Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya F104 Version 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

Just got my ver. 2, what are must need spare parts?
Old 07-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bosfan
Exclusive to the V2
Alloy roll damper
Side links
Side spring set

For all f104's
Front springs
Front arms
C clips that hold the spring in place. I know the V2 uses E-clips but I find the C clips from the prior model f104's better especially if you do remove and re-fit the clip a number of times.
Rear wing

That pretty much covers anything you can break/lose on the f104. Especially if you upgraded the v2 with some additional alloy & carbon options.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Want to try some shimizu rubber on my v2 and tryed some of the softest rear tamiya rubber tyres with there hardest fronts and found it had good rear grip but no front grip and huge under steer with no steering compared to the soft/hard tamiya foam combo I also had tryed.
Its winter here so temps about 10C if you are lucky and running on outdoor ashphelt and what combo would you guys suggest?
cheers.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malcnz
Want to try some shimizu rubber on my v2 and tryed some of the softest rear tamiya rubber tyres with there hardest fronts and found it had good rear grip but no front grip and huge under steer with no steering compared to the soft/hard tamiya foam combo I also had tryed.
Its winter here so temps about 10C if you are lucky and running on outdoor ashphelt and what combo would you guys suggest?
cheers.
Shimizu 571/575 is perfect in cold weather.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 AM
Tech Master

cheers and rc mart have both of those
Old 07-10-2012, 04:23 AM
dfx
Tech Adept

My V2 is home but I'm afraid I will not be able to finish my car for this weekends race.
Please share your setup experience. I found AE black soft spring (looks much softer with more coils than the stock gold Tamiya spring), don't know if it fits the RM-01 damper but I'm going to try it...
Old 07-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thread lock of choice these day's?
F104 Kit suggests a Tamiya thread lock, but usually I find they are pretty much the same type of thing.
I also have just got a Xray T3, so will need thread lock for that as well.
(I'm getting back into racing after 12 year break, so I'm sure most people have found thread locks that work well now).
Old 07-10-2012, 03:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Telinoz1975
Thread lock of choice these day's?
F104 Kit suggests a Tamiya thread lock, but usually I find they are pretty much the same type of thing.
I also have just got a Xray T3, so will need thread lock for that as well.
(I'm getting back into racing after 12 year break, so I'm sure most people have found thread locks that work well now).
Blue loctite from the hardware store, little bottle lasts forever
Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default upright

Guys...need help on the upright setting...

I buy the hop up upright...now my question is...on the original upright there are 2 spacer on top and 1 spacer bottom...where on hop up, there are 1 each spacer on top and bottom...
So do you put all of them on the hop up? So its become 3 top and 2 bottom?

Because when I put only 1 each side..there is a play and I'm still using the original kingpin which do not have 2 e-clip to hold the spacer...

Thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

For thread lock you might look at the associated thread lock. It's the same as the loctite brand but they put it in a nice bottle that makes it really easy to get very small amounts onto screws without making a mess. It does cost more but IMO the bottle is totally worth it.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...cking-Adhesive
Old 07-11-2012, 01:07 AM
dfx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by k4mp4q
...on the original upright there are 2 spacer on top and 1 spacer bottom...where on hop up, there are 1 each spacer on top and bottom...
So do you put all of them on the hop up? So its become 3 top and 2 bottom?

Because when I put only 1 each side..there is a play and I'm still using the original kingpin which do not have 2 e-clip to hold the spacer...
Use only the 3 original spacers...

EDIT: It looks that I'm wrong, those 1.5mm spacers are probably needed to match the size of the stock plastic uprights. Make sure that the size of uprights with (stock) spacers is the same with stock and with hop up uprights! For the F104 arms You do need F104 king pins so that should be OK but don't forget to tighten the set screw in upright that holds the king pin...

Last edited by dfx; 07-11-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:44 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bosfan
Get the L parts (side links) and front suspension parts (plastic)
Those are the two must have parts in your pit box.

Also, here are some base set ups in case anyone wanted to get a decent starting point using rubber tires on both carpet and asphalt.

http://www.teamtrf.com/index.php/set...ategory/7-f104
Old 07-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dfx
Use only the 3 original spacers...

EDIT: It looks that I'm wrong, those 1.5mm spacers are probably needed to match the size of the stock plastic uprights. Make sure that the size of uprights with (stock) spacers is the same with stock and with hop up uprights! For the F104 arms You do need F104 king pins so that should be OK but don't forget to tighten the set screw in upright that holds the king pin...
thanks dfx..
so it will be 3 spacer on top and 2 spacer on bottom...since the hop up upright is shorter than the original plastic upright.
one more question... the screw on the upright, its suppose to screw it to center of the kingpin? which have line for e-ring? or it can be anywhere...

thanks
Old 07-12-2012, 02:21 AM
dfx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by k4mp4q
so it will be 3 spacer on top and 2 spacer on bottom...since the hop up upright is shorter than the original plastic upright.
one more question... the screw on the upright, its suppose to screw it to center of the kingpin? which have line for e-ring? or it can be anywhere...
One silver spacer at the top and one at the bottom should be the stock position (equal to the plastic upright) but all spacers can be used to adjust ride height.
Set screw can be anywhere (it depeds on the ride height adjustment) but the front suspension works best when the upright doesn't slide on king pin...therefore the screw needs to be tighten (threadlock recommended).
Old 07-12-2012, 06:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dfx
One silver spacer at the top and one at the bottom should be the stock position (equal to the plastic upright) but all spacers can be used to adjust ride height.
Set screw can be anywhere (it depeds on the ride height adjustment) but the front suspension works best when the upright doesn't slide on king pin...therefore the screw needs to be tighten (threadlock recommended).
Ok° thanks again..

I will try the setup from the trf website...will see how it goes tomorrow...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.