Wiki Posts
Search

Thunder Tiger TS2e RWD Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caaraa
This should be the new USVTA spec chassis!

Well lets see how well it works first If it handles anything like my F1 car it should be a flippin' blast to drive. My TS2e should be here Thursday. Now to decide if I wanna try it box stock, or immediately put in my USVTA electronics.

-melon
Old 11-27-2012, 05:12 AM
Tech Regular

I built the Mustang to be a VTA car. It is to light and 2WD so it's not legal. Don
Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DLS II
I built the Mustang to be a VTA car. It is to light and 2WD so it's not legal. Don
I realize it's not USVTA legal. That's not what I'm trying to accomplish here. I want a vintage trans am car that closer resembles a 1:1 car in handling. This thing might handle like complete garbage, that's to be determined.

If it ends up handling great, and people locally prefer it for the vintage classes, so be it

-melon
Old 11-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

It handels pretty well, it helps having a slipper. Having more cars like the TS2e would be very helpful to establish a viable class. Don
Old 11-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Well I received the car today and to no ones surprise, it's definitely cheap. A lot of phillips hardware, and the front springs seem like they could be much smaller. The rear shocks feel great, and the plastics don't seem too shabby. The car comes mostly with bushings which I wasn't stoked about, but I plan on replacing them anyway. The stock tires are actually a pretty soft compound and the body looks surprisingly good for an easter egg. The battery tray is nice and fits full sized hard case square LIPOs. It also includes some tabs to strap batteries in. The bell crank uses rods that have some slop as expected, but seems like it could easily be improved with ball ends and links. Overall, once the bearings are out of the way I think I'm satisfied running as-is. Lots of semi-inexpensive ways to improve it, but not sure any of them are even necessary at this point. I'm hoping I can find the time to have it torn apart and back together before this weekend.

-melon
Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Default Some photos

You can see in the photos that a large 6200 2S square edge pack fits in the car perfectly.

I haven't ran it on carpet yet, but on asphault it actually drove pretty well. The stock servo is extremely slow. It wasn't that noticable while driving it on the street, but I'd wager you'd notice immediately on a track. On 2S it's not even remotely fast, definitely looking forward to seeing how much better a 25.5 will be.

I spent about 10-12 bucks buying bearings for it. Even the bell crank has bearings now Looks like I'll get to run it at the track this Sunday. Will report then.

-melon
Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 AM
Tech Regular

Looks good!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

So I finally got around to running this thing on an outdoor track. I ultimately gave up on the idea of using stock electronics as the steering servo was unbelievably slow. I ended up throwing in a bunch of random budget gear I had laying around. The motor ended up being a 4000KV sensorless setup that I used with the stock gearing on a 2S LIPO.

To my surprise, the car actually handled very well. As a basis of comparison, I also race 21.5T Formula 1. The TS2e didn't suffer any of the traction issues the other RWD cars were experiencing, even though it had twice the KV. I'm not suggesting that this car with identical electronics would be able to best a 4WD touring car, simply that it seems to work well so far. Next step is to try it with spec electronics and tires and see how it stacks up.

-melon

P.S. This was with the car in bone stock configuration. No alterations were made to spring pre-load, oil etc. The only changes to the car were bearings and electronics.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Anybody else think this could be a nice little oval car ? Slap a HPI Stocker body, stock car wheels and slick tires on it and you've got a great way to attract people towards oval racing. Maybe even a new class of Oval racing.
Let's face it...this pic from HPI looks pretty darned cool !!
Attached Thumbnails Thunder Tiger TS2e RWD Touring Car-hpi-stocker-body-pic.jpg  
Old 12-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Mine Arrived today

Only had the chance to take it out of the box. If time permits I may make an attempt to put my 21.5 in it for some USGT action. I believe the FWD are allowed to run less weight more like 1200. Not sure what this weighs yet but it's missing half of the parts so the USGT min may be possible. YES I KNOW USGT RULES STATE FWD NOT 2WD, but at the club level that shouldn't be a problem. This should be a blast to drive more like F1.

Melon, how did you ever make out with this in VTA? Did u run at a reduced weight?
Old 01-12-2015, 07:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Bearing list

I have not had a chance to run this yet, but I did manage to find some time to get it taken apart and order most of the bearings needed to replace all of the bushings. I missed the bell crank bushings until after I sent the order in so I will add those to the next one. Listed below is what I found and "should" be everything you need: Order what has an "*" to replace all of the bushings.

Front Wheels
Rear Wheels
*5mm x 11mm x 4mm Qty 8
Lay shaft also uses this size but the bearings are included. Qty 2

Diff Bearings are two different sizes. Inner and Outer.
Outer
*10mm x 15mm x 4mm Qty 2
Inner
*4mm x 7mm x 2.5mm Qty 2

Diff balls two different sizes thrust, and diff ring
Thrust balls
2mm(5/64) Qty 6
Diff Ring balls
3/32 Qty 12

Diff rings
16.85mm(.6635") x 23.43mm(.9225") The Inner diameter is critical. This is used to locate the ring. Not sure if this is a common size or not. I need to look around a bit.

Bell Crank
*4mm x 8mm x 3mm Qty 2

Belt tensioner bearing is included I was unable to determine outer dia.
3mm x ??mm x 4mm Qty 1

Drive Belt since I'm at it.
UNITTA 186-3M-4 350J 120

Let me know if I missed anything.