Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 02:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
The HobbyWing WP1080 is a great ESC. I'm slowly replacing all my other 2S/3S brushed ESCs with it.
It is indeed the most feature loaded brushed esc at this price range. Since you got this, is it ok if I ask a couple of questions?

Do you use it without a fan? Does it get warm?

What is the initial start and brake force? Is it like a throttle curve?

I am more interested in having this in a crawler to be honest or maybe in an m-chassis project in the near future.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use it without a fan. It gets warm, but not hot.

The initial start and brake force are programmable. I have mine set to 12.5% and 10%, respectively. This seems to be enough initial force to overcome the internal friction in a brushed motor with stiff brush springs.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just got an XV-01 kit! Used to have a DF03RA but sold it long ago. Need a motor and esc and I want to stick with Castle. Has anyone fit the new line of sensored motors? Does the esc fit in the chassis with that fan on it? Looking at a 5700kv. I want speed and off road capabilities so hopefully 5700 will be right. What are your opinions? Also looking at the non sensored sv3.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:31 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evetsyelspih
Just got an XV-01 kit! Used to have a DF03RA but sold it long ago. Need a motor and esc and I want to stick with Castle. Has anyone fit the new line of sensored motors? Does the esc fit in the chassis with that fan on it? Looking at a 5700kv. I want speed and off road capabilities so hopefully 5700 will be right. What are your opinions? Also looking at the non sensored sv3.
5700KV seem pretty darn high to me. I am not familiar with the gearing options on a XV-01 but I would look at something like a 17.5T or a 13.5T depending on what you are looking to do. If you plan on using the car mostly off road I would look at the 17.5T as it will give you plenty of power for stage running but also be decently fast on tarmac as long as you can gear it appropriately.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-23-2018, 07:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run ~4000KV motors in all of my 1/10-scale RCs, except the rock crawlers. It allows a nice wide range of gearing options.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Evetsyelspih
5700kv is way to rough for the XV-01, you will kill it completely. I'd go 17.5T max. I had a 3500KV uncensored in my and it stripped both the gears and the diff in no time. Changed back to good old Sport Tuned now.

K.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Good info thanks guys. Maybe I'll consider the 4600. Definitely want Castle though. I want to use the B link system for it.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Newby with Lancia Delta XV 01 kit calling in...

Hi all,

Been crawling through the posts as on a recent trip to Tokyo i traveled back 20yrs and bought myself another R/C car whilst checking out the Tamiya Plamodel Factory, in Shimbashi (Minato).. it's been a while so please be kind. And if I have missed anything obvious I apologize in advance.. I basically impulse bought a Lancia Delta XV-01 kit.. as it was an impulse buy with the wife waiting by I sort of just went along with what the salesman with very limited English fluency was telling me..

I am starting from scratch as have none of my old kit (I used to have a Manta Ray) so I purchased the Delta kit (includes the 540 base type motor) and a FineSpec 2.4G Electric RC Drive Set Radio Control System with ESC which includes the ESC Tamiya TEU-105 BK and some basic Ni-CD 1300 battery...

So the questions before I start the build are.. is there any minimum upgrades i should envisage.. I do not plan to race the car.. would just want something of good quality and versatile to be used on tarmac, dirt, light offroad.. Would like to keep things simple to start with and not venture into too much mods aside from hop-ups upgrades. But wanted to do it in one go rather than upgrade bit by bit..

So far from reading on the forum I could infer that the following are recommended for a build that can stand test of time :

- 54515 XV-01 Assembly Univ Shaft - Front
- 54516 XV-01 Assembly Univ Shaft - Rear
- 54376 + 54377 XV-01 Aluminum separate susp mount (front and rear)
- 2x 54379 Aluminum susp mount (front and rear)
- 42102 TRF dampers with 54465 springs
- 54514 Stabilizer Set (Front & Rear)

Unsure about :
54428 TA-06 Steel Bevel Gears + 54378 XV-01 Slipper Clutch given i will be running the standard 540 motor to begin with at least..

Also the basic Ni-CD 1300 battery could be source of frustration given I think it provides only smth like 6-7 min with the 540 engine.. so was thinking about a modest upgrade to something like a Floureon 7.2v 3500mAh NiMH.

What are people's thought on the above ? And sorry again if asking redundant questions.. tried to get as much info from the previous posts as possible.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kometkamerat
5700kv is way to rough for the XV-01, you will kill it completely. I'd go 17.5T max. I had a 3500KV uncensored in my and it stripped both the gears and the diff in no time. Changed back to good old Sport Tuned now.

K.
Can I ask what kind of battery you running with the Sport Tuned motor ? looking for something reasonable which is not the basic 1300 i was given in the basic pack..
Old 05-28-2018, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rosino
Hi all,

Been crawling through the posts as on a recent trip to Tokyo i traveled back 20yrs and bought myself another R/C car whilst checking out the Tamiya Plamodel Factory, in Shimbashi (Minato).. it's been a while so please be kind. And if I have missed anything obvious I apologize in advance.. I basically impulse bought a Lancia Delta XV-01 kit.. as it was an impulse buy with the wife waiting by I sort of just went along with what the salesman with very limited English fluency was telling me..

I am starting from scratch as have none of my old kit (I used to have a Manta Ray) so I purchased the Delta kit (includes the 540 base type motor) and a FineSpec 2.4G Electric RC Drive Set Radio Control System with ESC which includes the ESC Tamiya TEU-105 BK and some basic Ni-CD 1300 battery...

So the questions before I start the build are.. is there any minimum upgrades i should envisage.. I do not plan to race the car.. would just want something of good quality and versatile to be used on tarmac, dirt, light offroad.. Would like to keep things simple to start with and not venture into too much mods aside from hop-ups upgrades. But wanted to do it in one go rather than upgrade bit by bit..

So far from reading on the forum I could infer that the following are recommended for a build that can stand test of time :

Unsure about :
54428 TA-06 Steel Bevel Gears + 54378 XV-01 Slipper Clutch given i will be running the standard 540 motor to begin with at least..

Also the basic Ni-CD 1300 battery could be source of frustration given I think it provides only smth like 6-7 min with the 540 engine.. so was thinking about a modest upgrade to something like a Floureon 7.2v 3500mAh NiMH.

What are people's thought on the above ? And sorry again if asking redundant questions.. tried to get as much info from the previous posts as possible.
looks like a good list of upgrades for the XV01. You probably won’t need the TRF shocks at this stage as the kit ones are perfectly fine. The trf ones are smoother and more adjustable but it’s not essential, same for the rear universal shafts.

as to battery, yes get a 3000+ mah as that will give you much better run times
Old 05-29-2018, 03:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Qatmix

looks like a good list of upgrades for the XV01. You probably won’t need the TRF shocks at this stage as the kit ones are perfectly fine. The trf ones are smoother and more adjustable but it’s not essential, same for the rear universal shafts.

as to battery, yes get a 3000+ mah as that will give you much better run times
Thanks for the tips.. dropped the sway bars (anti-roll bars here in the UK), TRF shocks and springs for now and went for the rest.. ordered from RCMart as they seemed to be the only ones with decent prices and stock.. but subsequently read mixed review on them.. let's hope for the best I really want to start this build !
Old 05-29-2018, 04:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm in the process of building mine now. Fun build!
Old 05-30-2018, 02:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool Beach run

I took mine to the beach! (I´m not allowed to post picture yet) It was a lot of fun. The brushed Tamiya sports tuned got VERY hot though. The wheels on it are a little big, and I put an extra pin in the pinion gear so it was expected.

I found the punch and top speed a little lacking. I am considering a more powerful motor, just to be able to run uncontrollably fast if I want :-)
Old 05-30-2018, 02:49 AM
Tech Master

Hi all,

Unsure about :

I would advise to skip the trf dampers. The ones that come with the kit are fine. Investing in springs and shock fluids would be much more effective.

I would also absolutely recommend not to skip on the slipper clutch, unless you are planning to drive the car purely onroad. See this as a way to further protect your drivetrain.

I would also say that you do not really need the ta-06 bevel gears unless the stock ones need replacement. I have been running my car with very thick fluids for a long time and the gears don't show any concerning wear. I also know a few onroad racers that prefer the plastic gears on their ta-05/ta-06 cars instead of the metal gears, due to weight savings, and these guys drive hard!

The stabilizers will help your car handle much, much better and still retain the scale driving characteristics. I would also recommend that you use the stabilizers stopper (53827)

With the savings, I would recommend investing in a better ESC and ideally a Lipo battery. The offerings from hobbywing are excellent, lipo compatible and relatively inexpensive. I run a brushed 23t setup and I get around 45 min of drive time on a pack! If you are afraid of the whole Lipo thing, get the best nimh you can. There are inexpensive offering with very good specs. Also a good charger is also not a bad idea, since it will charge fast and help the batteries survive longer.

Last but not least, I would recommend investing on some better wheels tires. HPI pirelli rally tires have soooooo much more grip than the stock rally block tires and they are also not half bad on asphalt. There are some other rally tire offerings but I only have experience with these. The stock tires have some applications where they are a bit better because of the aggressive tread eg. muddy/wet dirt and snow.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:52 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the tips.. dropped the sway bars (anti-roll bars here in the UK), TRF shocks and springs for now and went for the rest.. ordered from RCMart as they seemed to be the only ones with decent prices and stock.. but subsequently read mixed review on them.. let's hope for the best I really want to start this build !
You are in the UK, right? If yes, be sure to check tamico.de. They are the best tamiya dealer here in Germany, if not in entire Europe. Their selection of items is very good, prices are good and they ship in the UK with very reasonable prices and delivery times. (I am no way affiliated with them)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.