Wiki Posts
Search

Doing Away With Boosted....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Guys, this ship has not only sailed but was burned and sunk right outside the harbor to prevent any others from coming into port. The bottom line was certain big RC companies were getting blown out of the water and needed a repreive, and spec motor racing was getting so fast it wasn't even funny, so boost is dead in spec motor racing.
Conspiracy much?
Old 05-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

After reading all of this thread, I have to throw my two cents into this. Has anyone ever watched 17.5 blinky in 1s 12th scale? Talk about boring. I litterly fell asleep watching a heat. Now that I'm getting back into 12th scale it will be at least 13.5, possably 10.5 blinky if I'm comfortable enough with the car. Sooner or later, I'm sure it will be 10.5 though. It seems to me that the slower guys seem to want the faster guys to slow down so that have a better chance of beating them. I'm sorry but that's just garbage! The best always come out ahead. Thats the cold hard truth, wether you like it or not. If you want to beat them, then set goals and work on your set-up and driveline instead of whining. Also, boosted doesn't hurt the motor, it actually saves it. I ran consistantly cooler temps in boosted than in blinky. So now when you hurt a motor, instead of spending 34-40 dollars for a motor, its at least 75 bucks. I could keep going on, but why bother. Those of you who are against going fast and becoming a better driver will only find this post something else to whine about.

P.S. If you really want to solve alot of issues in the onroad community, then take it back to stock and mod classes and thats it. Perhaps 13.5 blinky for stock, and mod is any boosted motor you want. At least this way the classes wouldn't be watered down.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

First off, I race pan cars, all opinions are based on that....

I used to be a fairly strong supporter of Boosted

Nowadays, it doesn't really matter what we run, as long as there is a class to race, it's always fun

12th 17.5 blinky is cool when you have a smallish indoor track, outdoors 13.5 should be the spec, as it was at the Roar Nats last year

13.5 blinky WGT is real easy to get up to speed

Blinky imo, is a tad bit easier to find the sweet spot for a motor
Boosted, is cool, NewTech is fun, practically any esc can keep up at this point

Mod is obviously fun too

That's all I got

Bring your stuff out and race, the rest will sort itself out
Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
After reading all of this thread, I have to throw my two cents into this. Has anyone ever watched 17.5 blinky in 1s 12th scale? Talk about boring. I litterly fell asleep watching a heat. Now that I'm getting back into 12th scale it will be at least 13.5, possably 10.5 blinky if I'm comfortable enough with the car. Sooner or later, I'm sure it will be 10.5 though. It seems to me that the slower guys seem to want the faster guys to slow down so that have a better chance of beating them. I'm sorry but that's just garbage! The best always come out ahead. Thats the cold hard truth, wether you like it or not. If you want to beat them, then set goals and work on your set-up and driveline instead of whining. Also, boosted doesn't hurt the motor, it actually saves it. I ran consistantly cooler temps in boosted than in blinky. So now when you hurt a motor, instead of spending 34-40 dollars for a motor, its at least 75 bucks. I could keep going on, but why bother. Those of you who are against going fast and becoming a better driver will only find this post something else to whine about.

P.S. If you really want to solve alot of issues in the onroad community, then take it back to stock and mod classes and thats it. Perhaps 13.5 blinky for stock, and mod is any boosted motor you want. At least this way the classes wouldn't be watered down.
Well, as one of the people who knows they don't have the talent for a fast car, thanks so much for telling me that the only way i will learn to drive is to get a fast car. That's be the way every champion motor racer has done it, go straight into IndyCar, F1, etc. without bothering with the lower-powered classes so they can learn to drive.

The point is that the slower cars are there for people who start, and people who know they can't drive a fast car. We don't whine, we just drive. We don't set goals, this is a hobby and we want to turn up, drive close races with friends, have fun and not break the bank doing that. When are people like you going to learn that most National Associations have many thousands of members, of whom 200 or so turn up to race fast at big races, and the rest drive their local club. Stop telling me to go fast and let me choose.

My choice would be a blinky class, and it would be 17.5 for any on-road class as Stock, and Mod as any motor you like with any timing you like on the motor and the speedo. Two classes, that's it, Stock and Mod. How simple would that be...
Old 05-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The only really good point I do agree with is that there are to many classes. Stock and mod is all that are needed. I have never understood why there needs to be 3-4 different classes of the same cars. If it doesn't meet the rules for stock then its mod. Simple. That would take so much BS out of this hobby it would be great.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

We went like this...
When boost went crazy, TC all but died and 1/12 did die.
VTA brought new TC racers.
Short course brought 20+ more racers, spawning 5-8 new VTA racers.
1/12 21.5 blinky has brought 8 new 1/12 racers from VTA.
Before you know things are back on the up swing. This fall more even truckers are expected to move up.
Bitch all you want, bringing the speed down has brought new racers. I rather race in town then drive 2-3 hours to race with "fast" guys that have all the answers...and dwindling numbers.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MC112b
1/12 21.5 blinky has brought 8 new 1/12 racers from VTA.
Really? I am trying to decide if that's a brilliant class or the dumbest thing ever.

Being a highly experienced racer, I find 1/12th 17.5 boosted to be so slow it's boring as hell. I can only imagine how bad 21.5 blinky is.

But then again, I started out doing something like that. I started racing with the good old gold tub RC10 with foam tires on a carpet oval. 27 turn stock motors, stick packs, lots of grip, very slow, it was easy to learn and lots of fun.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Really? I am trying to decide if that's a brilliant class or the dumbest thing ever.

Being a highly experienced racer, I find 1/12th 17.5 boosted to be so slow it's boring as hell. I can only imagine how bad 21.5 blinky is.

But then again, I started out doing something like that. I started racing with the good old gold tub RC10 with foam tires on a carpet oval. 27 turn stock motors, stick packs, lots of grip, very slow, it was easy to learn and lots of fun.
It sounds bad, but you can run 3 deep door to door and no one crashes. Easier on tires and bodies thanks to less crashing. It's Bob Stormer inspired. Some guys balked it, but tried it and liked it. It was fun running 12 again. Then 4-5 guys that never wanted to run 12th in the first place ( do to speed or other drama), tried it and really like. I personally would like to run 17.5, but when you have nothing to begin with something has to be done. 3 of us ran as an exhibition class one night, by seasons end we flirted with 10 entries almost weekly.

It's sort of like your either part of the problem, or part of the solution. No in between. A few of us walked the walk and we're "slowly" but surely bringing it back. Proof is in the numbers.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

this is funny
Attached Thumbnails Doing Away With Boosted....-beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman-d3fead4.jpg  
Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Addict

One thing seems clear, racers need different car specs to get the most enjoyment from their racing.

Since blinky came in to a local club I race at, the drivers are coming off the rostrum grinning. There have been significantly fewer crashes, hardly any at all now, and close racing for the whole 5 minutes..this is great and makes for a good atmosphere at the club

However there still exists a boosted 13.5 class, and I like this much much better, and I get close racing with the guys who also prefer this, as they are able to handle the power, so we come off the rostrum grinning too

I have noticed one important thing though. I (almost) never use full boost indoors, its all about being brave enough to turn the power down, I notice many drivers simply cannot bring themselves to do this despite me telling them repeatedly that they have far too much power, missing apexes and crashing everywhere, they will not listen no matter what, then they go considerably faster in blinky, drive much better lines, and enjoy themselves much more. A previous poster made the point about slower drivers not motoring down and calling for everyone to go blinky, I think its a fair point.

I understand and agree the life and soul of any club are drivers of average ability getting together to have fun racing. Without those guys the faster guys would not have any club to go to. Blinky seems to be the tonic here.

However, if the faster drivers want a stiffer challenge, boosted or mod is simply the only thing to keep the interest, I think they should also be allowed to race with others who are like minded if numbers are sufficient. For me I enjoy progress and learning about set up and driving, knowing how much power you need is part of that equation too. Mod seems quite unpopular here in the UK so its boosted 13.5/10.5 for me

Last edited by hana166; 05-27-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
Well, as one of the people who knows they don't have the talent for a fast car, thanks so much for telling me that the only way i will learn to drive is to get a fast car. That's be the way every champion motor racer has done it, go straight into IndyCar, F1, etc. without bothering with the lower-powered classes so they can learn to drive.

The point is that the slower cars are there for people who start, and people who know they can't drive a fast car. We don't whine, we just drive. We don't set goals, this is a hobby and we want to turn up, drive close races with friends, have fun and not break the bank doing that. When are people like you going to learn that most National Associations have many thousands of members, of whom 200 or so turn up to race fast at big races, and the rest drive their local club. Stop telling me to go fast and let me choose.

My choice would be a blinky class, and it would be 17.5 for any on-road class as Stock, and Mod as any motor you like with any timing you like on the motor and the speedo. Two classes, that's it, Stock and Mod. How simple would that be...
I thought whole point of going to a race is to go fast? If you want to go slow then run VTA or mini cooper. Back when we ran brushed on the indoor asphalt track I used to run at, we had three choices for each class was stock, 19 turn and mod. The sad part is brushed stock was faster than 17.5 blinky is now. And thats with the lipo's having slightly more voltage. Then you throw in the fact that pan car is a single cell and that has less voltage than the four cell we used to run.
When I go to the track and run 13.5 or 10.5,I'm not breaking the bank and I am having fun with my friends. I understand you have to start somewhere, and obvisously you dont want to throw a new guy into a mod class. But here lately it seems that there some in the hobby and on the net that seem that they want to make the choice for everyone, and the choices they are making have taken the hobby in the wrong direction.
One more thing about breaking the bank. If you take away the boost option and everyone runs blinky, then you have started the motor,battery and speedo wars again. And now it has become alot more expensive. Everyone will be out to get the hot go fast item of the week. And for those of you whole say all lipo's are the same, come to Springfeild Ohio and one of the track owners and myself will prove you wrong. I strapped in one of his batteries after running my off the shelf battery, and went 4-5 tenths faster WITHOUT any changes what-so-ever.
You want to solve alot of the issues with this hobby, run these three in touring car-17.5 blinky, 13.5 blinky, and mod. For pan car, 13.5 blinky and mod. You want to run a slower class and have fun, run mini cooper. Thats all we need.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

...The natural response to your post is...and I'm ashamed of myself for asking I wanna know what lipo gave those gains, so I can go out and get one
Old 05-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hana166
...The natural response to your post is...and I'm ashamed of myself for asking I wanna know what lipo gave those gains, so I can go out and get one
I found .2 with a battery. One pack was .2 faster than 4 or 5 others which were all about the same. They do make a difference, especially in blinky.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

I thought whole point of going to a race is to go fast? If you want to go slow then run VTA or mini cooper. Back when we ran brushed on the indoor asphalt track I used to run at, we had three choices for each class was stock, 19 turn and mod. The sad part is brushed stock was faster than 17.5 blinky is now. And thats with the lipo's having slightly more voltage. Then you throw in the fact that pan car is a single cell and that has less voltage than the four cell we used to run.
When I go to the track and run 13.5 or 10.5,I'm not breaking the bank and I am having fun with my friends. I understand you have to start somewhere, and obvisously you dont want to throw a new guy into a mod class. But here lately it seems that there some in the hobby and on the net that seem that they want to make the choice for everyone, and the choices they are making have taken the hobby in the wrong direction.
One more thing about breaking the bank. If you take away the boost option and everyone runs blinky, then you have started the motor,battery and speedo wars again. And now it has become alot more expensive. Everyone will be out to get the hot go fast item of the week. And for those of you whole say all lipo's are the same, come to Springfeild Ohio and one of the track owners and myself will prove you wrong. I strapped in one of his batteries after running my off the shelf battery, and went 4-5 tenths faster WITHOUT any changes what-so-ever.
You want to solve alot of the issues with this hobby, run these three in touring car-17.5 blinky, 13.5 blinky, and mod. For pan car, 13.5 blinky and mod. You want to run a slower class and have fun, run mini cooper. Thats all we need.
You thought wrong if by fast you mean straight line speed. Again, there are thousands of people racing cars (and full-size cars) yet only 25 or so race IndyCar or F1.

The main reason that there is apparently not a motor/cell-of-the-week is that most people driving boosted classes cannot use all the power they have, because the chassis' just cannot cope. Instead of it being a power war it becomes a set-up war where those who can't find one can't compete, and those who can't afford the eternal new chassis parts and new tyres are left behind.

It doesn't matter which class you run, there always one area where people get left behind because of cost. If drivers prefer boosted let them drive it. But to sentence me and many others who don't want boosted to run Minis or VTA is arrogance beyond comprehension! I want to run my class with a power level I can cope with, and one which does not involve the eternal fiddling with speedo settings and having the best motor to cope with heat and...

Luckily you don't control what is run and where, so I will be enjoying a blinky class in my races. I just hope that when new drivers turn up with their low-cost blinky speedos in their cars you don't dismiss them as worthless, otherwise your club won't be around to long. Still ...
Old 05-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
You thought wrong if by fast you mean straight line speed. Again, there are thousands of people racing cars (and full-size cars) yet only 25 or so race IndyCar or F1.

The main reason that there is apparently not a motor/cell-of-the-week is that most people driving boosted classes cannot use all the power they have, because the chassis' just cannot cope. Instead of it being a power war it becomes a set-up war where those who can't find one can't compete, and those who can't afford the eternal new chassis parts and new tyres are left behind.

It doesn't matter which class you run, there always one area where people get left behind because of cost. If drivers prefer boosted let them drive it. But to sentence me and many others who don't want boosted to run Minis or VTA is arrogance beyond comprehension! I want to run my class with a power level I can cope with, and one which does not involve the eternal fiddling with speedo settings and having the best motor to cope with heat and...

Luckily you don't control what is run and where, so I will be enjoying a blinky class in my races. I just hope that when new drivers turn up with their low-cost blinky speedos in their cars you don't dismiss them as worthless, otherwise your club won't be around to long. Still ...
Wow, you obviosly didn't read all my post. I said that I wanted to have the classes set-up as 17.5 blinky touring car and 13.5 blinky pan car as the stock classes. You hearing what you just want to hear. You just want to run the class you want to run. Talk about arrogance! Why don't we dillute the classes even more! And just for the record, we have had many drivers show up with lower cost stuff and they have been competitve. Come to think of it, the track I race at is growing! Thats because show up, put on their big boy pants and run the classes that are offered! So flame on, blink on, stomp your feet and do what ever it takes to get your way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.