R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   UF1 STILL ALIVE AND WELL! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/643693-uf1-still-alive-well.html)

F N CUDA 07-06-2012 05:00 PM

UF1 STILL ALIVE AND WELL!

So what really happened during THIS current UF1 series that has managed to get everyone so uptight?

I feel it has become very aggressive, lots of contact thru all the heats.
I don't think it's always been this chaotic. Even on the carpet at hi speeds with tight lanes we've been able to keep our composure.

Afraid to say that it's quite possibly the points system this time around which we all know was experimental but has become very intense.
I've never been so bummed to have a DNF and I've had many thru out all of the previous UF1 series due to cheapin out and running "vintage" electronics but gettin away with em and actually yielding some good results regardless.
I've run ultra hot, medium warm and damn cold so far in this series but the DNF that was inevitable for me (and probably should have come sooner) was a huge let down. Even knowing that guys a lot faster than me have blown out earlier than this, for some reason, probably points, I'm bummin.
Tryin not to care but this season felt so god damn serious for some reason so, must apologize for showin the mangina. Sorry to all who witnessed. :(

I'm thinkin all the aggro driving is due to above scenario as well, no one wants to get passed or get held up. That combined with 10 car heats, which we have in the past avoided.

Charles, PLEASE don't give in. Hang in there til we get to run the program the way you have mentioned and it will all be good again.
Johnny directing the races, callin the shots, not mixing with club races ala UF1 only etc. etc...
CAN'T WAIT.

Here's a suggestion since we've seemed to reach a boiling point.
Have an early finale followed by an early new season run exactly the way you would really like to have it run. :sneaky:
Why wait til October then throw in the towel?
Too much at stake, shit man, the series is World Renowned!

You are the UF1 Ecclestone for cripes sake! Just do it or something else.

TPhalen 07-06-2012 05:18 PM

I'm here! UF1 talk. Let's rock!

iPearl 07-06-2012 05:35 PM

UF1 from Houston Also in the mix !!!
Dallas Austin Cypress & Houston here =)
We are growing also and still alive and kicking !!!

How do y'all do the Teching during the series ?

BIREL8 07-06-2012 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by TPhalen (Post 10944767)
I'm here! UF1 talk. Let's rock!

Don't give up Charles. I enjoy the new friends and old friends I have found running this series . I always look forward to the next one. You can't make everyone happy all of the time. Keep doing what you do . You have my support and everyone else that enjoy this series.

madjack 07-06-2012 06:27 PM

Regarding the recent rough driving:

Just spit-balling here...

If rough driving is still a topic of conversation???

How about bringing in a volunteer stewards to assist Johnny watching the heats? (car 4 is under investigation by the Stewards :o)

*Hack 1 - lose a lap
*Hack 2 and / or break another car in an overly aggressive pass - lose the heat

If there are potential punishments associated the driving style, it may help curtail the behavior going forward.

Thoughts?

TPhalen 07-06-2012 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by madjack (Post 10944967)
Regarding the recent rough driving:

Just spit-balling here...

If rough driving is still a topic of conversation???

How about bringing in a volunteer stewards to assist Johnny watching the heats? (car 4 is under investigation by the Stewards :o)

*Hack 1 - lose a lap
*Hack 2 and / or break another car in an overly aggressive pass - lose the heat

If there are potential punishments associated the driving style, it may help curtail the behavior going forward.

Thoughts?

Fine line here, especially with the close racing and open wheeled cars.

madjack 07-06-2012 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by TPhalen (Post 10944985)
Fine line here, especially with the close racing and open wheeled cars.

I get that and totally agree - with open wheels its not a question of if, but when it will happen. Just part of the class.

That said, do you think most of the UF1 racers can tell the difference between a racing incident thats not deserving of a penalty and being driven thru/over?

(nothing more frustrating than being patient and trying to make a clean pass for a couple of laps... getting that pass done... then being run over in the next corner)

texastc 07-06-2012 06:49 PM

Wow. I must have missed something. UF1 Rules. The Rc F1 world looks up to the UF1.

bertrandsv87 07-06-2012 07:18 PM

Uf1 is not juat well, it's growing !!!

FMW 07-06-2012 07:28 PM

F1 online is tonight at 10:00 pm
We are doing Singapore and Brazil.

BTW: I'm working on a follow up article that explains in great detail the F104 VII set up sheet. I hope all levels or F-1 racers can find it helpful.:p

Evoracer 07-06-2012 07:42 PM

It ain't over till it's over I guess. Lets hope for the best and maybe take a minute to remember this is all supposed to be fun ...first and foremost. No big paychecks, usually no trophies or pretty pit girls and God knows hardly anybody in your neighborhood is gonna look at you like a hero just because you win a RC car race.

katana 07-06-2012 08:43 PM

I’ve been following UF1 for sometime now. F1 has gotten my attention from being away for over 2 decades. I love how the scaled look, well organize, professionally run and well done website with up-to-date information. I do want to give kudos to the organizer(s), participants and track owner alike.

I hope the UF1 continue on for us drivers that want to join but also want to wait so that I’m “qualify “to race the series. On my end I do understand that with these cars being open wheels, driver needs to be able to at least drive the car around the track safely and consistently. Only after then I feel to move up to the “premier” class. Again that is just me.

As the UF1 series become more popular it will attract more and more new and seasoned racers. I know it is going to be tough to do but what about an idea of separate the series just like in F1. You have support race for beginners for example F3 or GP2? A slight change in technical rules from one series to another to differentiate the two or three series. At current driver count of 58, I’m sure you can divide those up in to different series somehow. This is solely my opinion, if this had been discuss before I do apologize. I’ve read through alot of pages but not all :D
Just my 2 cents, thanks for listening.
Nick

lightfoot 07-06-2012 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by FMW (Post 10945190)
F1 online is tonight at 10:00 pm
We are doing Singapore and Brazil.

OMG Singapore is hard... Brazil not to bad...

RedBullFiXX 07-06-2012 09:17 PM

Lightfoot

The Cog in the gears of UF1

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

eComet 07-06-2012 09:28 PM

Start afresh.

TPhalen 07-06-2012 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX (Post 10945486)
Lightfoot

The Cog in the gears of UF1

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Imagine that. A Honda 'commercial'.

RedBullFiXX 07-06-2012 09:41 PM

You're right T

This is probably more Lightfoot style

+ YouTube Video

What good is dreaming it, if you don't actually do it

F N CUDA 07-06-2012 09:44 PM

Kinda forgot another key ingredient in UF1's success while running at TQ, West Coast and Tamiya under the direction of Johnny 55 whom we groomed perfectly IMHO :sneaky:. (of course his natural race calling intensity must not be overlooked either, guy is excitement at the mike and that's fun for everyone!)
That extra ingredient was "seeding" which was pretty much spot on even before qualifying started.
The quick guys were together etc.
It took extra effort of course to seed the heats but when someone had been paying attention to current races, those top drivers, and most of the others, were easy to group together, even if a few had off days we knew where they belonged.

I'm repeating what we already know but the success of UF1 is due to the unique format, plain and simple and when it's not run according to the plan it can be a mess.

I do hope it will continue and gets to run as Charles has envisioned.

Some of the things I know he wanted to encorporate into next season:

1. All UF1 only events, no merging with club events. 25+ racers once in a while should make most onroad tracks happy to host.
2. Our own Superdirector Johnny 55 crackin the whip and keepin us in line as well as setting up the programs.
3. 15 minute mains with 3 pit stops, one stop in each 5 minute period.
There's more so let's stay positive and keep our fingers crossed.

robk 07-06-2012 09:44 PM

Lightfoot-
Keep your head up. You have come up with one of the coolest things I have seen in Rc. I wish I lived in California so I could race with the series.

It probably seems like you're putting up with a lot of crap for not a lot of reward, but your example is spawning new groups of racers and is known all over the world. That's pretty cool.

Believe me, I know what your going through.

racer x 1 07-06-2012 09:51 PM

I cant believe it! As im back on the fence for a V2 tamiya, the man responsible for my F1 attraction and involvement is looking to call it. :cry::cry: Lightfoot you have been Deemed the Godfather of F1 and it is you I cred for my return to On road. :( Please dont let the negative nancy's get to you, you have plenty of supporters and followers for your series to make it. :nod:

RRRoy23 07-06-2012 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by lightfoot (Post 10945464)
OMG Singapore is hard... Brazil not to bad...

i hope i get an invite

MDRTales 07-06-2012 10:19 PM

Psn-sonic291

xsracer 07-06-2012 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by BIREL8 (Post 10944834)
Don't give up Charles. I enjoy the new friends and old friends I have found running this series . I always look forward to the next one. You can't make everyone happy all of the time. Keep doing what you do . You have my support and everyone else that enjoy this series.

+1. Any you guys running T.Q. again this Sunday? Trying out the FGX for the first on carpet :eek:.Any set up tips please? F1 Rocks.

lightfoot 07-07-2012 12:16 AM

I appreciate all the kind words guys... The series just got too big for me but I am working on having it continue in some form after this season... I just need to step out of it completely and just be a racer , I'm no race director :D I can't handle the heat so I'm getting out of the kitchen...

Great racing tonight... My connection wasn't that great and I could hear everyone but I couldn't talk so I just unplugged my head phones so Atsuko could here you guys talk... apparently the conversation wasn't that exciting cause she fell asleep :lol:

I switched to the prime tire for the start of the 2nd race , then went to the option for the end... It was close racing with philathropy, he was catching up to me at the end , I was also running out of fuel for the last few turns...

off to bed......

pejota 07-07-2012 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Evoracer (Post 10945237)
God knows hardly anybody in your neighborhood is gonna look at you like a hero just because you win a RC car race.

Seriously, i never look at this guy as a hero!

ZING!

Evoracer 07-07-2012 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by pejota (Post 10946107)
Seriously, i never look at this guy as a hero!

ZING!

HEYYYYYYY !!!! Damn it....where's that "middle finger" smiley?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

dominick i. 07-07-2012 05:58 AM

UF1 New Jersey is now being organized.

www.uf1newjersey.com

lightfoot 07-07-2012 07:32 AM

Thank you Calvin Lee for all the hard work that went into building this car....
http://uf1series.com/_gallery/Cars_3.html

xsracer 07-07-2012 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by lightfoot (Post 10946366)

wow! nice work.now if only it can be made available to the public.:D

texastc 07-07-2012 08:00 AM

oh my.
I feel faint.

TPhalen 07-07-2012 09:19 AM

So when is that conversion available? :)

F N CUDA 07-07-2012 09:23 AM

That's one serious race car, I'd like to crash, eh, drive it. :lol:

Charles, hope you want to keep some kind of say in what goes on in the UF1 stuff. Always been the voice of reason and by far the most rational guy I know in RC racing. Peace and love and all that, we know.
Hope you get to sit back and take the ride like the rest of us but gonna need that voice to keep it fresh and real or it will loose some of the shine.
I'm sure you have a plan and I think I know who's gonna be involved in that plan and if I'm right it's gonna be incredible.
See ya soon man.

TPhalen 07-07-2012 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by dominick i. (Post 10946140)
UF1 New Jersey is now being organized.

www.uf1newjersey.com

Welcome to the party UF1 New Jersey! Enjoy the ride!

TPhalen 07-07-2012 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by lightfoot (Post 10945795)
I appreciate all the kind words guys... The series just got too big for me but I am working on having it continue in some form after this season... I just need to step out of it completely and just be a racer , I'm no race director :D I can't handle the heat so I'm getting out of the kitchen...

Great racing tonight... My connection wasn't that great and I could hear everyone but I couldn't talk so I just unplugged my head phones so Atsuko could here you guys talk... apparently the conversation wasn't that exciting cause she fell asleep :lol:

I switched to the prime tire for the start of the 2nd race , then went to the option for the end... It was close racing with philathropy, he was catching up to me at the end , I was also running out of fuel for the last few turns...

off to bed......

It was fun. Never playing either of those tracks, I'm happy I finished well in Brazil (even though you lapped me). I have Vettel and Sutil for spinning me out and nosing me into the wall. Put in some good laps after that but nothing compared to your hero run.

Singapore. Oi. Dreadful. I want a rematch on that track now that I know it better. ;)

Kevin CBR 07-07-2012 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by xsracer (Post 10945680)
+1. Any you guys running T.Q. again this Sunday? Trying out the FGX for the first on carpet :eek:.Any set up tips please? F1 Rocks.

Round #3 of Sean's Summer Series this Sunday at TQ. Usually getting 10+ F1's and there should be some FGX runners to help you with set-up and Sean probably knows what tires you need.

Panda

RRRoy23 07-07-2012 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by TPhalen (Post 10946736)
It was fun. Never playing either of those tracks, I'm happy I finished well in Brazil (even though you lapped me). I have Vettel and Sutil for spinning me out and nosing me into the wall. Put in some good laps after that but nothing compared to your hero run.

Singapore. Oi. Dreadful. I want a rematch on that track now that I know it better. ;)

it was fun racing last night except those AIs were brutal.

apenn 07-07-2012 01:35 PM

That looks terrific.

Northskate 07-07-2012 03:05 PM

Can we please keep UF1 around. Its the only reason I got into the RC sport. I enjoy racing one class all day. I can't always make it to every race but when I do I have a blast! Everyone I have met for the past 6 months have been top notch. I'm a big fan of UF1 and I look forward to many more years of racing. Keep UF1 alive and strong!

Oh yeah by the way Calvins car is sick!!!!!

TPhalen 07-07-2012 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Northskate (Post 10947369)
Can we please keep UF1 around. Its the only reason I got into the RC sport. I enjoy racing one class all day. I can't always make it to every race but when I do I have a blast! Everyone I have met for the past 6 months have been top notch. I'm a big fan of UF1 and I look forward to many more years of racing. Keep UF1 alive and strong!

Oh yeah by the way Calvins car is sick!!!!!

There may be a few changes but I'm pretty confident UF1 will stick around.

Big Daddy Cool 07-07-2012 06:27 PM

Exquisite! What parts were used to do the drivetrain conversion? Will that be available soon?

More power to UF1!!! RC F1's popularity has been on the rise and its good to have a group organizing races and setting standards.

Where i am, we have slowly nurtured F1 club racing by keeping it inexpensive, simple, and most importantly FUN. Mabuchi silver can and Formula Tuned motors give adequate and realistic speeds for us and allowed us to do multiple 15 minute mains after a 30 minute fastest single lap qualifying session. We have even done one hour enduros with mandatory pit stops for battery changes (no pit crew assist allowed) and those were among the best racing experiences we have had. Lately the club has expanded with recent races seeing attendances of 24-26 racers and it is still growing. .Moreover, newbies have been encouraged to join by making it easier for them to participate and making the class unintimidating. It is starting to become more of a challenge for the organizers as the group grows but we remain committed to keeping it inexpensive, simple and fun.

I encourage UF1 to keep doing what it does. The racers need organizers like you who will keep things sane and orderly so that the class will continue to flourish.