Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

>zing< lol
Old 06-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Because it's not nitro
Nice easy answer, it could be done but in would require a change. Most people don't like change but moan, groan and complain about the way things are now.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi316
Why can't onroad and offroad electric, just do away with motor class and make it like nitro.
It's called mod. Run it, it's fun.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

I agree that changing class structure/formatting would be nice, but not on a yearly (or so) basis. Most old schoolers (including myself) dont wanna let go of the 'stock and mod' formats, its understandable though because keeping it simple keeps it cheaper and keeps more people in the hobby.

It seems that race organizations are letting corporate and/or racer desires sway their rules... in order to make everyone happy.

In the end though, racing isnt fair. We all have to accept the fact that 2nd is first loser... regardless of what class/format youre in. So, you have to LOVE the hobby to be willing to come back week after week and accept losing in order to get good enough to fit in that #1 spot.

So, whats cheapest? What will keep the racers coming back to the track week after week gunning for that top spot? IMO, and it is just that... opinion... i dont see blinky as a savior. I see it as another fad thats tearing the hobby apart.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wingracer
It's called mod. Run it, it's fun.
I run open buggy and truck, my son runs a non boosted buggy in open class because we never seem to have enough to run a novice or 17.5. He does ok and most of the mod guys don't seem to mind. I understand the old school mentally of mod and stock. When i first started racing in 89, i started in novice and i had to place in the top 5 of the point series before i was allowed to. move up. Most clubs don't do this anymore, everything is so watered down with all the different motor classes. Thats why i brought the nitro format.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Same for me... you had to meet a certain performance aspect before you could 'graduate' to mod. Modified was considered 'the' class to run if you wanted to be fast... stock was for 'teething'. Every week i came to the track to beat my own laptimes, and make the best of what i had...
Old 06-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
True, but I still find that scenario to be odd.

In the "good ole' days", the goal was always to get good enough to graduate to Mod.

Now, it seems like the goal is to win whatever "spec" class an individual can find an advantage in.

Seems weird to an "old-school" racer like me.

Just the New World Order I guess.
I ran back in the day too but we never had a mod class to run. No one even discussed it. We ran legends, stock f1 and stock tc outdoor and ran 27t 1/12 indoor in the winter. Maybe we weren't on the same playing field as the rest of the country but we had great races and a lot of fun.

If boost is a great equalizer then why isn't there a 35 turn boosted class so speeds can remain slower for the guys who don't want to go that fast. Kind of an entry level boosted class. Then people can graduate up as their skills increase. Hmmmm boosted vta cars sounds interesting.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
I don't know if I agree with this considering that the vta thread is one of the most popular on road threads on rc tech. Heck we can't even get a stable tc class at our track at all. Mod or blinky. Usgt and vta are by far the most popular classes at our track.
oh I'm sorry, I thought this was another thread about blinky. not VTA
Old 06-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DaveW
Ive been to plenty of 'big races', on and offroad. Any type of change would require a learning curve... and we can all agree that open practice is greatly different from quals or mains. If quals and mains were like open practice... it might not be so bad... either way. But i digress...

1/8th electric truggy/buggy offroad. Blinky isnt an issue, and one reason i run those classes. No one said 'run what ya brung'...
yea, "just about"
Old 06-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Champion

Why can't onroad and offroad electric, just do away with motor class and make it like nitro. You have sportsman, intermediate and pro. It might be hard to do for club racing but bigger events you could do it. If you placed in the A main in the sportsman class at a big event, then the next year you cant run sportsman at that event the following year. This way you dont have to worry about boost or not, if you choose to run a boosted 17.5 then don't get upset if you get beat by someone running a 8.5 and vice versa.
if you look at the entry list for a race like the reedy, you'll see many that ran mod and 13.5 or 13.5 and 17.5 if it was just a 13.5 race, it'd be hard to say what would happen, many 17.5 guys wouldn't race its to fast, some Mod guys wouldn't run cause its to slow, but it would make for a heck of show for those that did run.

if it was a 8.5 motor limit, I'm pretty sure most would run boosted,
Old 06-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nice easy answer, it could be done but in would require a change. Most people don't like change but moan, groan and complain about the way things are now.
It was an easy answer because the premise is as silly as someone who races the Baja 1000 telling Bernie Ecclestone how he needs to change the formula for F1.

Mod touring cars and 1/12, at least related to carpet racing, are lighter, faster and usually run in a much more confined space than off-road. This isn't even taking into account these cars aren't traction limited like off-road. This isn't to say that off-road is slow or imply there isn't as much skill involved to drive them but it is a very different animal. It is an apples to oranges comparison that is very hard to make work. If it was that simple anyone driving mod or open off-road should be able to go straight to mod on-road. I've seen a few try this year and they were getting mopped in VTA which is our slowest class. Maybe the very talented can do it but for the average person the off road model just isn't going to work well in on-road.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Rookie

I think both are great, blinky is great for new comers cause they know there competing with people with the same set up just different gearing. After raving that for a few if they feel the want more speed they can got to a different class such as boosted but I think an love blinky cause the cars aren't to fast and its a great class for my kids to get into cause their isn't any esc to mess with. I think blinky help to bring more people in.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

Chaz and sky i see your points, i was just thinking it would be easier to separate by driver skill level instead of motors or to boost or not to boost.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Chaz and sky i see your points, i was just thinking it would be easier to separate by driver skill level instead of motors or to boost or not to boost.
honestly, I don't think that is a bad idea in theory. Right now I'd just like to stick with a rules set for more than 6 or 12 months before another change.

I'm just looking forward to racing again.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveW
I agree that changing class structure/formatting would be nice, but not on a yearly (or so) basis. Most old schoolers (including myself) dont wanna let go of the 'stock and mod' formats, its understandable though because keeping it simple keeps it cheaper and keeps more people in the hobby.

It seems that race organizations are letting corporate and/or racer desires sway their rules... in order to make everyone happy.

In the end though, racing isnt fair. We all have to accept the fact that 2nd is first loser... regardless of what class/format youre in. So, you have to LOVE the hobby to be willing to come back week after week and accept losing in order to get good enough to fit in that #1 spot.

So, whats cheapest? What will keep the racers coming back to the track week after week gunning for that top spot? IMO, and it is just that... opinion... i dont see blinky as a savior. I see it as another fad thats tearing the hobby apart.
We used to have blinky, it was called brushed motors. I don't remember that tearing the hobby apart...

You're right, racing isn't fair. In my area, boosted was tearing us apart because it was making the cars too fast for most people, and it was definitely making the performance disparity larger because so many people could not sort out their programming and gearing. Even when people copy set-ups from the manufacturers or their friends, they can't get on ith them due to different driving styles, use of a different motor or differing levels of grip at different tracks. For us, blinky has brought is all back together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.