Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Those longer shock shafts are harder than hell to get anymore, now that the XV-01TC is discontinued. The only way I managed to get a set was to have a forum member who lives in Europe order them from a shop that wouldn't ship them to me in the US.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Raman
Which TRF dampers did you pick up? There are several versions these days. The one o-ring is for carpet set up.

You can build the TRF dampers with 2 orings. Depending on the version, you either replace the white spacer with the second o ring or if you have the one piece retainer that came with the new 419 damper, you would replace that with the thinner version that's in this rebuild kit

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXUSG5&P=K

There is also a longer piston available from the XV01 TC. Part number is 9804706
I bought the Tamiya #42102 dampers. These come with 1 clear silicone o ring per damper. The rebuild kit you show from Tower is the same as comes with inside the shock. I guess I need to find me some silicone o -rings 3mmx6mm.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Those longer shock shafts are harder than hell to get anymore, now that the XV-01TC is discontinued. The only way I managed to get a set was to have a forum member who lives in Europe order them from a shop that wouldn't ship them to me in the US.
I actually don't think TamiyaUSA every stocked them. I special ordered mine from Banzaihobby a while back.. I use them quite often when TamiyaUSA is out of stock.

Used to save a lot of money ordering from them as well when $1 was 120 yen. Now $1 is 105 yen.. so its not that great of savings anymore.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

If your tires are badly coned, then it sounds like you need to dial-in more negative camber so the tires wear more evenly. I'm not a believer in adjusting the camber for maximum grip, I think that's the job of the shocks, swaybars, roll-center adjustments, and tire compound. Camber should be adjusted to achieve even tire-wear based on your driving style.
The tires are actually coning on the inside. Usually on the front wheels. I think it has to do with the inside wheel slipping while turing. I will try heavier diff grease up front to see if that reduces spin. I opened up the front diff a while ago to find the shock oil was all gone.

Last edited by 4roller; 07-25-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 4roller
I bought the Tamiya #42102 dampers. These come with 1 clear silicone o ring per damper. The rebuild kit you show from Tower is the same as comes with inside the shock. I guess I need to find me some silicone o -rings 3mmx6mm.
Tamiya doesn't sell the clear one by themselves.. red ones however are available

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXGG96&P=K

These clear ones from X-ray will work

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=7521

You can also use kyosho p3 red o-rings

https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho-...oorg03/p151058
Old 07-27-2016, 12:08 AM
Tech Addict

Default Diff shimming

So today I found all this play in the rear diff. I wondered why, so I took it apart.

It turns out even with the metal gear upgrade, there is some play in the out drives. I tightened it up with a 0.2mm 5mm inner diameter washer/shim. Basically the washer goes on top of the bigger washer and you fit the pin back into its hole to hold the bevel gear, thus removing slop in the out drive. The extra play in the diff isn't completely gone because the meshing of the inner bevels actually is machined with a tad of extra tollerence. It is far better now. I also packed it full of 900cst silicone oil. This being the rear diff. That should be fine.

I'll redo the front like this when I get the 100,000 CST oil coming in the mail.

Aside:
No mater how awesome your car is tuned. Be it tight with shims, shock and springs perfect suspension, o ringed ball joints, if your tires are crap, the car is just going to handle unpredictably.

I've gotten to the point that the inner parts of my tires have worn to the bead mold.

It spins out almost everytime when I drop the power. That and my driveway is mega dusty. Hah.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:54 AM
Tech Champion

Be careful not to mess up the gear mesh by shimming the diff gears unevenly. Open the diff after a couple months and check to see if the teeth are wearing evenly, instead of wearing more on the inside or outside edges; if they are wearing unevenly, you may need to remove the shims behind the output gears and insert shims behind the spider gears instead.

Anyway, I think your crusade against play is going to start causing problems eventually. I went on the same crusade and I started to have trouble with the suspension binding-up because dust was getting between the shims and jamming suspension parts together. Also, as the outdrives wear, play will develop between the outdrives and the axle dogbones, and at that point it won't matter matter how tight the diffs are.

Regarding the oil that leaked out of the diffs: There are aluminum caps for the TA-06's rear diff, which is the same as the XV-01's diffs. Those aluminum caps don't flex when you tighten the screws that hold the diff together, so the aluminum caps provide a better seal. Also, there are orange outdrive O-rings used on TRF gear-diff that are supposed to be better at maintaining a seal than the black O-rings that come with the XV-01.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Tech Addict

Be careful not to mess up the gear mesh by shimming the diff gears unevenly. Open the diff after a couple months and check to see if the teeth are wearing evenly, instead of wearing more on the inside or outside edges; if they are wearing unevenly, you may need to remove the shims behind the output gears and insert shims behind the spider gears instead.

Anyway, I think your crusade against play is going to start causing problems eventually. I went on the same crusade and I started to have trouble with the suspension binding-up because dust was getting between the shims and jamming suspension parts together. Also, as the outdrives wear, play will develop between the outdrives and the axle dogbones, and at that point it won't matter matter how tight the diffs are.

Regarding the oil that leaked out of the diffs: There are aluminum caps for the TA-06's rear diff, which is the same as the XV-01's diffs. Those aluminum caps don't flex when you tighten the screws that hold the diff together, so the aluminum caps provide a better seal. Also, there are orange outdrive O-rings used on TRF gear-diff that are supposed to be better at maintaining a seal than the black O-rings that come with the XV-01.
I will definitely be looking to getting some better o rings. The black ones work, but yes, they are kind of hard and dont seal as well as the silicone ones.

There is still some good mesh with the diff, not too tight. I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple months.

New mounted radial tires rims and foam inserts from eBay China for 5$ coming in a couple weeks. I will see how good they are vs the HPIs

Honesty I am not expecting much for 5 dollars. But they will be good enough for full throttle street bashing.

I lost my grub screws in the rear sway after taking apart my diff and forgetting to tighten them up. But I am finding no rear sway helps with keeping the back end from wildness.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:46 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah, that's why I have the hardest swaybar on the front and the softest one on the rear. The rear doesn't need a swaybar to make it behave, but I wanted significantly less body-roll despite using soft long-travel shocks, and the only way to reduce body-roll as much as I wanted without massive understeer was to have swaybars on both ends of the car instead of just the front.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:09 AM
Tech Addict

Anyway, I think your crusade against play is going to start causing problems eventually. I went on the same crusade and I started to have trouble with the suspension binding-up because dust was getting between the shims and jamming suspension parts together.
You are very right. It started happening. I started seeing some binding in some suspension arms. My streets are hella dirty. Black soot can be blown off the car ever time I drive it. I guess super tight is for carpet and indoor tracks. Or someone with a meticulous cleaning regime.

Taking apart the suspension on this car is a pain. So maybe I live with .2mm of play 😄

I'll take out those shims when my diff fluid arrives. Or Maybe I buy myself an air compressor?
Old 07-30-2016, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

So I got my diff fluid and rebuilt the front end with 60k. It is now plenty sticky up front, and slows down the diff by ~70%. It's to the point where if you spin the diff, it spins freely, but sometimes rotates the motor into the next magnet pole.

Driving with this ultra dense diff fluid is different. It definitely pulls the car where you point the tires, but sometimes (with my dusty streets) a little too much fish tailing. I learned to tone down my turns so that I'd keep all 4 wheels under traction. The front mount motor and 4wd really like turns under smooth power. I guess you could say that with all 4wd cars really. 😄

Instead up pulling out shims, I just put a drop of 3-in-1 oil on the hinge pivot points. It works like magic. This is what I usually do with my bicycle parts. Yeah it attracts dirt, but only on the surface and can be easily wiped clean. The suspension moves freely, and should remain so even when a little dirty.

I had been toying with the idea of buying a compressor to clean my workbench and car after every run. I even went to the Home Depot and had the thing in hand. Lucky my wife was there with me and said to reconsider, or get a smaller one. I came home a little disappointed, but then remembered that my friend said I could use the shop vacum output blower. Man, does it blow. It's a little loud yeah, but it gets the job done quite well. My car has never been so clean. I'd vacum, but sometimes I have little screws everywhere. Anyway, it works well. No more buying those throw away air canisters.

Suspension, now I don't know if you all agree, but this car drives pretty well on road with the suspension jacked up to rally height. I put the street tires on (24mm USGT Ride radials) with the CVA dampers with the long ends. It's great! I might just keep this car riding high. It pulls turns just as well as when the suspension is dropped.

The tires and wheels I am trying now are $25-30 from TQ Racing. I would say they aren't as nice as HPIs D-compound x-patterns but they are less expensive. I will see how long they last.

Does anyone else drive with 24mm wide tires? I have yet to find an amazing set of tarmac/rally tires that will last. The quest continues.

I am still loving this chassis.

Last edited by 4roller; 08-02-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

Driving with the tail swinging out is great fun, though. Just like a real rally car showing off for the spectators. The oversteer is very controllable on this car.

If you keep oiling the suspension shims on a regular basis, the oil working its way out from between the shims should keep the shims clean. You have to wipe the excess oil away after pretty much every run though. I'm too lazy to do that, so I live with a little slop instead.

The long dampers have the same ride height as the stock dampers with the long lower eyelets attached. You have to buy different shock towers to use the long dampers, but the car handles cracks and bumps SO well because the wheels have the full range of travel instead of having the shocks bottom-out while the chassis is still well above the ground.

I like HPI V-Groove Pro Compound tires for on-road use. I have them on multiple cars now. HPI Super Radials are also pretty good, but not as soft and grippy as the V-Grooves; the Super Radials don't really start to grip well until you wear the shine off them and get them warm, whereas the V-Grooves are good to go immediately. And for rally use I love HPI's Pirelli rally tires in S-compound. I use D-compound on my RS4 rally car because it's so much heavier, but even with the harder rubber, the Pirelli tread has so much mechanical grip that they still work well as long as the pavement isn't super-smooth. Those are all 26mm though.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

Wow. I finally found an empty parking lot (all be it across town) that has perfectly smooth black tarmac. The security guard kicked me out after 10 mins but.... During that time it was ear to ear grins. This cars handling is awesome. I was power sliding perfect 90 degrees turns with no spinning out. Dust was getting kicked up like dukes of hazard style. I am running a 12 degree turbo, which isn't peak, but i am balancing heat vs top speed, it was pretty fast. Plenty fun. 4wd handling is great, I am ready to race Forget tire sauce, getting sideways is very realistic and entertaining.

I also picked up a 190mm HPI BMW M3 GT body for $25 (way cheaper than online with shipping) at a local hobby shop which has hundreds of bodies! I think the owner just bought in bulk and doesn't sell them fast enough. Looks like some of them have been there since the late 90s. One minor thing, I found out though, that the real M3 GT touring cars are actually only RWD, but whatever.

GT touring car and rally car all in one chassis. Yes!

Oh yeah, I was on eBay, and saw a bunch of China sellers selling HPI pirelli knock offs for 12$ with shipping. Rims, foams and tires. 4 pieces. They are of unknown compound but whatevers. I might try. All this stuff comes from China anyway. The ride tires/rims I have are pretty good. But look kind of small. I wonder what 31mm tires all around would be like?
Old 08-01-2016, 01:22 PM
Tech Adept

I'm just testing one of these Pirelli knock-offs made by Austar, together with couple other tires made by the same brand (there's a spanish site listing them, but I can't post links). As far as I can tell, they are not bad. The "Pirelli" tire is in fact very decent on wet tarmac, plus my source has red and blue tires as well (which looks kind of cool, especially red ones combined with GT86 Gazoo body).

I also have [Austar ATTACK + ELEGANCE G, which seem to work well on dry tarmac (better than "Pirelli"). I'm going to buy couple more Austars to see what they can do (my price is $14 per 4 complete wheels). I will report back what I will find.

I can compare them to HPI X-Patterns, Fastrax Rally Blocks, and Ripmax Rally Blocks. I'm thinking about buying one set of HPI Pirelli S compound for reference, but people who race XV-01s around me say that it doesn't worth the money. Unfortunately I can't buy HPI V-Groove Pro or Super Radials at the moment, as the local HPI distributor is not selling them.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:14 AM
Tech Addict

Does anyone know what tires are in the very first picture of this thread? Page 1. First post? They look like some sort of realistic radial.

Bodies:
Today I masked off my new HPI BMW M3 GT body. I messed up making holes, 10mm off, and had to redo 4 holes. Ugh. Compared to the Tamiya body, this one is a little wider, and those 24mm wide wheels i have, are looking pretty inset. Color scheme, I am thinking a 2 tone metallic blue with white hood, roof and trunk panels with black stripes that follow the hood,roof, and trunk contours. I don't know what it will turn out like, but will probably start painting tomorrow. More to come.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.