Spektrum with M8 or Helios?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spektrum with M8 or Helios?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Tech Initiate

I had an M8 and I now have a Helios. The M8 was great until i started getting glitching problems, but my receiver was broken, before that i didn't really have glitching problems, so i bought a new radio instead of buying a new receiver. I have the Helios with the drop down and it's comfortable, but I tried a friends M8 again and it felt just as comfortable. The only reason I like the Helios more is because the receiver is tiny and fits nice and clean on my car.

I agree with Lickrim, how many pros use the Spektrum beside Todd Hodge? I would like to say, do you think you'll see many pros using the Spektrum at the next Reedy Race?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Default maybe

the first guy that says it sucks you wont see it for rest of the event. ..........it was cool for a second
Old 04-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by JRX-S Bill
axel,

I hear you about the "feels better"; but, I have some feedback that the M8 "performs better".

So, it sounds like it is "feels better" vs. "performs better" (like the beer commercial)...he, he...

Anyone have experience with both radios...with or without the Spektrum???
I've had both, but only the Helios with the spektrum system.

My opinion... I don't really like the looks of the helios, but the balance is better than the M8 IMO. And, I LOVE the Helios with the spektrum system. I quickly got used to the new balance (without the large antennae), and I actually like it more, as it doesn't feel as heavy with all that dead weight hanging out in front of my hand.
As far as adjustments, the helios seems to have more, but it really just has more selections in the menu to choose from. Selecting and adjusting some settings has a few more small steps than the M8, but I've never had to spend time with the manual once I got past the initial setup of the system.

So overall, I like the Helios better than the M8. It's a nice radio. Good feel, solid fit and finish, nice balance.

Last edited by cartmen34; 04-13-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by DTran
I agree with Lickrim, how many pros use the Spektrum beside Todd Hodge? I would like to say, do you think you'll see many pros using the Spektrum at the next Reedy Race?
Lots of the pros have existing contracts to use their sponsor's electronic equipment...including transmitters and/or receivers. Virtually impossible for them to show up at a major event with anything else than what pays the bills.

Been sponsored...Deems da rules!
Old 04-14-2005, 12:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Lots of the pros have existing contracts to use their sponsor's electronic equipment...including transmitters and/or receivers. Virtually impossible for them to show up at a major event with anything else than what pays the bills.

You prove a very good point.

I personally like the Spektrum. The more people that run Spektrums, the less I have to worry about someone being on the same channel as me.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have always used the KO mars/Helios range more or less because it was what I started with. But before I went to the helios I did look around at what else there was and I did not like the menu system on any of them.

I also agree that the helios feels great, and I have yet to get the dropdown wheel. I do however use my own custom steering wheel as I don't like the foam one (size or feel).
Old 04-14-2005, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That is my point exactly.
who does Hodge work for and is sponcered from. Losi which has major stock in Horizon (spektrum) or Losi owns Horizon. Which is no wonder why he uses it. All the pro (well almost allt he Pros) have sponcers who are in the Transmitter/Reciever business....Kinda like Kinwald and Novak....Kinda can't run a spektrum with a Novak reciever right...Man before people say something silly like the Spektrum sucks or it is slow, needs to go to a place like SoCal where nearly 60% of the racers are using Spektrum becasue of three things,
1) It is convienant (i.e. you don;t have to go to the freq clip board)
2) YOU DON'T GET GLITCHED "PERIOD"
3) The repsounce is there (it is fast enough for TC it is fast enough for everything else) (If Todd Hodge can wield his Car with percision don't you think you can too?)

So which is better the M8 or the Helios...I have used both.
The M-8 Pros.
it is easy to use
it is easy to get help with
it holds more car memory (well only in stock mode)(Helios has a external memory upgrade)

The M-8s cons
It is top heavy
the Battery tray is junk
if you even nock it over it starts to glitch
the batterytray clip is ineffiecant.
It is do to be replaced at the end of this year or early next year.

Helios Pros
It is lighter than any other radio in its class
it has a drop down wheel option
it is very comfortable (due to being very balanced)
the receiver that comes with it is very small (if fact the smallest out there)
It has more options including a very cool ring tone if you accidently leave on your radio (mine plays the itchy and scratchy theme song)

Cons
it does require some getting use to the menus and features
is more expensive than the M8 (well for now till the M11 comes out)
Some say it looks to funky. (I like the looks of mine)

Just my thoughts and opinions.
About the Spektrum....I say quit player hatin'
It is the best thing since Titanium screw kits and synthized frequencies.
My $0.02 take em or leave em.
Stephen <><
Old 04-14-2005, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One of my beefs with the M8-though I loved the navigation and other things was that when you changed the dual rate with the thumb wheel-it changed it for EVERY model in your radio. And the other thing that is getting a bit fuzzy now was if you reset your steering trim-your EPA's would be off. THose two things were stupid and they Airtronics didnt seem to think much of them as they didnt make running changes to fix them.

I love my Helios-both in navigating through menus, and makng adjustments, balance.

The Spektrum seems to be bulletproof now-so its going in my Helios for sure. Maybe when my check from Uncle Sam comes in I joke all the time at our local track that the most hard core guys who always run-are ALL on the same Damn frequency. How the heck does that happen ever week???
Old 04-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
That is my point exactly.
who does Hodge work for and is sponcered from. Losi which has major stock in Horizon (spektrum) or Losi owns Horizon. Which is no wonder why he uses it. All the pro (well almost allt he Pros) have sponcers who are in the Transmitter/Reciever business....Kinda like Kinwald and Novak....Kinda can't run a spektrum with a Novak reciever right...Man before people say something silly like the Spektrum sucks or it is slow, needs to go to a place like SoCal where nearly 60% of the racers are using Spektrum becasue of three things,
1) It is convienant (i.e. you don;t have to go to the freq clip board)
2) YOU DON'T GET GLITCHED "PERIOD"
3) The repsounce is there (it is fast enough for TC it is fast enough for everything else) (If Todd Hodge can wield his Car with percision don't you think you can too?)

So which is better the M8 or the Helios...I have used both.
The M-8 Pros.
it is easy to use
it is easy to get help with
it holds more car memory (well only in stock mode)(Helios has a external memory upgrade)

The M-8s cons
It is top heavy
the Battery tray is junk
if you even nock it over it starts to glitch
the batterytray clip is ineffiecant.
It is do to be replaced at the end of this year or early next year.

Helios Pros
It is lighter than any other radio in its class
it has a drop down wheel option
it is very comfortable (due to being very balanced)
the receiver that comes with it is very small (if fact the smallest out there)
It has more options including a very cool ring tone if you accidently leave on your radio (mine plays the itchy and scratchy theme song)

Cons
it does require some getting use to the menus and features
is more expensive than the M8 (well for now till the M11 comes out)
Some say it looks to funky. (I like the looks of mine)

Just my thoughts and opinions.
About the Spektrum....I say quit player hatin'
It is the best thing since Titanium screw kits and synthized frequencies.
My $0.02 take em or leave em.
Stephen <><

Probaly the best comment yet Mr. Shookie.

Yeah the spektrum does not suck it's proven to save more battery life, less glitching, smaller antenas, and the free frequencies. It's just that no point of buying one yourself if everyone in your track has one, except for like 5 guys.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

So... Jrx-s bill... What's it going to be...lol . *Helios* cough*
The 3pk is a very good radio as well.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by axel
So... Jrx-s bill... What's it going to be...lol . *Helios* cough*
The 3pk is a very good radio as well.
I wanted to resolve the issue before building my new JRX-S later this month; however, I don't yet see a compelling reason to buy the radio, transmitter and 4-5 receivers YET.

Will try to play with an M8 and Helios radio this weekend. Going to Speedworld on Saturday and RCCAR on Sunday.

Really appreciate all the thoughty input.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Tech Addict

Default clueless

when you buy you new system and you cant get around the track,
go and change your car a million times its all ways the spekrum,
do a side by side comparison you tell me what sucks, you'll be waiting for frequency clips after the first battery pack