New VBC Flash-04 F1

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Here is super pit man Don P's solution for the weak upper arms of the 04F1;

1210 EXOTEK ADJUSTABLE UPPER ARM SET
1342 EXOTEK ADJUSTABLE ARM MOUNT SET

Different longer rear turnbuckles are needed.

Attached Thumbnails New VBC Flash-04 F1-vbc_f1_-2-.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

the f104 front end will also fit on this car just in case the oem front breaks and there aren't any parts available.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
Here is super pit man Don P's solution for the weak upper arms of the 04F1;

1210 EXOTEK ADJUSTABLE UPPER ARM SET
1342 EXOTEK ADJUSTABLE ARM MOUNT SET

Different longer rear turnbuckles are needed.

Doctor P. in the haus!!!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here is a new area for you guys racing these cars. Check your pod bottom plate and left side bulkhead. We are seeing a few of these bend. It seems that the aluminum they use is not the treated (high strength) grade.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This coming weekend (Sunday at Superior Hobbies) will be testing on the asphalt the new GQ foam F1 tires.In a few weeks will be testing on the new carpet track in town (foams) and Pardus rubber. Now just waiting for next sunday.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
Here is a new area for you guys racing these cars. Check your pod bottom plate and left side bulkhead. We are seeing a few of these bend. It seems that the aluminum they use is not the treated (high strength) grade.
As a follow up: VBC states that the aluminum is 7075. They do not say that it is T3 or T6 which are the hardened grades. We were able to straighten the pieces easily because they are soft.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I must apologize to all the Flash-04 owners for my dismal showing at RROC last May. Running a brand new car and switching from Futaba to Spektrum bit me so hard in the arse, its not the way i wanted to represent. The car was sooooo twitchy on power, it was nearly impossible to drive anywhere. Now, nearly 2 months later it turns out that the steering exponential on the Spektrum radios are configured opposite from what I consider to be the correct functionality for exponential. So long story short... I kept going in the negative setting direction to slow down the initial steering input which in fact was making it faster, not slower. I should have caught this on day 1 but I didn't. I honestly think I could have made the podium based on how well the car drives now. I'm loving it now that i know what the "real" problem was and everyone comments on how good it looks on the track. We are racing on a very bumpy parking lot track sprayed with soda and the car is now on rails... Finally!
I'm glad I didn't give up on this one.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YoDog
I must apologize to all the Flash-04 owners for my dismal showing at RROC last May. Running a brand new car and switching from Futaba to Spektrum bit me so hard in the arse, its not the way i wanted to represent. The car was sooooo twitchy on power, it was nearly impossible to drive anywhere. Now, nearly 2 months later it turns out that the steering exponential on the Spektrum radios are configured opposite from what I consider to be the correct functionality for exponential. So long story short... I kept going in the negative setting direction to slow down the initial steering input which in fact was making it faster, not slower. I should have caught this on day 1 but I didn't. I honestly think I could have made the podium based on how well the car drives now. I'm loving it now that i know what the "real" problem was and everyone comments on how good it looks on the track. We are racing on a very bumpy parking lot track sprayed with soda and the car is now on rails... Finally!
I'm glad I didn't give up on this one.
Would love to hear about your set up as I am racing on a bumpy, soda sprayed parking lot this coming weekend. Only run it on carpet so far so any advice would be appreciated (option of rubber or foams).
Old 07-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HenryC
Would love to hear about your set up as I am racing on a bumpy, soda sprayed parking lot this coming weekend. Only run it on carpet so far so any advice would be appreciated (option of rubber or foams).
Well, here is what I have at the moment:
Silver springs in front
Gold springs on the sides
10.5lb (soft KFactory) spring in the middle with 40w AE oil and 3 hole kit piston.
Ride F1 and R1 premount tires from Thunder Power (full sauce).
5mm ride height all around.
Speedo mounted in the middle as far back as I can get it.
Shorty battery far back against the speedo.
Kit settings for front upper arm with -1.5* camber.
McLaren MP5 body and wings. (I'd like to try something more race proven rather than scale in the future)
Diff set with just a touch slip from a dead stop at WOT (it would be nice to have a way to measure diff tension accurately rather than by feel)
You will likely need about -30% ST EXPO or in my case +30 since I have a Spektrum DX3R Pro.
If I forgot something, let me know and I will elaborate.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by YoDog
Well, here is what I have at the moment:
Silver springs in front
Gold springs on the sides
10.5lb (soft KFactory) spring in the middle with 40w AE oil and 3 hole kit piston.
Ride F1 and R1 premount tires from Thunder Power (full sauce).
5mm ride height all around.
Speedo mounted in the middle as far back as I can get it.
Shorty battery far back against the speedo.
Kit settings for front upper arm with -1.5* camber.
McLaren MP5 body and wings. (I'd like to try something more race proven rather than scale in the future)
Diff set with just a touch slip from a dead stop at WOT (it would be nice to have a way to measure diff tension accurately rather than by feel)
You will likely need about -30% ST EXPO or in my case +30 since I have a Spektrum DX3R Pro.
If I forgot something, let me know and I will elaborate.
1-How much droop in front?
2-How much droop in rear?
3-Toe out?
4-Caster?
5-What motor...13.5, 17.5, 21.5, etc?
6-What gearing.....pinion & spur with above motor selection?
7-Boosted or Blinkie?
8-Tire sauce used?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

HenryC- I take it you will be at superior this weekend?I've got both Foams and rubber tires and a variety of tire tractions.I know you won't have the foams I've got (GQ Tires) and as for rubber break them in first.I tried Pardus but did not break them in and had problems. Now that they are broken in they work good. I"ll be glad to help you out the best I can. Just look fo Team BullFrog I'm easy to spot.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
HenryC- I take it you will be at superior this weekend?I've got both Foams and rubber tires and a variety of tire tractions.I know you won't have the foams I've got (GQ Tires) and as for rubber break them in first.I tried Pardus but did not break them in and had problems. Now that they are broken in they work good. I"ll be glad to help you out the best I can. Just look fo Team BullFrog I'm easy to spot.
HEY! Go get your own team mate, he's with me this sunday.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Shadow I've just got in the new outdoor foams and the way to break in the Rubber tires(the correct way).They rubber tires worked at Stricklands several weeks ago after they were broke in and just half of the traction stuff applied.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by all4fun
1-How much droop in front? maybe 0.5mm
2-How much droop in rear? 2mm
3-Toe out? )0.5 to 1 degree
4-Caster? Stock setting (both shims in front)
5-What motor...13.5, 17.5, 21.5, etc? Reedy Sonic Mach2 21.5t with 12.2mm RPM rotor
6-What gearing.....pinion & spur with above motor selection? 88/36
7-Boosted or Blinkie? Blinky per UF1 rules
8-Tire sauce used? Paragon 2

See answers in orange above...
Old 07-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have not gotten those peice of crap tires to work on anything and I've even dumped goat piss on em. I don't know might just be a bad set but if goat piss don't make them bite nothing will. Are the gq tires as small as the carpet tire or a little bigger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.