Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Com lathes

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 03:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Com lathes

I have been offered a brand new Hudy com lathe for £130 with a dimond tip it has only been used once as the guy brought it but is giving up racing. What are peoples opinions on the hudy lathes? I have heard all sorts of opinions from them been crap after a few cuts to been the best you can buy. Its not the automatic one!
Thanks for any help
Rick
Old 07-10-2002, 03:48 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Man, I've never heard of anything made by HUDY being crap.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thats just what some people said to me. Do you think its worth it then? Rick
Old 07-10-2002, 04:04 PM
Tech Adept

I like the Hudy products very much.. the only time I have heard of them going bad after a few cuts is with the standard bit (NOT THE DIAMOND) which is why it is very important to get a diamond bit from the start. Only thing I can say is get the lathe with the "V" guides and not the bearings... The bearings can shift durring a cut and the "V" guides only require a small dab of bushing oil to produce very high quality cuts.

Good luck with it!

F1-Fanatic

Last edited by F1-Fanatic; 07-10-2002 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

I have Tru Lathe 2 and a Fatom. The Trinity is a POS, the Fantom is great, though you have to play with it a bit to make it nice and smooth.

I have heard nothing but praise for Hudy products, I can't see why it would be a bad deal.

Go for it,
Josh
Old 07-10-2002, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by F1-Fanatic
Only thing I can say is get the lathe with the "V" guides and not the bearings... The bearings can shift durring a cut and the "V" guides only require a small dab of bushing oil to produce very high quality cuts.

Good luck with it!

F1-Fanatic
How does the bearings shift when they are supposed to spin freely in their set points? I'm asking this as a real question and not as a smart butt. I'd really like to know because I have the Hudy lathe with the bearings and I'm not happy with the way it's been cutting lately. I thought that it was out of alignment so I realigned it and then I thought that it was my diamond bit but it's not. The thing cut flawlessly for the first year but these last two months have been terrible. Do the bearings need to be replaced? Thanks in advance for any help you may give.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The bearings wouldn't actually shift, but all ball bearings have a certain amount of play in them. If a piece of dust or dirt (like a tiny copper particle or several) gets inside the bearing race, it can cause the bearings to run slightly untrue, which can compromise the cut quality. A few ten-thousanths of an inch of runout in one of the bearings would be enough to reduce the cut quality. I'd try a thorough cleaning of the bearings, or even replace them, or better yet, swap them for a set of v-block supports.

It's also possible that a particles of copper right on the outer surfaces of the bearing could cause the armature shaft to "hop" over them as it spins, but I'd think a particle inside the bearing where you can't see it would be a more likely culprit.

Trips
Old 07-10-2002, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

speedo, on your tru lathe 2 do u have play in the depth feed, because thats the problem that i had with mine,and i was getting horrible cuts every time, and it was pretty new, so i sent it to trinity and they sent me a new tru lathe 3 with v blocks and an extra set of ball bearings, and ive been able to get pretty decent cuts with it now. just thought id let u know cant guarantee trinity would send u a new lathe but they might be able to hewlp u out if it is fairly new. i still dont think the trinitys are as good as the hudys and cobras
Old 07-10-2002, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

No, there is no play, and it does do decent cuts, just that for the money what you get is outrageus. First one I got was really messed up, all jerky etc, so they replaced that...

Much happier with the fantom though

Josh
Old 07-10-2002, 07:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Trips- How do you get the bearings out to do a little cleaning to them? I took a closer look at the bearings in the lathe and the set on the right side have a rusty ish looking color to them while the other set look like bearing should look. I'm thinking replacement for both sides but I really want to know if this is the problem. Bearings are cheap but if it does the same thing then it's a deeper issue that I have no clue as to how to go about fixing it.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yai think id stick with the fantom too.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:45 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Default Re: Com lathes

Originally posted by Rick Draper
I have been offered a brand new Hudy com lathe for £130 with a dimond tip it has only been used once as the guy brought it but is giving up racing. What are peoples opinions on the hudy lathes? I have heard all sorts of opinions from them been crap after a few cuts to been the best you can buy. Its not the automatic one!
Thanks for any help
Rick
Hudy lathes are fine. I've had mine for a few years now. Original diamond bit still cuts great after well over 100+ comms!
Old 07-10-2002, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Hudy is definitely the "Mercedes" of lathes - well built and very solidly designed. Not sure how much 130 pounds is in dollars, but unless it's 2:1, that sounds like a killer deal.

I use a Cobra lathe - v-blocks on it and it works the best of any lathe I have used.

I had an original team Twister lathe and it was smooth and wonderful. The thing was 10 years old but worked like it was brand new. I was a dumba$$ and sold it. . .wish I had it back!

I had one Trinity lathe (built on the Twister patent) that used bearings rather than v-blocks. The play in the bearings is lateral play and it just didn't work as smooth as I wanted - also little bits of comm (that of course fly all over) tended to get down in there and make the bearings get kinda grindy. I spent a lot of time cleaning them. No problem with a V-block. . .
Old 07-11-2002, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by STLNLST
Trips- How do you get the bearings out to do a little cleaning to them?
I've only owned Cobra lathes, so I have no idea how you'd go about cleaning or removing the bearings on a Hudy. Sorry.

T
Old 07-11-2002, 05:36 AM
Tech Adept

If you check the prices on the Apex site you'll see the basic lathe is £129.95 plus £49.95 for the diamond tip so assuming the diamond is ok you're best part of £50 up. If however is got the bearing supports as well then they cost another £79.95 in which case its a good deal go for it. If not then its marginal depending on the tip condition unless you know where you can it re-dressed at a reasonable cost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.