Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Gyros and Traction Control: Illegal Forever? >

Gyros and Traction Control: Illegal Forever?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gyros and Traction Control: Illegal Forever?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Gyros and Traction Control: Illegal Forever?

Hi guys, I just wanted to start a thread concerning driving aids in R/C. I know that as of now traction control and active aids such as gyros and stabilizers are illegal, but what I'm not so sure of is that they should be. Here's what I'm on about.

First, gyros and traction control would not be expensive, you can buy a working drift gyro for like thirty bucks, and it will take out many of your driving problems that people struggle with like traction-rolling and loose setups. Drivers could be far more ham-fisted (AKA, newbies) and still get around the track at a respectable pace. That would make racing better for even the good drivers, who don't have to dodge them as much.

Traction control could be nearly free, with today's sensored brushless systems constantly measuring the speed of your motor, a software upgrade could introduce a rudimentary traction control system based on how fast or slow your spooling up.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Hi guys, I just wanted to start a thread concerning driving aids in R/C. I know that as of now traction control and active aids such as gyros and stabilizers are illegal, but what I'm not so sure of is that they should be. Here's what I'm on about.

First, gyros and traction control would not be expensive, you can buy a working drift gyro for like thirty bucks, and it will take out many of your driving problems that people struggle with like traction-rolling and loose setups. Drivers could be far more ham-fisted (AKA, newbies) and still get around the track at a respectable pace. That would make racing better for even the good drivers, who don't have to dodge them as much.

Traction control could be nearly free, with today's sensored brushless systems constantly measuring the speed of your motor, a software upgrade could introduce a rudimentary traction control system based on how fast or slow your spooling up.

What do you guys think?
My opinion is that if you do these things you might as well program the thing to drive itself. This isn't supposed to be a see how much stuff we can shove on the chassis to make it easier to drive hobby. Personally I think todays speed controls are too adjustable and driver skill is starting to give way to programming skill. Keep some of the human factor in the race. Don't computerize all of it.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

My gyro is in blinky mode, but the software hasn't been approved by ROAR yet.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've often pondered about a 'Software' traction control through sensored motors, I thought i't would be possible but the question is why would you want it?

It's a driver aid which really shouldn't be in any form of competitive motor sport.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

The M11 has traction control. I been using it in tc/vta to allow me to clamp the throttle and only allow the car to excelerate to its normal acceleration and heep temps lower thruout the run
Old 04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

The argument that control aids have no place in motorsport I can't really agree with, even if you drive a minivan to the track in probably has traction control, stability control, anti-lock brakes, and in some of the new cars you can't even turn those off if you want to.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
The argument that control aids have no place in motorsport I can't really agree with, even if you drive a minivan to the track in probably has traction control, stability control, anti-lock brakes, and in some of the new cars you can't even turn those off if you want to.
Those are safety feature, comfort feature that save the driver life, none of them will made the car any faster...

Your car will be much faster when you turned them off....thats why RC car should not have any gyro...if there is a interest in gyro, they should play RC heli or plane...
Old 04-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Gyros are delicious and should be encouraged in all forms of racing.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Steve S
Gyros are delicious and should be encouraged in all forms of racing.
With extra special tire sauce.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Could driver's aids be beneficial? To most of us average racers, I'd say no. There are already classes full of cars that can just about go flat out all the way around the track. Our problem in general is teaching anyone new to the hobby to slow down and be smooth first and then learn to go faster. Learning to tune the suspension to get rid of traction roll, under-steer and over-steer are good teaching topics. If we want more and better long term racers at the track, they don't need training wheels, just training.

Great topic by the way!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Most of the cars at races are DIALED. what would traction control do lol?
Old 04-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would prefer to keep things simple. Take most of the programming out, if you spin out of loose control... slow down! Could it have a purpose in bashing so kids dont destroy their cars, sure. In racing lets leave it to driver skill. I too agree that today's radios and ESCs are too advanced.

Keep RC racing simple, just like I like my muscle cars. No fancy computers, just a 6 barrel carb under the hood and 4 on the floor!!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
The M11 has traction control. I been using it in tc/vta to allow me to clamp the throttle and only allow the car to excelerate to its normal acceleration and heep temps lower thruout the run
That's not actually traction control. Real traction control would require a speed sensor on the vehicle to compare RPM to.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
Did you just say you need traction control and VTA in the same sentence?
I can hear all the UK drivers laughing at us already! (hahah 10.5 is stock, not 17.5!!)
Old 04-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikeXray
I can hear all the UK drivers laughing at us already!
NEVER...alright, maybe a wry smile

Traction control is not required, just modulate your fingers and thumbs.

You should race in the UK during most of our summer series, as they are usualy in the rain.

When you have boosted 10.5 and 13.5 and wet greasy tracks you learn to be smoother.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

P.S. I love racing in the wet, it prevents it all being about the power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.