Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Behavior in this Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Bob Nilsen
Stop the "mega-thread" mentality... People just don't take the time to read all 100 pages of the TC4 thread. And... collecting all data for a particular car in one thread makes it harder to search for a certain topic. If a user wants to know about "TC4 gearing"... it'd be way better to have that information collected in a thread that's just about TC4 gearing... that way someone could search just the titles of threads and find it immediately.
I couldn't agree more. These threads are so huge finding the right info is impossible. Splitting into sub-forums would be great! Please consider this.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Behavior in this Forum

Originally posted by futureal
So I log in after work tonight, and what do I see? All out nonsense all across the Electric Forum.
And I see users using the topical threads here for instant messaging--one line messages full of smiles, icons, and other junk that adds nothing to the discussion.

Thanks.
I couldnt agree more!!

You should try to wade thru the 300+ pages of the pro4 forumto find a setup or some info,

ITS FULL OF ONE LINERS!!

Just my .02$
Old 02-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree keep up the good work

Last edited by stinkypop; 02-07-2005 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

The forums that I usually go with have been very helpful. Yes there is a lot of general junk jawing, but any chat place (billboard, chat room, etc) is going to have some junk posts. No one can stop it.

As a rule when I respond I try to give advice from what I have learned over time and on here. I've seen those people who prefer to poke fun at the newbies. I think some people just don't get it when you are seriously looking for advice on a setup or even an explination of a term, that person may have been like you were when you had your first kit. Pretty much clueless. Respect = Respect. The people who ask are the ones that want to learn and grow within the hobby.

Remember this also. It's not only adults who go into this forum. Some of those newbie questions are crude because it might be someone that is fairly young and doesn't have the lingo down yet. Ever tried to ask for help on something when you don't even know the name is for it? Not easy.

The product compairing forums I think are good and bad. There is a lot of fluff in them. It's too bad that we can't only have the people that have used both products be the ones who reply. Chances are they would be more informative rather than the, "I like because I've always gone with them," posts that most end up being. Just like there are specific reasons I chose what I did, because something seemed more tailored to my style. My $.02
Old 02-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree with Futureal......

I was about to PM him about the recent avatars poping up with naked ladies in them. Don't get me wrong, I rather enjoy them, but I sometimes come on here with my 9 year old daughter sitting next to me. I get tired of trying to explain what the girl in the picture is doing

Anyway, Shane ( I think that's his name) surely doesn't deserve all the crap going on in his forum lately. From what I understand he finances most of this out of his own pocket. I for one couldn't imagine this hobby without RCtech. I don't even go to any other forums anymore. Just like racetracks, if we don't support and take car of this forum, It will probably go away.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by D_Ames
I agree with Futureal......

I was about to PM him about the recent avatars poping up with naked ladies in them. Don't get me wrong, I rather enjoy them, but I sometimes come on here with my 9 year old daughter sitting next to me. I get tired of trying to explain what the girl in the picture is doing

Anyway, Shane ( I think that's his name) surely doesn't deserve all the crap going on in his forum lately. From what I understand he finances most of this out of his own pocket. I for one couldn't imagine this hobby without RCtech. I don't even go to any other forums anymore. Just like racetracks, if we don't support and take car of this forum, It will probably go away.
Well said.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

This may be a bit out of line, but I am always seeing posts in response to threads that criticize the other posters on their ability with grammar and spelling. It just seems ridiculous to me that when a person comes to forums for help with a hobby problem, they instead get schooled on the proper use of the English language. Many of the people here use English as their second language and they seem to be getting along just fine with their writing, however, there always seems to be people who just wait to prey on others for a spelling mistake. Enough is enough people. Let's be considerate to everyone, and treat them like proper adults even if they do not write properly. With this said, I am going to stop writing before I committ a grammar error of some sort.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:44 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Yea, it seems that every forum has one or two people that love to point out peoples' spelling and grammar mistakes.

Similarly, there's always a few people who like to pretend there are moderators. Ever notice that it's always the same few people who respond to new threads with "This has already been asked" or "Wrong forum" or "If you were smart you would have searched for it." In most cases they could just answer the thread starter's question and be done with it.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Indeed!
I would just hate to be the newbie to this hobby and get greeted with all kinds of criticism when coming to the forum for help. "Hey your grammar is messed up, you need to learn to write and then come back and ask your question." Or perhaps, "Can't you use the search feature...blah, blah, blah."
We should be fostering an interest in our hobby and doing our best not to cause any aversion towards r/c whatsoever.
Thanks for backing me up futureal...I thought I was going to get flamed.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:51 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Plus we have to remember that probably 30-40% of the users of this site are not native English speakers.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

That sounds about right, because this is an international community of r/c enthusiasts that visit this web forum. It would be kind of ethnocentric of us to criticize a racer's English when he may be from Japan. Conversely, I bet he could sure criticize our use of the Japanese language on a foreign messageboard.
I dunno..maybe I have been in California too long. I just really feel that we should pay attention to issues like this.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I didnt have a chance to read the whole forum, but I feel that the "YGPM" posts are kinda useless. I admit that Im guilty of them in the past, but just set your preferences to use a pop-up box in case of a new PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Tech Regular

That's how I get my PMs.....but I guess sometimes people just get a little anxious.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by jackfast
This may be a bit out of line, but I am always seeing posts in response to threads that criticize the other posters on their ability with grammar and spelling. It just seems ridiculous to me that when a person comes to forums for help with a hobby problem, they instead get schooled on the proper use of the English language. Many of the people here use English as their second language and they seem to be getting along just fine with their writing, however, there always seems to be people who just wait to prey on others for a spelling mistake. Enough is enough people. Let's be considerate to everyone, and treat them like proper adults even if they do not write properly. With this said, I am going to stop writing before I committ a grammar error of some sort.
It is one thing to make a spelling or grammar mistake, it is another thing to use SMS language in a post. English is not even my second language, yet my english is fairly good, and while spelling mistakes are fine with me (as long as I understand what's written, lol) I will for sure ask someone who writes in TXT lingo to re-write his question. Fortunately I haven't had this problem on here (yet) but I've seen that happen quite a lot on other forums.

PS : English people would say that americans can't speak english anyway
Old 02-08-2005, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

We're all guilty of spelling and gramar from time to time.... It's the blatant "I nEeD HelP WitH My XmOd" that drives me nuts... Or the "Ny 1 dun dis" posts... How about we start posting in pig latin Kayoay???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.