Wiki Posts
Search

Post of the Week

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by EddieO
Well.....

ABS is a braking system.....helping you retain traction for consistent braking so the car does not lose control. While it does have a traction element to it, it's a different system all on its own.....

Traction control on the other hand is based on wheel spin during accerlation.....you are starting not, stopping. If you can control power output to provide the optimal amount of grip and accelaration.....you've got a functional traction control system.

Long and the short of it....thats why my ferrari has both traction control AND ABS, as do lots of other top sports cars....they are two totally different things. If they weren't, companies would not design and produce them as two different systems....

Later EddieO

This is a really simple concept, the terms "ABS" and "Traction control" are just labels. Don't let them confuse you.

Obviously they are different systems, but they are basically doing the same thing in different directions. Both systems exist to optimize wheel slip in either acceleration (traction control) or deceleration (ABS). How are they totally different?

In road cars, deceleration is done by the brakes, while acceleration is performed by the engine, thus there are two names for the different systems, ABS for the braking system, Traction control for the engine/throttle system. In an R/C Car, however, both the braking and the acceleration are controlled by the motor. Their distinction is even less.

Traction control on the other hand is based on wheel spin during accerlation.....you are starting not, stopping.
Like I asked in my previous post, HOW does it detect wheel spin? Measuring the drivetrain/motor speed doesn't tell you if the tires are gripping or slipping. Having a sensor on the motor does NOT in itself provide enough information for traction control.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Regional Moderator

Regardless of how or if traction control/abs can be done. the point is ROAR just allowed brushless motors the option to explore it without having to go through inspection,price limits or limits on magnetic materials. Uneven playing field bought and paid for.

Boycott any company that is supporting someone running these prototype systems at the nat's.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

in responce to the very first post, ---- isn't that what they are already doing at most races anyway. don't most guys in the a main at major races have cherry picked batterys and motors now. i don't really see the difference. and no i'm not taking about races with hand out motors. but whos to say those weren't dyno'd and cherry picked also. i know i don't get to pick my motors they are assigned to me.

as far as this post goes,

------Considering I was the first response, there was no "entire" posts to read.... ------

it seems to me that you once again failed to read the post correctly.

----------Read the entire post before replying. -----------

this was not asking you to read the entire "thread" just the entire "post" (no "s")

just trying to help
Old 03-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Pro4Capece
Good One!! LMAO

Brant
Old 03-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Potato
Like I asked in my previous post, HOW does it detect wheel spin? Measuring the drivetrain/motor speed doesn't tell you if the tires are gripping or slipping. Having a sensor on the motor does NOT in itself provide enough information for traction control. [/B]
one way that is possible is by measuring amp draw and the motor speed. tho not the best or reliable or accurate way but very doable. actually many high school kids use them for robotic applications such as USFIRST. sum of you guys may know about this competition, sum wont. well im active in it and theres plenty to learn from it. you can create a automatic shifting tranny from input of wheelspeed, motorspeed, and amp draw. ive seen it myself takes plenty of programming skill tho. and for ABS, ive never really been able to have locked wheels with full brake. is this because of the settings of my speed controller? (i use an lrp sr) or what?
Old 03-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by greencactus3
one way that is possible is by measuring amp draw and the motor speed.
I said this before, this will not provide enough information for traction control! This only tells you how hard the motor is working, not the amount of slip the tires are experiencing.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Potato
I said this before, this will not provide enough information for traction control! This only tells you how hard the motor is working, not the amount of slip the tires are experiencing.
yea, the motor works harder when the wheels arent slipping. once it starts to slip the amps pulled goes down. yes i know its not that accurate. as i mentioned, but it does work.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Turtlemaster
in responce to the very first post, ---- isn't that what they are already doing at most races anyway. don't most guys in the a main at major races have cherry picked batterys and motors now. i don't really see the difference. and no i'm not taking about races with hand out motors. but whos to say those weren't dyno'd and cherry picked also. i know i don't get to pick my motors they are assigned to me.

as far as this post goes,

------Considering I was the first response, there was no "entire" posts to read.... ------

it seems to me that you once again failed to read the post correctly.

----------Read the entire post before replying. -----------

this was not asking you to read the entire "thread" just the entire "post" (no "s")

just trying to help
It wasn't necessary to quote a prior post and make a whole new thread out of it.... That is what I was getting at...

There are too many misconceptions regarding brushless....

Whether or not he WROTE the post, He QUOTED it....

In the end we still play with toy cars....

If anyone would like to resort to any kind of name calling, PM the person directly...
Old 03-19-2005, 11:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I felt it was necessary. My choice. Just as it was your choice to respond or not respond.

I'm upset by ROAR's choices in that they didn't seem to look very far ahead before they made this decision.