Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree8Likes

YOKOMO Touring Car BD-7

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If you are going to run a one piece front rear block then you need to get the proper front rear block that is designed to fit. These parts would be the same as that fitted to the BD5.

For carpet you want the 44.2 blocks front and rear. These are different part numbered for both.

Later,

Calvin.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caltek1
If you are going to run a one piece front rear block then you need to get the proper front rear block that is designed to fit. These parts would be the same as that fitted to the BD5.

For carpet you want the 44.2 blocks front and rear. These are different part numbered for both.

Later,

Calvin.
You run 44.2 blocks front and rear?

Don't you want sweep for better steering?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys , there are downstop o-rings in the partlist.
Is there someone who used them ?
I really have no idea where to instal these O-rings.

Should i push them on the setscrew for downstops ?

grtz
Old 01-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Kevin E.
Hey guys , there are downstop o-rings in the partlist.
Is there someone who used them ?
I really have no idea where to instal these O-rings.

Should i push them on the setscrew for downstops ?

grtz
Don't use them, the are for in the dampers under the piston.
Use only the droop scews.

MJ

PS, sent you a PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

Using one of you also center Balance Weight from Yokomo for the bd7
Old 01-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by peter.
Using one of you also center Balance Weight from Yokomo for the bd7
Hi Peter,

I use the center weight when i'm driving LRP CPX tires.
Because they aren't so heavy as the sorex or ride tires and otherwise my car does not weigh 1350gr.

many groetjes
PQ
Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What is arm sweep? If I switch. If I switch to a wider FF block will that give me more steering or less?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Racing4Evo
What is arm sweep? If I switch. If I switch to a wider FF block will that give me more steering or less?
Arm sweep is when your FF is wider than your FR. Consensus on RCTech and a few local experienced guys I've asked seems to be that it will give you more mid corner and exit steering. Although one person has said it gives more steering everywhere. So it might depend on how you do it.

My understanding and limited experience says that a wider front track width will give less agressive steering, and narrower front track width makes the car more aggressive. So I'd suspect that going with a wider FF (wider overall front width) will probably give you more middle and exit steering, without making the car much more aggressive, but going with a narrow FR (narrower overall front width) might give more middle and exit steering, combined with a more aggressive feel. That's pure speculation, though, as I've never personally tried arm sweep.

-Mike
Old 01-03-2013, 07:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I finally got my kit last night in the mail, at 7:30pm! I put my kids to sleep and went to work!

As i am building it, i am following tips i read on here, and also finding more things to suggest.

So far, i am disappointed with the ball cups, there is a lot of slack in there, they will be swapped for RPM units.

I put 2mm spacers in the rear hubs so when i bolt the wheel it won't squeeze the bearings and warp the hub. Also in the front, i put a 0.2mm shim that rests on the bearing race between the pin and bearing to remove the play in the CVD/universal.

Also for my spur gear, i filed down the screws so i can fit thicker units, there is now a little gap in between the pulley and screws, box stock it was actually touching and making it wobble.

I also rebuilt my rear diff, and i put lithium grease on the 2 o-rings to help seal the unit.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

I'm surprised you dislike the ball cups, I thought they are very good!

Your build looks very nice so far though, which spacer did you use in the rear hub? I was surprised the kit doesn't include them tbh.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The ball cups are a little loose, unless i am missing a step? do i have to pinch them?

For the spacers, i used 4 0.5mm shims, i tested with 3, then 5, and found 4 was just right to remove all the movement of the axel, it's tight, but no binding.

When my kids take their afternoon nap, i'll continue building it, i'm hoping to get it done by tonight so i can spend the day testing it tomorrow
Old 01-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

No, I paid them no attention at all, they're free but don't seem sloppy to me but if you know of something better then that's cool

Hope you have fun testing!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Just remember certain cars require a certain amount of "slop" as we call it to function properly.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I put the car back to stock, set it up with Umino's setup and mounted up T-Shox with Yokomo springs. Here's what I found so far in 17.5:

Arm sweep is good in the front. Helps mid-corner steering quite nicely without much tradeoff.

Car was slightly better with screw out of the top deck over the steering, but had a little more tendency to snap oversteer. Overall I think it's a worthy tradeoff, but maybe add it back if the car gets too much front bite as tires wear or grip comes up.

T-Shox seem like they might be amazing.

DCJ's in the rear were BAD! I tried them later in the day after I knew how the car was feeling, and they immediately introduced a feeling I did not like. A very unstable feel in the middle of the corner. The car rotated better through the center, but it was unpredictable and unpleasant to drive.

I removed the DCJ's from front and rear before today's testing so I could add them back in a controlled situation rather than start the day with them. I never got around to testing fronts since they're broken, but I assume they're okay there. Not a fan of them in the rear, however.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I put the car back to stock, set it up with Umino's setup and mounted up T-Shox with Yokomo springs. Here's what I found so far in 17.5:

Arm sweep is good in the front. Helps mid-corner steering quite nicely without much tradeoff.

Car was slightly better with screw out of the top deck over the steering, but had a little more tendency to snap oversteer. Overall I think it's a worthy tradeoff, but maybe add it back if the car gets too much front bite as tires wear or grip comes up.

T-Shox seem like they might be amazing.

DCJ's in the rear were BAD! I tried them later in the day after I knew how the car was feeling, and they immediately introduced a feeling I did not like. A very unstable feel in the middle of the corner. The car rotated better through the center, but it was unpredictable and unpleasant to drive.

I removed the DCJ's from front and rear before today's testing so I could add them back in a controlled situation rather than start the day with them. I never got around to testing fronts since they're broken, but I assume they're okay there. Not a fan of them in the rear, however.

So after installing the T-shox you noticed a diference rite away?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.