Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Windex to position it, then hit it with a hair/blow dryer. The decal softens and conforms to the body very well. That is how I get the decals on helmets perfectly conforming.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've heard of that method, and I can't argue with the results, but I'm sure it takes practice and I don't want to mess up a body I've spent time trimming and painting by screwing up the decals while learning how to conform them with heat.

Does the decal conform automatically or do you have to stretch it while heating it? If it's the latter it seems like you'd end up needing 3 or 4 hands to get it to come out right.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
I've heard of that method, and I can't argue with the results, but I'm sure it takes practice and I don't want to mess up a body I've spent time trimming and painting by screwing up the decals while learning how to conform them with heat.

Does the decal conform automatically or do you have to stretch it while heating it? If it's the latter it seems like you'd end up needing 3 or 4 hands to get it to come out right.

I've found that's not really necessary. I use a spray of water if absolutely necessary, but it's more about starting in the right place and planning where to put the decal before putting it there. And if it wants to wad up or stretch, cut it into smaller pieces or make cuts on the inside of where you are curving/bending.

/////

MY NEW XV01 IS ON THE WAY.

Unfortunately for me it's the Subaru BRZ kit , won it in an auction... couldn't beat the price .

Does anyone have a Lancia Integrale body set to sell (or straight trade for the BRZ)?
Old 04-19-2016, 01:59 AM
Tech Champion

Use the BR-Z body as a runner and buy a Lancia body later on for show.

I've used the cutting method to make decals fit, but the overlapping bits of the decals never stick properly and eventually curl up and start collecting dirt.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:01 AM
Tech Adept

so...

which kit should i get? xv01tc pro or the xv01t?

from the manuals it seems the tc has the universal shafts, some differences in the arms and the shocks.

so what does it translate to?
Old 04-20-2016, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

The XV-01T is closer to a rally-car build. All it needs is black plastic A-arms instead of the stock grey rubbery-plastic A-arms, and normal rally-car-size tires. Then you can put any rally-car body you want on it.

The XV-01TC is a straight-up touring car build, with different A-arms, caster blocks, hubs, and axles than the rest of the XV-01 range uses. Also the XV-01TC uses a slightly longer shock shaft in the front, which you don't need to use if you want super-low ground clearance, but if you don't use the longer shock shaft in the front you'll have to add down-travel limiters to the rear shocks to get equal ride height front-to-rear.

All of the XV-01s can be fitted with CVDs in the rear and double-cardan driveshafts (DCDs) in the front. The TC version takes 44mm rear CVDs and 44mm front DCDs, and the other versions take 39mm rear CVDs and 42mm front DCDs. They can also use CVDs in the front, of course, but I prefer DCDs because they don't rattle the front suspension when cornering. DCDs will require slightly thinner 5x10x3mm inboard front wheel bearings to provide extra clearance for the DCDs. Team Associated sells these bearings so you don't have to buy them from Tamiya.

None of this is to say you should get one or the other. It depends on whether you want to drive on pavement only (TC version) or dirt and grass too (all the other versions).
Old 04-21-2016, 12:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
The XV-01T is closer to a rally-car build. All it needs is black plastic A-arms instead of the stock grey rubbery-plastic A-arms, and normal rally-car-size tires. Then you can put any rally-car body you want on it.

The XV-01TC is a straight-up touring car build, with different A-arms, caster blocks, hubs, and axles than the rest of the XV-01 range uses. Also the XV-01TC uses a slightly longer shock shaft in the front, which you don't need to use if you want super-low ground clearance, but if you don't use the longer shock shaft in the front you'll have to add down-travel limiters to the rear shocks to get equal ride height front-to-rear.

All of the XV-01s can be fitted with CVDs in the rear and double-cardan driveshafts (DCDs) in the front. The TC version takes 44mm rear CVDs and 44mm front DCDs, and the other versions take 39mm rear CVDs and 42mm front DCDs. They can also use CVDs in the front, of course, but I prefer DCDs because they don't rattle the front suspension when cornering. DCDs will require slightly thinner 5x10x3mm inboard front wheel bearings to provide extra clearance for the DCDs. Team Associated sells these bearings so you don't have to buy them from Tamiya.

None of this is to say you should get one or the other. It depends on whether you want to drive on pavement only (TC version) or dirt and grass too (all the other versions).
so the xv01tcpro is basically another belt driven, front motor version of tt02? (I have a tt02 r and type S, ta03fs and ta03-twin motor)

sounds like i should be getting the xv01t.

just not sure if I can get the wheels and rims of the xv01t on its own
Old 04-22-2016, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

My poor Lancia body...

Work parking lot. 2S. Running like I've run it many times before. Hit a piece of gravel. Seriously! A rock, maybe 3/4" around. Next thing I know, the XV-01 is flying through the air at around waist-level, then crashing and rolling many times, leaving a trail of wing and mirror parts behind until it hits a light pole and comes to a stop.

You know, it's one thing if I make a mistake and crash it. I can deal with that but hitting a small rock or a piece of uneven pavement that I didn't know was there and watching the car go flying through the air and then all the carnage that comes afterwards... that's just the worst. If it wasn't for stupid stuff like that, it wouldn't have a scratch on it. Now, I'm going to need a new body.

I've been looking at the beautiful rally bodies from KillerbodyRC but when it comes to actually purchasing one, I'm not convinced that they actually want to sell bodies. They sure don't make it easy to get one. I wouldn't want to run with one of those anyway but it would look great in my garage.

TQRC certainly has no shortage of bodies. So many bodies...

Edit: Wow, that spoiler makes such a big difference in handling. It's faster without it, I can definitely feel that. It's even more quiet without the wind rushing around the wing. Most of all though, the rear end grip at high speed is all but gone. I have to slow down for the turn in front of the house now or it just spins out. Fortunately, I was able to find all the pieces of the spoiler after the crash and the epoxy is drying as I type this.

Last edited by Metal One; 04-22-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:04 AM
Tech Champion

I never used the rear spoiler, I just use swaybars to tune-out the massive oversteer, but you do want *some* oversteer, because it's a rally car and rally cars are supposed to slide around corners.

Sucks that your body got messed up. But look at it this way, now you have an excuse to paint one for show, and continue using the scraped one for driving.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 04-24-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by novaris
so the xv01tcpro is basically another belt driven, front motor version of tt02? (I have a tt02 r and type S, ta03fs and ta03-twin motor)

sounds like i should be getting the xv01t.

just not sure if I can get the wheels and rims of the xv01t on its own
I'm not familiar with those other vehicles, so I'll take your word for it. If you get the XV-01T, don't bother using the wheels and tires that come with it. (well, the wheels are okay, they can be used to fit a 200mm race-truck body if you want.) The tires are awful; even with a cheap brushed motor I could spin all four tires on dry concrete without trying. They're just absolute garbage. Also, tires that size lift the body enough that if they *do* have enough grip, it will traction-roll when cornering.

The XV-01T is a good start for building a rally car, but it's a terrible platform for a truck. The wheelbase is way too narrow and it's almost impossible to find truck tires that fit without rubbing against the chassis when the steering turns.

I ended up converting my XV-01T into a FWD rally car (because I already had a 4WD rally car and I wanted something different), and it's great fun now.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

I made a new spoiler from lexan and some modified HPI wing mounts. It's tougher than the original and easily repairable. Doesn't look as nice but it works well and it will hold up better should the car go flying through the air again.

I have tried multiple times to purchase the Killerbody Lancia but their website just does not work. I managed to make an account on their main site, get the body into the shopping cart and complete the checkout process. The only problem is, it never asked for a payment of any kind. Their USA site doesn't have online shopping. The prices are very reasonable for that amount of detail and all the stuff the bodies come with, they just won't sell me one.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metal One
I made a new spoiler from lexan and some modified HPI wing mounts. It's tougher than the original and easily repairable. Doesn't look as nice but it works well and it will hold up better should the car go flying through the air again.

I have tried multiple times to purchase the Killerbody Lancia but their website just does not work. I managed to make an account on their main site, get the body into the shopping cart and complete the checkout process. The only problem is, it never asked for a payment of any kind. Their USA site doesn't have online shopping. The prices are very reasonable for that amount of detail and all the stuff the bodies come with, they just won't sell me one.
They don't sell direct. Try HobbyTown or AsiaTees.com I'm nearly ready to buy their Lancia Stratos body. I don't like their Integrale, the grille looks

Also if you just want a runner body- get a Rally Legends Lancia Integrale from HobbyKing (int'l warehouse).
Old 04-24-2016, 08:23 PM
Tech Champion

The only KillerBodies I've ever seen for sale are on AsiaTees or eBay.

Is that HobbyKing Lancia Delta body 190mm wide?
Old 04-24-2016, 11:43 PM
Tech Champion

Can we talk about how terrible the stock "rally block" tires are? I mean seriously, the only thing they're good for is lasting a long time. I'm pretty sure the bare wheels would have more grip. Thank goodness HPI hasn't discontinued their Pirelli rally tires.

Yet.

<_<

>_>

*runs to buy more spare tires*
Old 04-25-2016, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, run fast! Get that HPI stuff while (if) you still can.

Odd that Killerbody.com would have an account and shopping cart system on their website if they didn't sell direct but that does seem to be the case. That's too bad, really. Seems like a surefire recipe for failure in this day and age. There are no shops within 200 miles of me that can get them.

I saw the HobbyKing body and considered it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.