R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Eliminating Static Electricity (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/65045-eliminating-static-electricity.html)

scoobydo 03-02-2005 07:16 PM

Eliminating Static Electricity

What do you guys do (if anything) to prevent your EP car from creating a static field?
When I run on asphalt, the car builds such a charge that it becomes a dirt magnet.
I know you can just use compressed air to blow it clean,
but I was wondering if you could do something at the source to reduce the static electricity somewhat?

greencactus3 03-02-2005 07:49 PM

they do have those anti static sprays that work real well for clothes. dunno bout rc tho. is it really static that gets the dirt?

scoobydo 03-02-2005 08:18 PM

Originally posted by greencactus3
they do have those anti static sprays that work real well for clothes. dunno bout rc tho. is it really static that gets the dirt?
What else could it be? The dirt cakes on and stays there. And only on the conductive surfaces.
Sprays would ruin your electronics unles you sprayed the rolling chassis only.
Problem is, the spray would only last a couple of runs and then you would have to do it again.
I also want to figure it out because it would eliminate shorting out of equipment.
Anybody ever try grounding the car somehow?

Soviet 03-02-2005 08:23 PM

Originally posted by scoobydo
What else could it be? The dirt cakes on and stays there. And only on the conductive surfaces.
Sprays would ruin your electronics unles you sprayed the rolling chassis only.
Problem is, the spray would only last a couple of runs and then you would have to do it again.
I also want to figure it out because it would eliminate shorting out of equipment.
Anybody ever try grounding the car somehow?

I'd say it has more to do with the flux in the solder heating up and becoming sticky when load is applied to our solder joints.

Use denatured alcohol on all your solder joints and you'll notice alot less dirt buildup.

scoobydo 03-02-2005 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Soviet
I'd say it has more to do with the flux in the solder heating up and becoming sticky when load is applied to our solder joints.

Use denatured alcohol on all your solder joints and you'll notice alot less dirt buildup.

Its not just the batteries. The problem is with the chassis and most of the graphite parts. Since graphite is conductive and the charge has nowhere to go, it stays charged and attracts dirt.
Maybe I'm wrong, but what else could it be?

Lebatek 03-02-2005 08:44 PM

Static guard

We have used Static Guard for years when static electricity was as issue...

Just spray a light coating on the entire car (enough to coat but not enough to damage electronics...) and you'll notice less build up of dirt or carpet fuzz. An air compressor is handy though to blow off the remainder.

:D

scoobydo 03-02-2005 08:48 PM

Re: Static guard

Originally posted by Lebatek
We have used Static Guard for years when static electricity was as issue...

Just spray a light coating on the entire car (enough to coat but not enough to damage electronics...) and you'll notice less build up of dirt or carpet fuzz. An air compressor is handy though to blow off the remainder.

:D

The same kind used for clothes?

jw92656 03-11-2005 03:44 PM

Eliminating Static Electricity

There are a couple of posts covering this, but they pertain to the glitching in the radio when dealing with static, or the RF intererence it causes too. CA Glue the edges of the Carbon chassis. This seals the conductive carbon behind the glue thus eliminating the static build up your getting.