Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

So, I finally got around to putting on the longer shock ball-ends. I had to put some stop-screws into the bottoms of the front suspension arms to prevent the turnbuckles from hitting the chassis on full droop, but otherwise everything worked out pretty good. I lowered my body a bit and I'm really digging the stance! Not as slammed as I previous had it, but still looks the part. The added ground clearance will be really nice the next time I hit the dirt.

At the same time I changed the oil in my shocks and found it dirty after just one run. But, like the idiot that I am, I ended up putting 30wt oil into the shocks, thinking that's what I did originally. NOPE. Originally I used the kit oil, which is 900cSt, or about 70wt if I did my Google right. So now I have pretty bad bounciness, as the stock springs are overpowering the dampening. I'll be ordering some heavier oil tomorrow.

That reminded me of the new offroad spring kit Tamiya is releasing: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54465

Anyone know where the stock springs fall on the spectrum. Also, how do the stock springs compare to the Tamiya onroad spring kit?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Double post, sorry.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by metalnut
That reminded me of the new offroad spring kit Tamiya is releasing: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54465

Anyone know where the stock springs fall on the spectrum. Also, how do the stock springs compare to the Tamiya onroad spring kit?
I believe that their difference is mainly their lenght. If I remember it properly, the stock springs are 30mm while the TRF on-road springs are 25mm and the TRF short springs are 20mm. This new spring set is probably 30mm but comes in different colors (spring rates).
Old 03-13-2013, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

Questions?? Question regarding off road running and a spool.

I've just picked up the XV-01TC PRO kit and the extra guards. I'm planning on running it off road.

I noticed that the kit came with a front direct-coupling (spool). Does anyone have any experience with running a spool in an offroad "rally" car? Should I got and get another gear diff instead?

Any advice?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by clittle
I've just picked up the XV-01TC PRO kit and the extra guards. I'm planning on running it off road.

I noticed that the kit came with a front direct-coupling (spool). Does anyone have any experience with running a spool in an offroad "rally" car? Should I got and get another gear diff instead?

Any advice?
This cracks me up... we have guys buying the regular XV-01 who try to convert it to full TC, and you bought the TC to run offroad

May I ask why you did that, though? The non-TC comes with extra protection from the elements, which the TC does not.

I don't have much experience with a spool offroad, but you can probably just get another XV-01 diff to put up front for cheap, no?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Any advice?
Spool in front is not such a bad thing, the car is front heavy and has lots of steering anyways. Try it out first and see how it performs.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey all,
What kind of diff oil are ppl using. I haven't built mine yet but it will be used mainly on dusty tarmac (streets/parking lot) and on occasion dirt gravel
Old 03-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by alex_evo
Hey all,
What kind of diff oil are ppl using. I haven't built mine yet but it will be used mainly on dusty tarmac (streets/parking lot) and on occasion dirt gravel
I built mine with the kit oil (900cSt, or 70wt I believe), and it seems fine. I've read here that some people run something heavier in the front, but I haven't tried it myself yet. I've driven the car in the conditions you described and it handled great out of the box.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by metalnut
This cracks me up... we have guys buying the regular XV-01 who try to convert it to full TC, and you bought the TC to run offroad

May I ask why you did that, though? The non-TC comes with extra protection from the elements, which the TC does not.

I don't have much experience with a spool offroad, but you can probably just get another XV-01 diff to put up front for cheap, no?
Ha, yeah I don't tend to do things the way "normal" people do it

I did weigh up the option of getting a normal XV-01 kit (couldn't get my hand on the PRO), but the options available in the TC PRO (suspension, universals etc) really swung my decision in that direction. The TC PRO was 1000 yen more expensive than the normal kit. No tyres or body, but I have those already. The belt covers and "mud-guards" parts tree cost me an extra 504 yen so it wasn't that bad.

Added bonus is that in the past I've run both a TA05R, and a TRF416... so I have plenty of spare parts with regards to the suspension arms.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Raman
Spool in front is not such a bad thing, the car is front heavy and has lots of steering anyways. Try it out first and see how it performs.
Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought I'd do. Will let you know
Old 03-13-2013, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Ha, yeah I don't tend to do things the way "normal" people do it

I did weigh up the option of getting a normal XV-01 kit (couldn't get my hand on the PRO), but the options available in the TC PRO (suspension, universals etc) really swung my decision in that direction. The TC PRO was 1000 yen more expensive than the normal kit. No tyres or body, but I have those already. The belt covers and "mud-guards" parts tree cost me an extra 504 yen so it wasn't that bad.

Added bonus is that in the past I've run both a TA05R, and a TRF416... so I have plenty of spare parts with regards to the suspension arms.
Ah, that makes sense, I forgot you can retrofit the belt covers and mud guards

Well, build it, then take some pictures and show us
Old 03-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by alex_evo
Hey all,
I use the stock #900 in the back diff. In the front I'm still testing, tho it progressively got better by going up from the stock #900 until current #60.000

In the shocks, I found that with my white trf springs up front and blue in the back, the oils of choice were #1200 front and #900 back. This is an on-road setup.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks!
yeah i have a ta06 and run heavier oil up front, but wasn't too sure on the loose gravel and low grip dusty tarmac

Originally Posted by stormridersp
I use the stock #900 in the back diff. In the front I'm still testing, tho it progressively got better by going up from the stock #900 until current #60.000

In the shocks, I found that with my white trf springs up front and blue in the back, the oils of choice were #1200 front and #900 back. This is an on-road setup.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

I just put Associated 80wt (1000 cSt) oil in the shocks all around, it feels pretty good! I think it'll work well for the stock springs until Tamiya releases the offroad spring kit.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I'm placing an order for some spare and hop up parts from Banzai. I tried to order the new springs, but they're not released yet even over there, until end of April.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.