrera RSR body - I love it! :

Haven't finisehd yet, but I'm excited to
Great body! Here you can find some pictures of my creation:
http://www.modelbouw-aktueel.nl/page...-tamiya156.php
Old 01-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by visuvius
Does anyone have any idea if the Tamiya kits that Banzai Hobby sells come with an ESC? The Tamiya website says the kits come with TEU-105BK but the Banzai website shows that it doesn't. EVERYTHING else is exactly the same including model number. I've tried contacted them but haven't received a reply so thought I'd ask here.
The Tamiya kit builds from Banzai Hobby do not usually come with an ESC but the RTR ones that come complete and assembled with radio gear normally do have an ESC.
It seems to be something with only the export kid builds cominging with an ESC...

Cheers,
Crouch
Old 01-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just thought I’d add my 2c here comparing the TT-02 platform and drivetrain back to its predecessor, the TT-01.

My previous RC was a TT-01 drifter and so far I’ve built three vehicles of the new TT-02 platform – one drifter and two buggies.

Many people have commented that the TT-02 has not improved on the TT-01 because it does not come standard with features like bearings, oil shocks, etc., and I certainly agree in the case of bearings in particular.

But one thing that I think hasn’t been highlighted enough is the improvements to the actual design itself, vs the TT-01.

Some examples include:
* It’s much easier to work on with the diffs dropping in from the top, rather than the sides – you don’t have to tip it on its end or remove the lower suspension (I switched out a diff the other day on my driveway in 5 minutes just by disconnecting the suspension and steering and unscrewing the top of the diff housing)
* It’s much easier to attach and remove the suspension, uprights and knuckles because they’re not held in place by the diff covers
* Drifters no longer need to cut away parts of the chassis to achieve maximum steering angle
* There are fewer gaps and holes underneath, making it much better suited for offroad use
* The suspension arms are set for maximum movement droop, without needing to cut anything away
* The main driveshaft is a sturdier design and is much easier to install as it drops straight in – Your not poking it through the sides of the diff housing
* The ends that connect into the diffs from the main driveshaft are identical at either end reducing confusion
* The tub can now fit hard case LiPo’s
* Everything seems much more rugged and sturdier

And I’m sure there’s more.

So while it may not have additional features included, the core design itself is much more user-friendly to use and maintain vs the TT-01.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,
Crouch
Old 01-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

They should also address suspension tunability like camber, toe, etc.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:21 AM
Tech Master

The TT02 is better in every single way to the TT01. TT01's also came with bushings and friction shocks, its only the Drift versions that had oil shocks and bearings, Tamiya has a drift TT02-D which will be released soon that will have these included.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Camocrouch
The Tamiya kit builds from Banzai Hobby do not usually come with an ESC but the RTR ones that come complete and assembled with radio gear normally do have an ESC.
It seems to be something with only the export kid builds cominging with an ESC...

Cheers,
Crouch
Thanks friend this helped. I'll just get the upgrades from them. Speaking of which.

I was going to get these hop up parts from Banzai:

54476 TT02 Ball Bearing Set
54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
54501 TT02 Alum Propeller Shaft
54502 TT02 Alum Propeller Joint
54539 TT02B Full Turnbuckle Set
51527 TT02 A Parts - Upright
51528 TT02 B Parts - Sus Arm
51529 TT02 C Parts - Cup Joint
51530 TT02 D Parts - Motor Mount

Can someone please tell me if something here is unnecessary or of there is something else I should get? I'm getting the spares just cause they are kind of cheap but if you guys don't think I need them I won't buy them.

I was trying to decide between the TT02 and a used TB03 but I think the TB03 is a bit too much care for me at the moment and I think I'd like to try racing in the novice Tamiya class.

Also, can someone tell me how fast the stock motor is in the TT02 kit? The description just says 540 brushed motor but i'm not sure how many turns or anything like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.