Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 03:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think it's about time I order the Aluminium Suspension holders. Another drive today, another breakage
Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

I'm about 90% through my build of the XV-01PRO TC... and I have noticed that for offroad (I know it's a TC kit, but hey ), the Reversible Suspension doesn't give you a lot of ride-height in the front... I'm going to put the longer of suspension holders but even then, it's not going to give me much... The arms hit the chassis at just a little under horizontal.

How was the older Pro kit, or the normal kit for that matter, in terms of ride-height on the front?

I know in this kit, it's the suspension arms hitting that are the limiting factor.
I'm not looking for stupid height, but just something a little more.. especially given that the weight is almost all in the front.

(ed) I've just looked at the manual for the original Pro kit. They've raised the suspension block holders just a little (1mm in the front and 2mm in the rear), this in theory should give me more leverage allowing more ride height. I guess I'll just give it a go and see....
Old 03-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by clittle
I'm about 90% through my build of the XV-01PRO TC... and I have noticed that for offroad (I know it's a TC kit, but hey ), the Reversible Suspension doesn't give you a lot of ride-height in the front... I'm going to put the longer of suspension holders but even then, it's not going to give me much... The arms hit the chassis at just a little under horizontal.

How was the older Pro kit, or the normal kit for that matter, in terms of ride-height on the front?

I know in this kit, it's the suspension arms hitting that are the limiting factor.
I'm not looking for stupid height, but just something a little more.. especially given that the weight is almost all in the front.

(ed) I've just looked at the manual for the original Pro kit. They've raised the suspension block holders just a little (1mm in the front and 2mm in the rear), this in theory should give me more leverage allowing more ride height. I guess I'll just give it a go and see....
The suspension arms are different as well on the rally version, which gives it greater ride height.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
I think it's about time I order the Aluminium Suspension holders. Another drive today, another breakage
I replaced my front one with aluminium single piece and purchase the carbon infused parts tree as a spare. I figured I would give them a shot first before springing to Tamiya blue.

I did however go berserk and order the following hop ups from Banzai:

54451 XV-01 Alum Steering Arms
54452 XV-01 Carbon Damper Stay
54453 XV-01 Carbon Damper Stay
54454 XV-01 Alum Steering
Old 03-20-2013, 03:10 AM
Suspended

That looks great. Nice and neat wiring. A couple of the guys at the track here have one. Speedway is going to put on a multi-surface race series this summer. I plan to get one so I can race in that series with my new rc petrol cars.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Raman
I broke my front XJ mount (single piece) and am now running the Alu 54379. I decided to behave and not buy all of them at once, only as need (eg once the break)

I wish Tamiya had designed the XV-01 to use the same mounts as the TB03/TA05. I have a nice variety of those in my tool box.

I did a comparison, the mount holes for chassis are the same, but the XV-01's are much narrower.
I tried to fit XV-01 front axle to my TB-03 - with 1XD mounts it had same width as original TB axle with 1A.. You'll maybe need longer driveshafts, but it's possible to mount standart suspension mounts together with XV-01 axle.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:01 AM
Tech Rookie

what a nice designs this is!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How are the diffs in the xv01, since its similar to the ta06 rear diff does it leak alot ???
Old 03-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alex_evo
How are the diffs in the xv01, since its similar to the ta06 rear diff does it leak alot ???
The diffs seem pretty nice and solid, mine have not leaked at all. Just take your time putting them together and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sounds gd, cant wait to build mine once decide on a shell. TA06 ones are a pain even when done per instructions
Old 03-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by alex_evo
Sounds gd, cant wait to build mine once decide on a shell. TA06 ones are a pain even when done per instructions
When you're looking at shells, make sure they'll fit the front-mounted motor. Most do, I believe.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
When you're looking at shells, make sure they'll fit the front-mounted motor. Most do, I believe.
Haha, yeah I went to put my VTA shell on the XV last weekend to run a special VTA show race - wouldn't fit
Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, installed the slipper clutch. not sure if this right but it can rock back and forward about 1mm? Is that normal?
Old 03-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (96%+)

Hey guys! I've looked through most of this thread and there is some great info here!

I am finally ordering myself a XV-01 Pro kit. I've wanted it since it was released and it's finally time to get myself one! I currently have a DF03ra, but I want this one also.

I am ordering the XV-01 Pro kit, reinforced belt, Team Arai WRX body, slipper clutch, and a Tamiya interior. I already have my electronics for the chassis. I plan on running a Castle Creations 5700kv brushless system and 2s lipo. I also have a Savox servo laying around. Would that servo be a good fit for the car, or is it too fast?

Any tips for me as I build the chassis?

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S
Hey guys! I've looked through most of this thread and there is some great info here!

I am finally ordering myself a XV-01 Pro kit. I've wanted it since it was released and it's finally time to get myself one! I currently have a DF03ra, but I want this one also.

I am ordering the XV-01 Pro kit, reinforced belt, Team Arai WRX body, slipper clutch, and a Tamiya interior. I already have my electronics for the chassis. I plan on running a Castle Creations 5700kv brushless system and 2s lipo. I also have a Savox servo laying around. Would that servo be a good fit for the car, or is it too fast?

Any tips for me as I build the chassis?

Thanks!
That all sounds pretty good to me. I have a Savox 1251mg in mine and it works great.

The chassis build was pretty straight forward for me. I got a few things backwards, but that was my fault. One thing to check is the battery fitment, as it's a pretty cramped space. I shove 2s SPC lipos in mine and have to tuck the wires in pretty hard to get it all to close. But they fit and run like champs.

What ESC are you planning to run, the MMP? If so, that'll also be a tight fit. I currently have an MMP in mine (with a 4600kv motor) and it has to be in the front of the compartment. The cables are too short to move it into the back, and it can't be in the middle because of the fan. So MMP up front, then the RX, then the battery cable coming out the back hole.

You may want to consider making some mud flaps to keep crap out of the chassis, this is what I did to mine and it works pretty good:

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.